• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bore/Hone

Reaction score
Thinking about doing a 685 kit on an 07 KLR650. Looking for a good shop to do the machining, im out of San Antonio, but would drive to Houston, Austin, even Dallas if necessary. I don't exactly trust the postal service with my cylinder. Also I do not believe the KLR has a Nikasil coating, can anyone confirm?

Thanks for any help,
Kyle

Thinking about doing a 685 kit on an 07 KLR650. Looking for a good shop to do the machining, im out of San Antonio, but would drive to Houston, Austin, even Dallas if necessary. I don't exactly trust the postal service with my cylinder. Also I do not believe the KLR has a Nikasil coating, can anyone confirm?

Thanks for any help,
Kyle

No not plated
I send many cylinders a year to Millennium Technologies https://www.millennium-tech.net
they do all my Nikasil work and have had them do a hand full of plain steel bores when the owner did not want to upgrade to NSC.
In general an iron liner will wear faster than a plated cylinder, so consider that..Add in increased side load and piston speed of a stroked motor or large bore and wear can be 10 times faster in a plain iron cylinder then a NSC coated one.
But folks have been running iron only in old school motors like the KLR for years with good luck so there is that as well.
As all you need is a sleeve installed and bored/hones to match the piston you intend to use a local place that deals in power sorts should be able to handle it....Like you, I know of no such local place I trust..so in a box they all go for me.:giveup:

Last edited:
No not plated
I send many cylinders a year to Millennium Technologies https://www.millennium-tech.net
they do all my Nikasil work and have had them do a hand full of plain steel bores.

As all you need is a sleeve installed and bored/hones to match the piston you intend to use a local place that deals in power sorts should be able to handle it....Like you, I know of no such local place I trust..so in a box they all go for me.:giveup:

Awesome, that's a solid response I was hoping for, just not trying to put all the work in to end up with a warped cylinder, thank you for the help.

I edited and added to me response above :giveup:

Honestly im thinking about doing this to make the KLR last for a long time. I have a street bike for the highway rides and such, so this KLR for me is my long term bike for dualsport and even just windy roads. I think if im going to do it ill do it right, how much is the NSC type of job normally run.

Also do you send your rings to them to get end gapped as well or just handle it yourself.

Dutch - Do have much vibration (more than you would expect) with your KLR? I have excessive teeth-chattering-hand-numbing vibration on my new-to-me 2011 KLR650 and will soon begin trying to figure out why. After all the obvious things (doohickey, valves, dampening handlebar risers, etc), I have been told that using a big bore kit over stock will lower the vibration.

Dutch - Do have much vibration (more than you would expect) with your KLR? I have excessive teeth-chattering-hand-numbing vibration on my new-to-me 2011 KLR650 and will soon begin trying to figure out why. After all the obvious things (doohickey, valves, dampening handlebar risers, etc), I have been told that using a big bore kit over stock will lower the vibration.

I don't think it vibrates too bad, It doesn't bother me at all, it does shake the mirrors loose sometimes, but thats pretty average for every bike i've ever had.

Funny you mention the mirrors. The vibration is so bad that everything in the mirrors are shaking so bad they are useless.

If you do decide on the big bore kit, let us know how it goes.

Funny you mention the mirrors. The vibration is so bad that everything in the mirrors are shaking so bad they are useless.

If you do decide on the big bore kit, let us know how it goes.

Did you go on the DBSA ride a few weeks back, I remember a guy talking about the mirrors being useless, if that was you I’m in the silver first gen KLR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo. Yep, that was me. Unfortunately, I have not had time to tinker with the bike since the ride due to family obligations.

Bingo. Yep, that was me. Unfortunately, I have not had time to tinker with the bike since the ride due to family obligations.

Yea i understand that, I have not really had time to do much to mine, Im just stashing up cash to do the 685 kit. I'll update you as I go, let me know what you find out about the vibration.

Honestly im thinking about doing this to make the KLR last for a long time. I have a street bike for the highway rides and such, so this KLR for me is my long term bike for dualsport and even just windy roads. I think if im going to do it ill do it right, how much is the NSC type of job normally run.

Also do you send your rings to them to get end gapped as well or just handle it yourself.

At https://www.millennium-tech.net/serviceInfo.php?id=9 its $269.95 for Overbore and Plate Single Cylinder.

Im sure you can send rings and pay MT to fit them, I have not, I do that in house.
But///honestly I've never asked them either :oops: ..heck perhaps they will do it as part of the bore and hone to fit the piston you supply. I guess I need to ask :giveup:

At https://www.millennium-tech.net/serviceInfo.php?id=9 its $269.95 for Overbore and Plate Single Cylinder.

Im sure you can send rings and pay MT to fit them, I have not, I do that in house.
But///honestly I've never asked them either :oops: ..heck perhaps they will do it as part of the bore and hone to fit the piston you supply. I guess I need to ask :giveup:

Thanks, thats not a bad price if you say they get the job done right and its NCS, and the worst they can say is no on the rings. Thank you

Upon further investigation Eaglemike.com who sells the 685 kit also has an option to send the cylinder back to him, either he will bore your same cylinder or he will send you a pre-bored one with the kit and refund you a core charge once your cylinder gets back to him.

Upon further investigation Eaglemike.com who sells the 685 kit also has an option to send the cylinder back to him, either he will bore your same cylinder or he will send you a pre-bored one with the kit and refund you a core charge once your cylinder gets back to him.

Yes, he will,, but it wont be plated and while I like the guy and have bought his products. The cylinders are not being machined on the same state of the art equipment Mt will use. Also not sure what his turn around time is theres days as he battles his illness. I absolutely wish him well, and do trust his products. But I think there are better choices for the cylinder work.

Yes, he will,, but it wont be plated and while I like the guy and have bought his products. The cylinders are not being machined on the same state of the art equipment Mt will use. Also not sure what his turn around time is theres days as he battles his illness. I absolutely wish him well, and do trust his products. But I think there are better choices for the cylinder work.

Yea that's true, I guess if I want this to be a long term solution I better just make sure it gets done right with the coating and everything.

Yea that's true, I guess if I want this to be a long term solution I better just make sure it gets done right with the coating and everything.

I would never say NCS is required for this application, if I did Id be wrong.. there are thousands of big bore KLX's running out there just fine with a plain steel bore.
So consider what NCS gets you, the cost and if the benefit outweighs the cost.
https://www.millennium-tech.net/vidplayer.php?id=32

I would never say NCS is required for this application, if I did Id be wrong.. there are thousands of big bore KLX's running out there just fine with a plain steel bore.
So consider what NCS gets you, the cost and if the benefit outweighs the cost.
https://www.millennium-tech.net/vidplayer.php?id=32

Yea, I will have to do some research, thank you for the link ill have to check out the video later when im not at work. :rolleyes:

So I had some car troubles which financially delayed the KLR job, but finally got back on track and got it torn down today. My new concern is the health of my valves, I have to adjust the clearance, it wasn’t even close but the valves seemed burnt, maybe I’m just paranoyed, but I’ve never seen them like this, any opinions?

Attachments

• 110B0D44-4602-41BD-BA79-17246690CF75.jpeg
    110B0D44-4602-41BD-BA79-17246690CF75.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 299
  • 927950FB-130D-4D87-872E-EC3E3C18AA72.jpeg
    927950FB-130D-4D87-872E-EC3E3C18AA72.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 237
  • B0964044-B8C7-41EB-9990-ACE754CEA119.jpeg
    B0964044-B8C7-41EB-9990-ACE754CEA119.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 248
  • E7CA438D-3FC6-46F0-8E31-34BA28C4A2FB.jpeg
    E7CA438D-3FC6-46F0-8E31-34BA28C4A2FB.jpeg