• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Adventure Riders Association

Richard, I'm the promoter for the Annual Texas Redneck Ramble Dualsport ride, if there is any way to help you further the sport please let me know. As for the DFW area I lead DS rides here often. I'm about to launch a Newbie program to help the new comer learn basics of our sport with a ride full of instruction and pointers. The next Ramble will in Glenrose Tx May 6 and 7th. REL

Richard, I'm the promoter for the Annual Texas Redneck Ramble Dualsport ride, if there is any way to help you further the sport please let me know. As for the DFW area I lead DS rides here often. I'm about to launch a Newbie program to help the new comer learn basics of our sport with a ride full of instruction and pointers. The next Ramble will in Glenrose Tx May 6 and 7th. REL

Thanks for posting up Robert!

Riders,

Sander Avant is taking the lead on the San Antonio chapter and will be organizing/planning event in the SA area. He will be along shortly to post the details of what is planned for San Antonio.

PM sent.

IMO , DFW would need to be split. There's a lot of riders west of DFW. I would think most Ft Worths meet ups would wanna be west Ft Worth/Weatherford.

I have the same feeling. I'll respond to your PM when I am not at work.

Rich

Richard has asked me to help out with a DFW group. I am going to give it whirl but we are basically starting out at ground zero.

A couple challenges I see in DFW are as follows:

1. The DFW area is so big and traffic is bad enough that it is tough getting Fort Worth folks to go East and Dallas folks to go West on a regular basis, especially during the week for a monthly Meet and Greet.

2. The area being big also makes it a challenge to have monthly rides that are semi convenient to all in DFW because of the time it takes to get across town.

3. The last challenge is personal for me and that is my current work schedule will prevent me from doing much if any scouting to come up routes "local" to DFW for regularly scheduled rides.

Since participation is key for the success of any group long term I would like some suggestions or opinions regarding DFW from those of you that live in the DFW area.

Some questions to start you thinking:

1. Is it better to have a M&G on a week night or a weekend?

2. Would you prefer a Breakfast lunch or Dinner meeting if on the weekend?

3. Does it makes sense to have an East and West DFW M&G alternating locations every month?

4. Does anyone have any favorite day rides they would be willing to share so we can get started quickly with some monthly rides?

I would like to see this be a long running success in DFW. The more local participation we have the more successful the DFW group will be.

At this point I am open to any and all thoughts and suggestions.

Feel free to post in this thread, or shoot me a PM

Thanks!

Rich

Richard,
I love this, and feel it will be good to get more people together and ride. I would like to help out where I can with the DFW area.

Rich,
I am in East Dallas, I agree with most as feel it would be better split. As both east and west grow we can possibly do a quarterly meet and greet and twice a year group ride with both groups. Just a thought.

I think a weekend meet and greet works best, but I am also with you as due to work (I currently work in the industry) The weekends work best for me. But that is just me. I would really like to see success with a DFW group as well and want to contribute in any way I can.

I'm going to send you a pm when I get home tonight.

Looking for some folks in the Houston area that might be interested in starting up a SE Texas Chapter?

The former Texas Adventure subforum has now been changed to the Texas Adventure Rider's Assoc., subforum. Previously, only Trail Boss and Shadman had the ability to start a new thread there. Now anyone can do so. All the original content is still there as well.

I'm in!

I'd like to help, but can't commit to anything until after my boy ships out to boot camp. Should be March time frame. Once he's out I'll have nothing keeping me home. I'll post once he's out.

I will help where I can for the DFW chapter, I am in North Ft Worth.

The first highly unofficial planning meeting is being held right now at Friday Night Ice Cream Bike's at Burger Box in Richland Hills.

36fd229546d0f79d9626e8a147f94fee.jpg

DFW is huge and growing fast. Lots of people building in FW suburbs out west of Azle, Willow Park, and Cresson, even out past Springtown and Weatherford there are tons of new ranchettes. Lots of people building in Dallas suburbs out towards and east of Rockwall, Terrell, and Ennis. North and south DFW runs from Denton and Frisco to Hillsboro and Corsicana. Suburbs are 80-90 miles apart N/S and E/W. Worse, just about the whole area is traffic 12-16 hours a day, so even a central location is a 2 hour ride for some folks. I see 80-90 miles killing weeknight meet-and-greets and management meetings, but for all-day or weekend rides, 80-90 miles is nothing when neighboring chapters want to work together. Two chapters for DFW probably will not be enough to cover the geography.

So.....ADV = DS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sort of. ADV generally refers to longer trips on bigger bikes and includes highways to cover distances to dirt, up to around the world. Usually 650cc and up. DS usually means someplace dirty near home or RV or motel, often with a trailer, with short paved starts and between dirt areas. Usually 650cc and down.

However, never bet on what you won't see where. There once was a nutcase who rode a TW200 from Saginaw to Van Horn, then Chispa and Pinto Canyon Roads one day and FM170 between Presidio and Study Butte, up to Fort Davis, and on to Van Horn the next, then Old River and Old Ore Roads the next, then back to Saginaw. Funny thing was, way out in the middle of BBNP, about 25 miles from the nearest pavement, said nutcase stopped for pictures in the foothills and someone rode up on a 1200cc BMW. Said nutcase on the TW ran in to the Beemer rider again a couple months later, after riding from Saginaw TX to some mining road near Tincup CO. Odd as it seems, these two are really not that extreme, either.

Riders,

Sander Avant is taking the lead on the San Antonio chapter and will be organizing/planning event in the SA area. He will be along shortly to post the details of what is planned for San Antonio.

I am looking for someone to handle the San Antonio monthly meet & greets.

The next Breakfast and Ride is Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/18/17 - Backyard Bistro + 2 day ride option Then the 3rd Saturday each month except for January, the Medina County 250 will be held the Saturday of Martin Luther King Jr. weekend.

32037690350_047edb4ff2.jpg

We are looking at adding a Dual Sport / Adventure ride starting in Carlsbad, New Mexico to Alamogordo and back. One out route may roughly follow the NMBDR route to Cloudcroft then drop down to Alamogordo with the return on a different route, as much as possible. This area also gives us the option of true dual sport sections, including alpine single track. More info to follow...it will probably be Labor Day weekend.

Example of an Adventure out route

32790431096_4ba1056fd8_h.jpg

Last edited:
Simmons1, I would definitely be interested in being a part of some of your organized rides.... Maybe we could find some good rides in the North Texas area, too.

Simmons1, I would definitely be interested in being a part of some of your organized rides.... Maybe we could find some good rides in the North Texas area, too.

Caddo and LBJ Grasslands are combined about 35,000 acres and crisscrossed with park service and dirt/gravel roads. The soils in these areas are types easily eroded so stick to the roads. These are excellent locations for newbies because the roads usually are in pretty good shape with a variety of emergency and convenience services nearby for peace of mind that allows enjoying the scenery and wildlife. The Grasslands and nearby areas would be great places to explore and make up a ride route to share the nice places you discover. :rider:

EDIT: National Forest and Grassland maps available here.

Last edited:
Back