• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend and Safety

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
Lane
A close friend found a couple of posts on the internet, expressing safety concerns along the border, in the Big Bend area.

As most of you know, me and my bunch are running this event off in the next couple of weeks.

GraceADV Camp Meeting - Click HERE

I have been down to Big Bend twice in the last four years and I have always seen a ton of law enforcement....Border Patrol, State Park Officers and County Deputy's and DPS. I have never felt concerned for my safety.

Anyone have any intel....the very latest? I'm not interested in stories from 4 years ago.......

Ride.

You could die stepping out of bed tomorrow, so you might as well have good plans.

Don't be surprised that if you are running radios that you hear Spanish chatter, just call a channel change or stay silent if you are uncomfortable, you will be out of range soon.

I'd be more worried about a mass of newbs in the desert than I would be about security.

Idiots die the desert. It's been proven, or at least it sounds good.

I live here. The troubles being plastered in the press are down in the valley closer to the coast. If anyone has issue with proximity to the Guard troops and their mission remember that they are closer to San Antonio and Austin than they are to Big Bend. There are dangers in this desert, but cactus and rattlesnake encounters are more likely to be had than immigrant or smuggler encounters.

This little guy was found to be in the Ghost Town not far from the Starlight last night...

Mojave_zpsdd0574c7.jpg

He was relocated to a different part of the desert to continue his rodent eating profession. He is a Mojave Rattlesnake. Wear your boots, and watch your step as snake season is winding down to its end. Picture courtesy of my friend Pat O'Bryan.

The rider we came upon on Old Ore last year with a broken collarbone, ribs, punctured lung, etc. had a lot more to worry about than any renegade cartel members, bandits, etc. He was riding faster than he could see ahead and hit a wash out full speed.

Point being that most safety issues there are self-inflicted and then amplified due to the remoteness of the area. Price out a helo ride from Big Bend to Odessa beforehand, and that will temper your inner desert racer.

Whether it is watching where you are stepping to avoid a Mojave rattlesnake or being somewhat sensible when you are out exploring, a little bit (which is all I have anyways) of common sense is about all you need to be safe in Big Bend. Works for me.

One more vote for all is well. There is absolutely no need to worry about cartel activity in BBNP. There is plenty of LEO presence there and nobody wants to spoil that fun. All is fine for 90 miles either direction east or west. I've heard of some activity around Presidio but nothing like what is going on around the coastal areas; Brownsville, Laredo or around El Paso south of the border. Big Bend.....completely safe from a criminal perspective. Like others have said the closest minor emergency center for broken bones and such is in Alpine about an hour and half in you are relatively close to a paved road.

The last two years there have been some pretty bad crashes at the Around the Bend ride. Riders have to be ready to get out on their own. Had a buddy get heat stroke one year while hiking the Outer Mountain Loop between Dodson Ranch and Juniper Canyon. It's a real "Oh boy am I in trouble" moment when you consider the distances.

One thing to consider it Air Evac. I believe that they now have insurance that covers other carriers besides themselves.

m

I agree, Bill. Bruce is right. Those who suffer do so due to a lack of mental, physical, or mechanical preparation. I've ridden the park 3 times. Alone. No problems. People used to being dependent on others probably should avoid Big Bend. On the other hand, I do have a satellite phone with solar charger and helivac insurance just in case. Those considering traveling through remote places should consider this: stupid hurts a lot worse when there are no emergency responders sitting around waiting to scrape up your latest "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Even when riding in a group you need to be prepared with adequate supplies to hold you over as an extraction can take a very long time. Enough water for an overnight stay, energy bars and some method of warmth or shade are good places to start.

Ask me how I know this.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0974504874?pc_redir=1413975954&robot_redir=1"]Death in Big Bend:Amazon:Books[/ame]

"Death in Big Bend ". Book is sad stories of hikers and travelers that made fatal mistakes at BBNP not realizing the desert can have real teeth. My biggest gripe about safety at BBNP is that I wish law enforcement would do a better job at traffic law enforcement.

My biggest gripe about safety at BBNP is that I wish law enforcement would do a better job at traffic law enforcement.

I almost got taken out last year on my DR at panther junction by some kid driving mommy around. He was coming south on 385 as I was going through the junction coming from RGV. He didn't stop as he turned right then proceeded to pinch me off by drifting across the center line as I was trying to avoid him. I could tell he was more interested in looking around than he was in actually driving the car.

You have to be careful coming around corners as well as over blind spots as you never know what is coming and if the driver is looking at the road or scenery. And, it's not just the park, 170 has a lot of the these blind spots and plenty scenery for distraction.

Just what I figured, but prudent to ask.

I was born in Alpine and spent a lot of my life in the area and wouldn't expect any silly-ness.

Thanks for you input and responses.

We will be at Terlingua and all around Big Bend....having a ball!!!

My kids and I slept in the back of an open truck off Castolon Rd. on some sweet coastal hay just last weekend......quit counting shooting stars at about two dozen...slept like babies we did......just go. :sun:

I like the Big Bend Ranch tee that advises to "bring two spares."

BTW Mark, the coldest night I have ever spent camping was in the Basin sleeping in the bed of a pickup. Of course I suspect that you and the kids were smart enough to use a pad. With me it was just steel and some flattened goose down between my backside and the January air. :eek2:

One more vote for all is well. There is absolutely no need to worry about cartel activity in BBNP...

With the one exception being the feared TW cartel which frequents the area. That rag tag group of fat tired bikers has been known to leave a wicked roost on the unsuspecting.

_

e: Big Bend and Safety

With the one exception being the feared TW cartel which frequents the area. That rag tag group of fat tired bikers has been known to leave a wicked roost on the unsuspecting.

_

You must be talking about us TW200 riders. But I'm not so sure how much of a roost I could give anybody.

Re: e: Big Bend and Safety

You must be talking about us TW200 riders. But I'm not so sure how much of a roost I could give anybody.

Is this a dis to us DR-200 riders? Eh? Eh?

Bring on the battle of the 22HP machines I say.

:giveup:

Re: e: Big Bend and Safety

Is this a dis to us DR-200 riders? Eh? Eh?

Bring on the battle of the 22HP machines I say.

:giveup:

22 HP? On a TW? Only KenH might have that much. But it sure would be nice.

We had a rattlesnake episode a few weeks ago when we were out there. A 77 year old lady grabbed her .38 with rat shot and plugged it. Ed, that was Donna wood.

Back