• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

N Ft Worth rider

Reaction score
First Name
Cathy
Hi y'all:

First post here. Been lurking some. I'm sure I've ridden with a few of ya.
I am currently riding an R6 (for sale on craigslist). I want to stir the riding pot a little and change up my riding style. I want a dual sport.

I really like the new Aprilla SXV 5.5. Any guidance on these machines is greatly appreciated.

Those Copper Canyon rides sound like a blast, and my R6 might not fare well on the gravel. Time for new adventures.

Cathy

Welcome, Cathy :welcome:
Come over to the dark side of REAL dual-sporting! A DR650 will take you to the really fun places. :flip:
Of course, I am biased - I love my DR.

Energizer Bunny ! :-) Hope all is well Cathy. Lots of nice folks around here. My next ride will also be an adventure bike, thinking Alaska in 09 if I haven't fallen apart by then.

YZF Cathy said:
First post here. Been lurking some.

:welcome:
Wow! You be a serious lurker!

Now that you have de-lurked, you need to join the Tarrant County bunch on Tuesday nights - check the Upcoming Events section (we haven't decided where it will be yet). Maybe that will get YZF Melanie (Vitto) recharged and she will come join us...

Welcome! always looking for more of the motorcycle riders of the finer gender!

I agree the SXV's are beautiful bikes, but I don't know that I'd use one for serious DS use. This due to their insanely frequent top end rebuilds. I've heard something in the 20-40hr range.

and yes, join us for the WDFW M&Gs! :wave:

Well I reckon since I started this thread I can hijack it without stepping on my own toes, so here goes....

Nathan you said that the Aprilla's need frequent top end adjustments. that doesn't sound like much fun to me. I like the idea of riding 10K without anything more than an oil change and a set of tires.

Any other choices of bikes? I had originally thought of the KLR. I rode one on a couple seperate weekends at Deals Gap and loved it. The only problem is that you can't go very fast on the straights. No problem at the Gap where the corners are many and often, but for a long road trip that would get a bit old for me.

Cathy

My three cents:
Depends on how you want to split your 'dual':

75% off road/25% on road: KLR and BMW GS top choices, although I've heard the Sudzuki DRZ650 can give the KLR a run for their money (Theresa and Don can input here)

75% on road/25% off road: more choices. V-stromDL650, BMW GS, etc. There's many of them. Some of them all you need to do is put on the right tires and your options expand.

From what I've read (road tests and comparisons) and heard via empirical testimony if you want top notch off-road, on-road and speed on straights and handling twisties, the winner is BMW's Adventure GS.

Course, you have to be over 6 feet tall and mortgage your house..... ;-)

Welcome aboard, Cathy. Nice to see you over here.

Back