• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Automobile cruise control on a motorcycle?

No experience here, but I'm sure others will chime in. I'll tell you this much - a throttle lock is a whole lot better than a cramp buster. I was fine with those until I ended up with carpel tunnel syndrome from holding my wrist slightly bent on a long trip.

Looking forward to hearing those who've used REAL cruise control chime in.

I've used the Rostra on my KLR's. Relatively easy hookup if the bike is fuel injected and has a speed sensor pickup. The Rostra has no vacuum can which is great. Love it.

150K on a bike with throttle lock. I just adjust the catch so it can be shifted without much pressure and it's fine for a 7,000 mile trip through the mountains. Never thought ot using a cruise control. Cool!

Cruz Control

i-c9QXgVp-M.jpg

Hardy Baker did it once. I have it on my wing but rarely us is, usually long enough to free up my right hand for a short time. I have a Vista Cruise throttle lock on the GS and use it in the same manner.

Yeah, but you'd also have the only Cuban bike, assembled in Canada, with a "Made in USA" sticker. How cool is that! :-D

Didn't your ST have cruise?

Good memory. Yes, I used the McCruise on the ST1300. It was very well designed and it took about 5-6 hours to install it with the assistance of a professional mechanic. The McCruise unit required going into the throttle bodies and extensively wiring the bike. You finally had to put on magnetic wheel stickies that monitored your speed. The unit for the ST1300 was $1,000. The company was located in Australia and at the time, the AUD was very strong.

If the bike uses ride-by-wire, do you still have to go into the throttle bodies to attach the throttle sensor?

Anyway...looking for a cheaper alternative. One company provides a remapped ECU that has a automatic cruise control feature when you use in sixth gear at 70 MPH. You hold it at that speed for ten seconds to activate it.

RB

I have the MCCruise on my ST, and it's awesome. I've heard many stories about the CCS on both versions of the ST (1100 & 1300), and a bunch of other bikes.

I also have the obligatory cramp buster, and a throttle lock.

There is no real substitute for a true cruise control on a longer journey down these highways. Speeding up going down hill, slowing down going up hill, will ensure you're an irritant to those around you. A cruise control will fix that.

The MCCruise can be installed on just about any bike. Yes, this one is set up for the ST13, but there are so many settings in the computer you can adjust, you can make it right for every cable operated bike. If your bike has electronic throttle control, then this wouldn't be the one for you - then again, neither would the CCS.

Yes, I installed the Rostra on my 2012 Vstrom 650. That 2012 Vstrom Adv was redesigned and it was tough figuring out the electrical without a diagram. ( which was available several months later) It transformed an almost perfect bike into a pe_____ , never mind.
Prior to installing the electronic cruise control, I didn't realize how often while riding at slightly over the speed limit, I would look down to check my speed. With the cruise set at 4 mph over the posted limit, I was able to keep my eyes on the road, not on the speedometer, so I feel the cruise made me a safer rider.
And Bob, Valentio Rossi hasn't met me but Lenny Kravitz is my neighbor.

Last edited:
icon_eek.gif

The Rostra looks like a tough install based on this video series.

RB

---

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG1-2TM5k60"]Kawasaki Concours 14 Rostra Electronic Cruise Control install Part 1[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uqO9FL1uRo"]Kawasaki Concours 14 Rostra Electronic Cruise Control install Part 2[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdoBGtGsfcU"]Kawasaki Concours 14 Rostra Electronic Cruise Control install Part 3[/ame]

Back