• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

$1800 for just 6 months insurance. ***?

Reaction score
So I was looking at a new 2014 Ninja 1000. Called my insurance lady and at almost 30 yrs old with clean record and progressive wants $1800 full coverage for 6 months. No wonder these kinds of bikes dont sell in the US.

Thats crazy! I know my current insurer Markel was less than half the price Progressive wanted for my DL650. I am assuming it is a Ninja 1000 and not a ZX10R Ninja right? Just for curiousity call them back and ask about a Versys 1000 instead. They probably have the Ninja rated as a Supersport. Different Ins co's have the same bikes rated in different categories for unknown reasons.

What can I say but shop around.

I ran into this when I got my Tenere a couple years back. I had to really shop around to find what I felt was reasonable. It wasn't nearly that bad, but like you, I had a clean record and had already been with progressive for some time. Ended up with Allstate on that bike. Now back with progressive on the current bike because Allstate wanted more this time around.

Last edited:
Look in the venders forum for Allstate. Progressive was about the same for our four bikes. He saved us a bundle with better coverage.

sometimes they mis-classify the bike, especially if they see the word, "ninja". There is a difference between a super sport, sport, sport touring, etc.
On the other hand.... it IS a Ninja 1000. :mrgreen: I think State Farm uses cc displacement instead of classification, but I have been wrong more than once in my life.

Last edited:
I just ran it under my name and without uninsured medical and PIP $2826 year
with all the bells $3760 year

Here is my Geico quote compared to my current GS policy.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-18%20at%201.13.09%20PM_zpsu5sinjvf.jpg

Kawasaki has it under sport. Who know what insurers have it as.

For my 01 vfr liability and the 14 Ninja 1000 full coverage on geico and dairy is $2100 a yr.

So I was looking at a new 2014 Ninja 1000. Called my insurance lady and at almost 30 yrs old with clean record and progressive wants $1800 full coverage for 6 months. No wonder these kinds of bikes dont sell in the US.

I would forget about the comprehensive and buy just liability ($75). And then put $1725 into a crash fund, every year. Who knows, you may never need it. In a few years, the fund would be worth considerable for pay for any repair and it's your money.

Last edited:
I would forget about the comprehensive and buy just liability ($75). And then put $1725 into a crash fund, every year. Who knows, you may never need it. In a few years, the fund would be worth considerable for pay for any repair and it's your money.

That is all good and well if you can pay cash but if he is going to finance that is another story. Full coverage is normally a requirement.

That is all good and well if you can pay cash but if he is going to finance that is another story. Full coverage is normally a requirement.

not at Honda! when I bought the LRP financed through Honda, fill out the paper work and they never once asked for insurance, handed me the keys and sent me on my way. same for a co-worker who bought a shadow 750 phantom.

car dealer, they wont hand you key till you hand them the card.

I just went through this last week on several bikes I've been considering purchasing d
49 years old zero points in the last 16 years driving record and nothing but a couple of minor infractions prior to that which likely can't even be viewed or researched
No at fault claims in more than 22 years house car truck or motorcycle
Basic and advanced motorcycle safety instructor
Credit score in the 98th percentile with the three major credit bureaus
Own one home out right and the current one we live in well over 75% paid off
Married for over 24 years only my wife and I in the house so no other drivers their credit score good driving record her insurance claim history just like mine
Bikes I had quoted on
GSXR750
Triumph speed triple R
The numbers were in the $1500-1700 for six months that's nuts

Who pays that much?

Last edited:
I have dairyland and pay $600 a year for full coverage on mine. Find a new carrier.

I just shopped for my DL650 since Allstate went up 75% after I dropped my auto insurance with them. FWIW, Best price by far from eight companies was Markel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Farmers wanted a stupid high amount for my vstrom. They had it classed as a sport bike. Go figure. With progressive now.

I ride old slow bikes and have insurance through Geico. I pay $117 a year for the 1150gsa, $112 a year on the 950 Super Enduro Tard Machine, and $75 a year on the old dr350. Liability only on all three.

I think it's hilarious that my "hooligan" bike has lower insurance than my "old man" bike.

I've been meaning to get a quote from Dairyland but always forget until one of these threads pop up.

Last edited:
I only pay $77 a yr liability for my vfr with progressive. Liability on a new bike is too big of a risk.

I hate insurance companies. Its complete bs that people that are close to being tye same person are charged differently.

Last edited:
Rangerscott, that's good to hear! I've been thinking about replacing one of my bikes with a VFR. Is yours a third gen?

Got a quote from progressive for my 01 vfr and new 2014 vfr deluxe for $713 a year.

I looked and sat on the '14 vfr and it just didnt scream buy me. Its really cool looking but I dont want two if pretty much the same bike.

The newer ninja 1000's have a more comfortable seating position, abs, traction control, new hardbag setup, power modes, etc for about the same price and more POWA!!!!!!

Back