• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

Sounds good, we can meet in stockdale or Floresville. Whichever is easier for you

Sounds good, we can meet in stockdale or Floresville. Whichever is easier for you
If you looked towards it you couldn't have missed it. I'll have to meet up with you sometime.
01b440cf6bca4d8ae54db54b253522eb.jpg
What the heck. Yall conspiring behind my back?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Come ride with us aspr. You can ride my klr. Maybe jmz will come too?

After the wettest September in Texas history, multiple Central Texas reservoirs are completely full. The result of all the rain has been epic flooding in region. Known as Flash Flood Alley, Central Texas and the Hill Country are some of the nation’s most flood-prone areas, according to the LCRA. After water leaves the Mansfield Dam, it flows through Austin, Bastrop, LaGrange and down to Bay City before entering the Gulf of Mexico.

So I decided to check out a few roads today and see how things have fared after last weeks heavy rains. There was quite a bit of sand, rocks and other debris on many roads, so be careful, especially on corners.

Frio Road near Leakey

i-FdN4385-L.jpg

Low water crossing coming into Hunt on Highway 1340

i-jpXdz6x-L.jpg

The Frio River

i-63vgJbC-L.jpg

After the wettest September in Texas history, multiple Central Texas reservoirs are completely full. The result of all the rain has been epic flooding in region. Known as Flash Flood Alley, Central Texas and the Hill Country are some of the nation’s most flood-prone areas, according to the LCRA. After water leaves the Mansfield Dam, it flows through Austin, Bastrop, LaGrange and down to Bay City before entering the Gulf of Mexico.

So I decided to check out a few roads today and see how things have fared after last weeks heavy rains. There was quite a bit of sand, rocks and other debris on many roads, so be careful, especially on corners.

Frio Road near Leakey

i-FdN4385-L.jpg

Low water crossing coming into Hunt on Highway 1340

i-jpXdz6x-L.jpg

The Frio River

i-63vgJbC-L.jpg
Man, that's alot of water for the frio.

You should see how deep and thick the mud is on the dirt county roads. I expect there will be some decent sizes ruts for a few weeks.

RB

All the roads down here are nice and muddy, and rutting up really good already. Especially karnes county. Oilfield doesnt stop, so the roads are getting hammered.

b66497cecf68a42bf37dd6600fe159aa.jpg

Aspr came and gave me a lesson in mud riding today. We found the roads jmz suggested. CR 534 is awesome! CR 211 currently has 3 low/high water crossings which were almost to my waist as we pushed out the swamped klr. CR 277 had to be the slipperiest of all. Great 70 mile day ride. Thanks for getting me outa the house aspr. Now to drain the water out and dry my boots

Was a beautiful little ride. Its been so long my throttle hand cramped up! At least we know what the klr issue is. I spent more time sideways than straight!
74a41847dd32404e5e4c0c50d3084d70.jpg
cac18772b0052ec9aba88b03154a9e35.jpg
23c682763a4c02cc4bb618777a14d1dd.jpg

Rode down to the smoliks BBQ in Mathis and passed thru a time portal that seemed to be Texas in 1930

366b86f59cc4e4a9642bea688b9dd9d8.jpg
749a78cb3e45c71dddf23cc9a94b933e.jpg

Unrelated, saw this neat old elevator in a gutted building on St Mary's St in San Antonio
6e16681c66f4bdbf12b68cb7761c21d5.jpg

Last edited:
Rode down to the smoliks BBQ in Mathis and passed thru a time portal that seemed to be Texas in 1930

366b86f59cc4e4a9642bea688b9dd9d8.jpg
749a78cb3e45c71dddf23cc9a94b933e.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I saw them on 123 north of stockdale around 1pm, pretty sure it was the same group. I love smoliks, there is one in cuero aswell.

Finally met the legendary jmz! Southtex and I met up with him for a ride. Did the little gravel I have on the ranch followed up with some good county roads. 534, 211 & some others I dont remember. Southtex and I did about 95 miles. I'm sure jmz has some more.

c6ff56fa03d40f9f3f5a933b90e00cd8.jpg
410cdd0798796b35f75fdaedf30c5ccb.jpg
318f93b1debc8b0e79caa9e0abee3e1f.jpg

And yes I do have the On Any Sunday soundtrack, and yes I like to listen to it before I ride.

Last edited:
Yup, a very good day for a dirt ride. I’ll guess 10 total pavement miles for aspr and I. Good to meet you jmz and let’s not wait so long to do it again.

Man I missed out had to take the doughtier to Comic-Con and next Sunday got to go to Longview for work Maby sat next weekend I can ride those roads I need some wheels spin in my life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many wee stops y’all take lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We strategically stopped at my gate on the way out. A few breaks through. One thanks to the klr, at the same water crossing from Tuesday. I'll be getting the xrl finished up Friday and Saturday. Hopefully be legal mid November.

Spent the day at red River with new to me 500 and some friends.

Before and after

Bike is way more capable than me.

c8253e90fcb70e8f192107de4a32d5af.jpg

9c046450137654bf3d6604fdd1da0f36.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bart, you are doing what you love ! Good job . We all paid the admission for the stuff so let's get some use out of it ! THESE ARE THE DAYS !

Last edited:
Bart, you are doing what you love ! Good job . We all paid the admission for the stuff so let's get some use out of it ! THESE ARE THE DAYS !

Yeah, it makes me feel like a kid again. :rider:

Until I wake up in the morning feeling like an 80 year old man. :giveup:

I checked out the local roads just south of Llano. I wanted to see if the roads were passable. Coulee Hollow on CR315 as it crosses Sandy Creek still has a four foot deep soft bottom that will stop any bike! They hope to add limestone rock base the next few weeks.

The first pool of water in the image below with rocks is OK. The second "shallow" section is actually deep and has very soft sand at the bottom. The locals told me this section has had numerous ATV vehicles stuck in it recently. The heavy flooding of two weeks ago has washed away all of the rocks on the bottom, leaving a heavy accumulation of fine silt.

I did not venture through.

i-DvPm9Vh-L.jpg

The seven mile out and back CR308b road had some fun water crossings. Without the addition of the white rock river base, these creeks would be very hard to cross.

i-dwvN3Pg-L.jpg

Click Road

i-C4CgZGj-L.jpg

Click Road at Sandy Creek

i-hzW9jdq-L.jpg

Last edited:
The amount of rain Texas has gotten recently is really astounding. I drove from West Texas to Houston and back to West Texas the week of the Llano flooding. It never stopped raining from Katy to Midland.

The weekend after I got home, we took a ride to the Colorado River and Lake Spence to see just how high the levels there had risen. To our surprise, Spence had gone from 12 percent to 26 percent and the waterfall at the grotto was in full effect. It appears our drought is officially over:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIpuwyKwghM"]How Hurricane Willa effectively ended the West Texas drought - YouTube[/ame]

Okay, so lets test out the new forum software. (Thank you Scott for all of the time and effort you put into this forum)

Joe texted me last weekend about riding the Hill Country for a few days, and since I'm now permanently un-supervised I gladly said yes. Shortly after that text it occurred to me I hadn't asked which bike I should ride. (A first world problem) After careful consideration between two older-cautious motorcyclist, we chose the Super Dukes for this ride...

Joe and his SD.

DSC04263.JPG

Moi.

DSC04264.JPG

Food

DSC04236.JPG

And drink

DSC04234.JPG

Stopped in at Pecan Grove to check out the bikes.

DSC04243.JPG

DSC04242.JPG

I wanted one of these when I was a kid.

DSC04244.JPG

DSC04253.JPG

DSC04250.JPG

DSC04246.JPG

Random shots

DSC04259.JPG

It was a great ride. Thanks Joe!

Attachments

• DSC04256.JPG
    DSC04256.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
First time I finally found that place was in a roam about trip in '96 I think. I was on my pretty new '95 BMW R11GSA. Everything out there was flooded so had to ask some lady in her yard how to get there. She even drew me a map of how to get around the flood waters to Uptown and Downtown Luckenbach. I was amaze at the two places. Wonder if they still have the table of rocks at the uptown section where painted on the rock was " Turn Me Over " and when you did , painted on the other side was " Ahhh That Felt Good " .

Back