• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Compare Corbin & Russell on an FJR.

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
I've seen a lot of talk lately about the FJR and thought somebody looking at aftermarket seats might find this useful. I have pictures of two well known seats on the same bike.

Brief history. I bought my 06 FJR from Adan on this list. At that time it had this Corbin seat.

IMG_1166-1.jpg

IMG_1169-1.jpg

IMG_1170-1.jpg

I've found FOR ME that I'm not a big fan of Corbins. I have one on my Tiger and it is definitely better than stock but if money wasn't an object, I'd replace it. Corbin's are very firm, some might say hard. I would have thought with my padding in this area it wouldn't be an issue.

Its always a big gamble shelling out several hundred dollars for a seat that you hope you're going to like.

After buying the FJR I gambled and ordered a Russell Day Long seat. The wife and I are very happy now. Others might have loved the Corbin, I know they have many happy customers. Workmanship on both were top notch.

Russell.

IMG_1172-1.jpg

IMG_1174-1.jpg

IMG_1175-1.jpg

IMG_1177-1.jpg

With the Corbin you sit IN the bike. With the Russell you sit ON the bike. The Russell is plush with out being soft and on the FJR model give you litte wings for additional support. Better for longer miles and not so much for hanging off the bike (but it can be done). The passenger sits much higher with the Russell. My wife likes that she can see over me instead of looking at the back of my helmet.

Good Luck.

My only beef with Corbin is their insistence that their seats be lower than stock. Well, that and SOME of their seats just don't look right on SOME bikes.

F800GS-Corbin.jpg

Personally, I like my corbin on the FJR. I't looks as if your seat is softer than the Corbin. Is that true? I have found that I can go a much longer distance on a firmer seat because I have the ability to shift my seating position more easily. If I stay planted in one position for very long, pressure points seem to develop and they don't go away. Consequently, I slide around a bit in my seat and the corbin makes it easy to do that. I did an 850 mile day on the Corbin without issue. The stock seat was reasonably firm but too narrow.

edit -

That Russell looks like it would be better for my knees than the Corbin. I keep the stock seat on the high position on my FJR in spite of my challenging 29" inseam. Makes for tippy toes at stops, but lessens the bend on with it the onset of burn in my knees. I do spend much more time with my feet on the pegs than with one or both on the ground anyway.

Back