• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Discovery's American Chopper

Reaction score
Anybody else watch this? I saw it for the first time last night. A family shop in NJ building custom choppers. I'm not really into this type of bike, but probably for the same reason I like Monster Garage & Monster House, I find this show pretty cool. Especially with its motorcycle slant.

I enjoy this show much more than Jesse James' macho-fest (although JJ is quite the metal-pounder). I like Pauly Jr. (IIRC); he seems like a pretty cool guy. The dad's a hoot, a real macho loudmouth, but he's earned it, I guess, after all those years making wrought-iron fences or whatnot.

Did you see the episode where the 15 y.o. apprentice got to help design and build a bike for bike week, then went down to Daytona and was in a cover shoot? Talk about a life experience...!

They make some really pretty bikes. I just wish they would leave them in the garage where they belong and not ride them on public roads. They are obviously illegal in many respects.

Wouldn't it be cool to earn a good living working on or building motorcycles?

That 9/11 Fireman's bike was very cool. I was kinda disappointed in the firemen's response when they delivered the bike. They were kinda like "Yeah, that's real purty".

I could tell the firemen had very little appreciation of the incredible amounts of talent, money, and time invested in that bike.

My wife and I don't miss an episode (she doesn't even like bikes). When I heard the old man say "just shut up and build the bike" he became my hero. I've been supervising people for over 20 years and you have no idea how many times I've wanted to say something like that!! :mrgreen:

buck000 said:
Did you see the episode where the 15 y.o. apprentice got to help design and build a bike for bike week, then went down to Daytona and was in a cover shoot? Talk about a life experience...!

I think I saw ther first part of this one last night. Pretty cool that they are letting this kid do a lot of the work. I think I would have killed for a chance to do that when I was his age. (wait, my wife seems to think that I might still be that age, or younger)

I try not to miss any new shows. Talk about a dysfunctional family.

And am I the only one, but does Dad look like he developed that muscle in prison or what??!!

As far as their motorcycles go, they're just not my thing. I don't see how anything they build could be comfortable, reliable or safe. Try dodging cars with those huge handlebars!

Re: Dad's muscles -- I saw a bit of the very first (I think) episode recently, and it talked about how he built a good business making iron fences. That probably had something to do with it. He apparently did get into drugs/alcohol for a time as a younger man, though, so the odds are fair-middling that he, erm, was put up for a night or two courtesy of the local govt. (can't remember if this was brought up or not) ;) Cool to see he's on the right track now, or so it seems.

Howdy,

:tab I admit that these bikes are probably handling nightmares and mostly illegal. Nonetheless, they are interesting works of art. And I do mean art! My favorite bikes in order are the Spider Bike, the Jet bike and the Firemans' bike. These bikes evoke feelings and urges I used to get as a kid when I saw really big, fast and powerful looking cars. It really brings out the testosterone in me ;-) I also enjoy seeing the creativity of Paul Jr. No he does not fabircate every single part and do all his own welding, blah blah blah... but he sees the whole picture and brings it all together to make an incredible whole. And was that carb for the firetruck bike just the shiznit or what!!??

I think much of the interpersonal stuff between pops and jr are for the camera. I think the directors are just taking elements of their personalities and stretching them for dramatic affect. If not, the dad is a real sad case. So what if he built up a business and made lots of money! That does not excuse being an Ahole, or treating people the way he does. You can easily be a no B.S. kind of boss without resorting to the childish temper tantrums he throws so often. But it does make for entertaining TV hehe.

Back