• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Coming here from ADVrider

leekellerking said:
Welcome. What happened to the peeled-potato avatar? It was cool!

Lee
Adventure Rider Wannabe

Its still on the ADVrider profile..but I do switch them out some. I'm glad you liked it too.. I stole it from google images....hehehe;-)

Squeaky said:
Well, it was a decent place and a good turnout so we're going to turn it into a 'regular' thing on Mondays. *no bike required*

And welcome aboard! :rider:

Thank you! Happy to be here! If you got to doubleshots this Monday, what time will that happen?

Welcome aboard...have you hooked up with the Houston BMW riders? They have a nice club and do many functions with the DFWBMW group. Normally the Houston group make a nice turn-out at the BMW Texas National Rally. lake Belton, in April, always a good time. Jill and I both ride BMWs, and like your husband have a late model oilhead (R1150R Rockster), plus a couple airheads, Jill rides a K1200R, with just a tad more power than our F650, but she is getting a used F650 for some long dual sport rides we are planning. My dual sport is a 83 R80ST, as in my avatar!

When we have time to ride, we spend more on motorcycle tires than on our electric bill and we have an all electric house! (we buy them in bulk and do our own mounting)

Hope to see you at a few functions.

Howard

I've not checked out the Houston BMW riders yet. I'm still planning on doing that though. Anyone who can do anything with their hands impresses me...I need instruction and video and skill before I attemted to do anything other than take the panels off to check for coolant levels. (quite proud I did that one alone) hehehe

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm happy to be here and I'm looking forward to making a few functions too!

BMWbabe said:
part of that time I was injured (happened in my first MSF rider's edge course) so I've actually only been riding for almost exactly a month.

Welcome. Always good to see new riders!!!

Just curious, what happened in the course to injure you?

This is very similar to what happened to my wife. Last Christmas I enrolled the entire family in MSF course; self, wife and three sons. Just before the test my wife locked the front wheel and high sided. She hyper extended her shoulder and hurt her pride significantly. But to her credit she did get back up and finish the test and went on to get her license along with the rest of us. So far she's elected to limit her riding to the back seat but that's fine by me because I enjoy the company.

Glad to hear you got back on and kept riding. Look forward to seeing you around.

I was going through a road test in Missouri years ago on a new BMW R80RT with PERFECT body work and the inspector asked me to get the bike up to speed and LOCK both wheels and I refused...with dual front brembo in front and new Metzeler 33/55 tires, a low speed lock was virtually impossible due to the excellent brake modulation and sticky, sticky tires...

I told him I had practiced for years on how to ride without locking brakes and no longer know how to stopped with locked brakes. He passed me anyhow.

Howard

Back