• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC death sparks riots in MI

Reaction score
Maybe sport bike riders should be exempt from police pursuit. On TV it usually results in a crash. I don't know how they usually turn out in real life.

When I was a kid riding my dirt bike on the streets, I was often pursued but never caught because I could hit the woods.

--------------------------------------------------

Motorcycle death after police chase stokes B.H. Riots

By CHRISTINE COX
Tribune Staff Writer

BENTON HARBOR -- For the second night in a row Tuesday, anger, violence and flames ruled the streets of Benton Harbor fanned by the early Monday death of a 28-year-old motorcyclist following a police chase.

Firefighters were not being allowed through to at least three residential fires in the city in the 600 and 700 blocks of Pavone Street, police and eyewitnesses said.

"It looks like a war zone. It's terrible," said Dorothy King, who lives in the 700 block of Pavone Street, early today. "I'm scared to go to bed."

It appeared that almost nobody was going to bed Tuesday night and early today with fires being started, people were being dragged out of motor vehicles and beaten, authorities said. At least one ambulance windshield was smashed, and firetrucks were being attacked in ambush fashion and shot at, authorities said.

Authorities said at least 20 people were injured. There were seven to eight arrests, said Lt. William Tucker of the Berrien County Sheriff's Department.

Police from at least six departments donned riot gear and attempting to stop all traffic and onlookers headed for Empire and Pavone, the same spot Terrance "T-Shirt" Devon Shurn died early Monday morning after a police chase.

On Monday night, a crowd of 200 to 300 people angry at the death of Shurn set a vacant house on fire and threw bricks and bottles at police cars, severely damaging four of them.

People were upset, with their outrage triggered by the fact that a Benton Township police officer had given chase in the city.

Many people in the neighborhood pointed out that it was Benton Township police that were involved in a fatal crash claiming the life of 11-year-old Trenton Patterson. Trenton was struck on a sidewalk and killed in September 2000 during a pursuit.

"They said, 'We gonna kill the cops, it ain't over," Joseph Tyson had said on Tuesday. "It's gonna be a whole lot of drunk nights."

Those drunk nights had started on Monday when the crowd gathered initially for a vigil and angered at the police chase, attempted to burn the crash site down. When authorities stopped them, they turned to a vacant residence across the street at 876 Pavone St., which neighbors called a former drug house.

By midday Tuesday, the site had blue and gold balloons, red and white ribbons and blue flowers on it. Orange police paint was sprayed on the sidewalk and tire fibers marking the spot on the curb where Shurn's Honda 900 high-performance motorcycle had smacked into the building.After Monday's wild night, several people in the neighborhood said protesters would not rest until the building was burned to the ground.

On Tuesday night, protesters had put the former Empire Game Room ablaze, firefighters unable to get to the scene due to a throng.

"They killed him," a woman yelled while driving by the crash site at the corner of Empire Avenue and Pavone Street midday Tuesday. "The police need to be put to ------- rest."

Police attempted Tuesday to quell word that Benton Township police Patrolman Wesley Koza's car had bumped Shurn.

"I can assure you, ... that did not occur," said state police 1st Lt. Joseph Zangaro.

Shurn died instantly at the scene.

Berrien County sheriff's Deputy Mark Lundin spotted Shurn traveling with another motorcyclist at more than 100 miles per hour early Monday on Old U.S. 31 in Royalton Township's Scottdale area traveling north toward Benton Harbor. Lundin initially began pursuing the motorcycle, but stopped the chase near the intersection of Michigan 139 and Interstate 94.

Koza spotted the motorcycle near the intersection of Starlite Drive and Union Street. He pursued Shurn from three to four blocks behind, police said. Preliminary information indicated Shurn was traveling 60 to 70 mph in residential areas.

Autopsy reports indicate Shurn died upon impact from a torn aorta, Zangaro said Tuesday. Toxicology reports were not available.

Shurn was found with a small amount of marijuana on his person, Zangaro said. Koza was placed on sick leave after the incident, Benton Township police Chief Jimmie Coburn said Tuesday night.

In 1993, Shurn pleaded guilty to attempting to deliver or manufacture cocaine less than 50 grams, Berrien County court records indicate. He served 28 days in jail and was put on probation for two years, which he violated twice.

On Feb. 27, he was found in possession of a Vicodin pill for which he had no prescription. He pleaded guilty the next month to use of an unprescribed narcotic and was sentenced to pay $360 or serve 30 days in jail. His license was also suspended.

/2003/06/18/local.20030618-sbt-MICH-A1-_It_s_a_war.sto

[edited for brevity]

Not sure if your comment was tongue-in-cheek, John. I've been following this on the ST.N website, and it looks like a squid basically killed himself, but served as a catalyst for a frustrated community to go on a rampage.

'Course, the guy may have continued to speed away because he feared the reputation of the Benton Harbor police, and what would happen if he'd stopped; I dunno...

John Bennett said:
Maybe sport bike riders should be exempt from police pursuit. On TV it usually results in a crash. I don't know how they usually turn out in real life.

When I was a kid riding my dirt bike on the streets, I was often pursued but never caught because I could hit the woods.

Every m/c pursuit I've had, has ended with the rider either crashing or stopping and running on foot. Most ended when the rider hit gravel taking a corner too fast.

You can't place a policy, a rule or whatever on the police and say you can never pursue a m/c. Several years ago the agencies in my area tightened pursuit rules in general and they got out of hand. We actually had a LOT of riders that lived in one certain trailer park outside College Station that tried to get police to chase them. They were doing wheelies at high speed through heavy traffic, splitting lanes at unbelievable high speeds (record was 127mph :eek: on SH47) and anything else to get us to chase them. They thought it was FUN and they knew we had limits.

After a ridiculous number of these incidents, along with the collisions and injuries they bring, one of these idiots was killed after he ran from a deputy and crammed his bike under a turning semi. Policies started changing about this time. Eventually we turned it around (credit me with one of the captures. KZ1000-P vs 750 Katana. Non-riding little punk :mrgreen: )and pursuits are a rare thing.

I hope the time never comes when we don't chase. What needs to happen though is to enforce the laws we have now and quit pleading these felony evading cases to misdemeanors with time served and a puny fine :evil:

As for the article it sounds like Darwin was right :lol:

credit me with one of the captures. KZ1000-P vs 750 Katana. Non-riding little punk :mrgreen:

You should put a little bike silhouette on the side of your fairing for every one you catch - kind of like how fighter pilots used to do. :wink:

I apologize. I should have made it more clear that my "non pursuit" comments were tounge-in-cheek.

Some ******* druggie wads up his 900RR while running from the police....yeah, kill the cops, burn down everything, and attack the firetrucks.

Brilliant!

Back