• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from a Beemer!

Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Moore
Hello from Stephen and Patricia!

Me and my wife have been enjoying riding our K1200lt for several years now. We have enjoyed the comfort and many miles of three of these bikes so far. We enjoy long trips during the summer months which have included Baltimore, Gatlinburg, Sante Fe, Grand Tetons, Pacific coast Highway and many more shorter trips. We are currently members of BMWMOA, AMA, and BMWLT.net groups.

Hey welcome to the site.
You'll meet a lot of nice folks and can usually find a ride going on the weekends to somewhere.

They have a meet n greet in Plano you might want to check out.

Hello,

Welcome, my wife and I are about to get an LT. Maybe I will see you at the Meet & Greet on Thursday nights in Plano.

Bo, Glad to see you are getting the LT. I know you will enjoy it.
Any info you might be interest in knowing could be had at

http://www.bmwlt.com/

Give us a look see!

The BMW is very comfortable for the rider. I'm sure the SO's enjoy the comfort on one of these. ;-)

SHHH......rear drives have become a sore subject on the LT. However I have close to 100k clocked on the three I have owned with no problem.:clap:

Hi, Try to make it out to one of the meets in Plano on Thursday evenings. 1100S rider here.

:tab Hey Busted, welcome to the site! Did you go to the Cowboy Curves Reunion in Wyoming this year? I heard something like 9 LT's suffered drive failures on the way there (of the 800 or so that attended). MY GS self destructed the rear drive at 28K. Got it fixed under warranty and no problems since then. I would not hesitate to hop on it and take off across the country tomorrow if I had the chance ;-)

Scott, I have been attending the Curve Cowboy reunions for the past 4 years. Its been so much fun going to these events. No one likes talking much about rear drive failures............. Especially BMW............but what can you do...............Just ride it.

I know I have seen it somewhere here but where is the meet and greet in Plano?

Check the Upcoming Rides/Trips/Events forum, they usually have a weekly thread going about the meets.

Hey bustedknuckles,

While I have only 30K miles on my ’01 GS, I have no issues with the rear drive…’cause, I’m always fiddling with it, changing gear oil and performing spline lubes. My splines and U-joints are factory fresh…..and, I intend on keeping them that way. However, rethreading the rear U-joint into the draveshaft IS a pain that takes a lot of patience and a few tricks...

Motto?......If you take care of it, it will last.

Rear drive failures can be avoided with proper maintenance. I just completed a spline lube (removed the whole rear drive, driveshaft housing, driveshaft U-joints, etc.) service on my GS. The splines are factory fresh, no rust and U-joint trunnions are still in good shape.

This is the 3rd spline lube for my GS and everything is still snug and like-new.

bustedknuckles said:
Bo, Glad to see you are getting the LT. I know you will enjoy it.
Any info you might be interest in knowing could be had at

http://www.bmwlt.com/

Give us a look see!

That is where I found the LT that I bought. I just rode it back from Alabama, I rode it about 800 miles Sat and Sunday, it is a very nice ride and runs great. I was comfortable all the way back.;-)

bustedknuckles said:
Scott, I have been attending the Curve Cowboy reunions for the past 4 years. Its been so much fun going to these events. No one likes talking much about rear drive failures............. Especially BMW............but what can you do...............Just ride it.

I know I have seen it somewhere here but where is the meet and greet in Plano?

Check out Upcoming Rides, Trips and Events:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

The problem the K1200lt rear drives have been having is the "crown bearing" cage coming apart allowing the bearings to bunch up. Up until that point there is no indication of a problem. "Proper maintenance" has not been the cause. Most everyone changes rear drive and trans. lube with 75w140 syn. at 6K intervals.

Stephen,

Glad you finally made it over to this site as well. Welcome. You will find alot of of the LTers here as well.

Rear drive failures can be avoided with proper maintenance.

I would not say that over on the ADV Rider website... There are some seriously anal maintenance freaks over there and even some of them have had failures ;-) The same is true over at the BMWSportTouring site.

BeemerCowboy
Went through your part of town last Sunday on a ride to Stephenville. The weather was GREAT!

Back