• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lane splitting bill introduced (House Bill 813)

Well if it helps, to get a license in Germany it costs a lot and you have to do perfect on the driving test. To lose it, give someone the bird and see what happens. Maybe we should move to that model and you will fix the need to lane split in the first place

I just got a feeling that is what it would take.

Just did some lane splitting in stopped traffic on the way home. No angry honks, and many cars/trucks even moved over to make some room for me. Maybe Texas IS ready for a lane splitting bill!

Well if it helps, to get a license in Germany it costs a lot and you have to do perfect on the driving test. To lose it, give someone the bird and see what happens. Maybe we should move to that model and you will fix the need to lane split in the first place. In 2011, the failure rate of the test was 28%. Cost is almost 2 grand.

Raise the price, training requirements, etc., and all you'll get is more people driving without licenses. Isn't that already a de facto unenforced code?

What? We can't hear you. Apparently you have become invisible to us for your recklessness! LMFAO

now that you mention it, but you forgot no insurrance also.

:lol2: No, I didn't, but the post I was responding to didn't include insurance so I shelved the topic. You are correct that no insurance is also a problem.

Just did some lane splitting in stopped traffic on the way home. No angry honks, and many cars/trucks even moved over to make some room for me. Maybe Texas IS ready for a lane splitting bill!

You sure? I think about 4.279 people died as a result of your lane splitting, and the sky fell also. </sarcasm>

You sure? I think about 4.279 people died as a result of your lane splitting, and the sky fell also. </sarcasm>
And one of my kids got the flu. Direct result of Cheez lane splitting.

Last time i am going to post and reopen a can of worms...

:rofl: This is the internet. At least 17 people sitting in front of their computers hitting F5 with their toes because of their death grip on a can of worms in one hand and an opener in the other at any given time.

Poor kid. Hope they feel better soon!

Cheez and I did a bit of lane splitting on 35 today. :clap:

I hope no more of YoDoc's kiddos get sick as a result. We really shouldn't have done that. I mean...think of the children!

I hope no more of YoDoc's kiddos get sick as a result. We really shouldn't have done that. I mean...think of the children!

Don't worry about the kids. Just toss them on the cattle ca..., er, buses, and send them to the concentration ca..., er, public school for brainwashing and indoc..., er, education and redistribution of infectious pathogens. After all, life isn't fair until all the little urchins are equally sickly.

You know, his fever seems to be getting better. I'm starting to think it isn't related to the lane splitting.

Just curious. Has the frequency of lane splitting increased since the discussion of it?

Looks like it might be a moot point. It seems stuck in committee and after two months there, it looks like it isn't likely to move.

Looks like it might be a moot point. It seems stuck in committee and after two months there, it looks like it isn't likely to move.

argh.gif

RB

Ironic...I'm going to be writing a lane splitting article for a well-trafficked moto blog in the near future.

They first asked if I would write about helmet laws. I counter-proposed lane-splitting, and that was accepted.

I have in the past but not this go around.......yet

So... how many of the people on this thread have contacted all the members of the House & Senate committees about the bill?

Only once have I written to the Congress-critters.

Once.

The response was a disappointment.

A simple query regarding what, exactly, was meant in the Transportation Code chapter on Licensing. Where the definition of the term "License" for that chapter includes:

"the privilege of a person to operate a motor vehicle regardless of whether the person holds a driver's license"​

Seemed like a simple enough question. Their peers put it in the code. There had to be someone at the capitol who could find some background on just why that phrase must be included in the definition. (I have my suspicions as to why, and wanted to prove them)

But no. The response was underwhelming, essentially putting it off on the Executive branch of state government. The same branch who after my writing them had responded that I ask the congress-critters (senate and rep) after likewise being unable to provide any clarity.

Some have developed the idea that I'm stubborn person, perhaps for good reason. Therefore, I decided to take it to the Judicial branch. That is the end of the line after hitting dead ends in the other branches.

After speaking with a couple of judges I found that the only way to get an answer from this branch is to bring a case to court.

After cancelling and surrendering a license, then, patiently waiting quite a long time to receive a citation for not having one (I was pulled over for stopping too quickly for a stop sign, if you can believe that), then appealing from J.P. court I secured a place on the county docket. (this is probably the most effective place for the question of riders safely Lane Splitting to be decided as well)

Turns out the court has no jurisdiction on someone operating a vehicle without a license. Case dismissed. So, the third branch were unable to provide a definitive answer to my question as well.

Go figure.

Never got an answer, despite going to great lengths over years of trying all branches available. (did I mention my stubborn streak?) Eventually got another license once the exercise in futility was over.

Through this experience I somewhat relate to the trouble folks likely are experiencing trying for passage of a bill to allow something that isn't specifically prohibited by law.

Maybe a review of Alice in Wonderland is in order? That was written about the absurdity of legal process, was it not?

Personally, I don't put much stock in the personnel occupying the offices of the congress-critters providing tenable results for anyone who isn't paying extra for the service. :lol2:

@ MotoTex

Excellent story and I can't say I'm even a bit surprised that you could not get an answer. Interesting that County Court disavowed jurisdiction over unlicensed drivers. :trust:

Ironic...I'm going to be writing a lane splitting article for a well-trafficked moto blog in the near future.

They first asked if I would write about helmet laws. I counter-proposed lane-splitting, and that was accepted.

Be sure and post a link to it here. :clap:

Back