• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

adventure motorcycle show on netflix

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
*Apparently this is old news (it's new and exciting for me) but if you have been living with me here in my cave, check out the thread*

I found two shows. One called "long way round" and one callled "long way down".
I am half way through long way down and am really enjoying watching them trek through africa. I wish I had the money/time/etc to do such a trip.

Long way Round: ride from london england to new york, NY

long way down: ride from london england to capetown south africa

Ewan Mcgregor (star wars) and a few buddies on BMW GS adventure 1200s, 2 chase vehicles, lots of mud, lots of broken parts and a whole lot of fun.

Enjoy!

Check it out on netflix:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Down

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Round

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bi-8JKmOKIQ

I guess you've been under a rock for the past few years? :-P

Well for a long time between college and now I didn't have internet so yea...pretty much hahahahaha

It's like I am discovering a whole new world now that I have fast internet again.

I even did a few searchs before posting my thread and couldn't find any threads about either show.

Long way round came out in maybe 2006??? It is good. I enjoyed it a lot.

Long way down came out after maybe 2008. It was ok, but not as good as long way round.

I guess I have been under that same rock.

Just added both DVD's to my Netflix Que! :rider:

Saw them, didnt care for them. It was too manufactured and commercial. If I had their money, resources, and chase crews, I could do it too. Im not a fan of watching millionaires out playing in the dirt :mrgreen:

Saw them, didnt care for them. It was too manufactured and commercial. If I had their money, resources, and chase crews, I could do it too. Im not a fan of watching millionaires out playing in the dirt :mrgreen:

As I will likely never have the opportunity, I'm fine with watching it. :)

Honestly though, I'll watch just about anything motorcycle related.

I read this a lot and understand the sentiment, but I still quite enjoyed both. They used the resources they had to travel in a fun way and document it well...good for them IMO.

GlobeRiders on the other hand...well...as much as I enjoy old men complaining...

And just in time for my free Netflixs trial period. Thanks for the listings.

TravelDiva and I watched it last year and enjoyed it alot. Now that she's got her scoot we are watching it again. Chaaaaaarlie's the best part...

Hey look, there's a book too! :D

I liked it, more for the interaction between two buddy's on a trip together than the whole roughing it part. If you watch it and see only two millionaires traveling then you missed a whole lot.

While it's not on Netflix it looks like, there's supposed to be a good video out there of Charlie doing the Paris-Dakar race as well.

Hey look, there's a book too! :D

I liked it, more for the interaction between two buddy's on a trip together than the whole roughing it part. If you watch it and see only two millionaires traveling then you missed a whole lot.

While it's not on Netflix it looks like, there's supposed to be a good video out there of Charlie doing the Paris-Dakar race as well.

Yes. He's the better rider between them.

I read this a lot and understand the sentiment, but I still quite enjoyed both. They used the resources they had to travel in a fun way and document it well...good for them IMO.

+1

I also love the backstory few remember about first going to KTM for free bikes and being turned down, then BMW stepped in. The rest is history.

GlobeRiders on the other hand...well...as much as I enjoy old men complaining...

I quite literally ran into Helge Pedersen in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico earlier this year, at a restaurant there. He was on a leg from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego. I have a photo somewhere I'll dig up.

The cool thing about both Boorman/McGregor and Pedersen/Globeriders is that they went out and did it and documented it for a world wide audience (for those that don't know, some of Pedersen's Globeriders adventures can be found on TV.

Yeah, I'm jealous, and I think what they did and are doing is great.

Man, and I thought I got to Long Way Round late! :lol2:

I appreciated it for what it was... Two buddies who love motorcycles having the trip of a lifetime. Too many people talk smack after the fact- just chest-thumping and armchair quarterbacking IMO.

Another good thing about the show is that it was something I could watch with my wife, since she loves Ewan MacGregor!

Some similar shows that have come out lately are "Neal Bailey Rides" and "Marley Road Trip Africa". Both seemed to really be reaching for a sense of drama, to the point that I was rolling my eyes (at least the Marley one combined my enthusiasm for reggae and motorbikes). But, as Yodoc said, I'll pretty much watch ANYTHING moto-related. I even watched that dumb reality show about Larry Pegram balancing family with AMA Superbike racing.

I quite literally ran into Helge Pedersen in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico earlier this year, at a restaurant there. He was on a leg from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego. I have a photo somewhere I'll dig up.

Hopefully by literally you don't mean bike to bike contact :trust:

The cool thing about both Boorman/McGregor and Pedersen/Globeriders is that they went out and did it and documented it for a world wide audience (for those that don't know, some of Pedersen's Globeriders adventures can be found on TV.

Yeah, I'm jealous, and I think what they did and are doing is great.

Agreed in a general sense...the Globeriders footage just didn't come across the same way for me. Maybe it deserves more of a chance.

Let's put it this way:

If Helge (and his ilk) are out on motorbikes touring the world and making videos of it, no matter their support systems

- and -

I'm sitting here on a computer only talking about it and not out there doing the same

- then -

It's clear who the winner is :clap:

I'm in league with a comment above that talks to motorbikes on travel around the world, there's always something interesting in that.

Let's put it this way:

If Helge (and his ilk) are out on motorbikes touring the world and making videos of it, no matter their support systems

- and -

I'm sitting here on a computer only talking about it and not out there doing the same

- then -

It's clear who the winner is :clap:

I'm in league with a comment above that talks to motorbikes on travel around the world, there's always something interesting in that.

/thread

:thumb:

Loved these shows. I also saw part of "Race to Dakar" which only has Charlie but the second DVD wouldnt play..

Anyhow, I've read my fair share of people complaining about the videos. I don't get it... Producing high quality video of something like this is not cheap or easy.

Ok, Charlie's rant about KTM I do get, but in the end I think it was the right decision. I am certain BMW poured a lot of money into this venture, failure was not an option. KTM simply doesn't have pockets that deep.

I like the shows. As noted, they did something.

My favorite moto movie is Cycles South. Last time I checked it was also streaming on Netflix. I love the idea of camping off of a bike, and snorkeling for dinner.

OP, I love all of those shows. I have watched them all several times and like you try to share them with others every chance I get.

Back