• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

V-Strom owners thread

I've used Shinko 705s. It's not a bad tire; handles as well in the gravel as the Anakee, and longevity is pretty good. It's not nearly as good on wet roads, it's noisy, and it'll probably feel a bit buzzy compared to the Anakee, which is a very smooth tire. The price is certainly right.

Discussing tires sometimes feels like an oil thread...I find 705's to be confidence inspiring on wet roads.

Yeah I know what you mean, I was just curious if a 110/80R19 could be replaced with a 110/90R19 I guess it's a little wider? My Anakee is 90 and Shinko's is 80.

Oh, is that what you really wanted to know? The tire mount guys would know better, but I think it'll work on the rim. According to my tire comparison spreadsheet, the 80-series tire will be about 1/2 " lower than the 90, and at 70 mph, the speedometer will register about 2 mph slower. This being a Vstrom, that'll actually pull the speedometer closer to actual speed. I don't know what to predict about handling because I've never used anything except an original sized tire on a bike.

I like my 705's so far... But my experience is limited. I have about 1500 miles on mine, mostly loaded for camping or two up and so far they seem to be holding up well. If I get 4K on the back I will call it a win.
What I did find while trying to keep up with Max-Flav and TimeToRide out near Graham was that at about 80+(actual) mph they seemed very squirrely, like the DL had become a hover-bike. Not that I should be riding my loaded Strom like my old ST1300.
I like them better that the stock Trail Wings in almost all other conditions.

Dang, I was thinking backwards last night; you're going to a 90 series. Yeah, .9" taller, so a potential fender issue makes sense. And at a true 70 mph, your speedo is going to be reading about 2.3 miles faster than it already reads.

Thanks men and ladies, no go on the 90. I have 10k on the Anakee and it is squared, the front is still good.think I will stick with it again. Central Texas powersports in Georgetown has 5 Anakee 3's in stock for 138.ea. that's cheaper than online. The 705 at Cycle Gear is 90.bucks. What tha heck 50 more bucks.

I loved the Anakee 3s on my old VStrom. Not the best tire on dirt, but it got you down a forest road to a campground. And on the road it was wonderful. When I use up my current Tourances, I may be switching back to them.

Thanks men and ladies, no go on the 90. I have 10k on the Anakee and it is squared, the front is still good.think I will stick with it again. Central Texas powersports in Georgetown has 5 Anakee 3's in stock for 138.ea. that's cheaper than online. The 705 at Cycle Gear is 90.bucks. What tha heck 50 more bucks.

Been getting mine here... Fast shipping, no tax (usually), occaisional free shipping offers.

http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL TIRES/Shinko/Shinko_705_dualsport.htm

I have the Mitas 07s and they are (for me) the perfect mix for on/off-road terrain. Price isn't bad at all at $240 a pair. Can't speak to wear as I only have 2k on them, but so far so good!

1b20f768bd5fe57a57e733314094967a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Man, its been slow in the Vstrom thread.... 7 month since an update? Must be a testament to reliability and rideability ;):trust:

Many of the frequent thread posters have moved on to Tenere's. I still have my Strom but have only ridden it twice in 2-1/2 years. Been staying busy traveling on the S10. If I ever stay home long enough I need to wash the Strom and put it up for sale.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I have not been riding mine too much to say. I did a ride to Canada back in June and upon returning parked it except for one m & G & E in July I think. I've been contemplating selling it but as old as it is I'm not sure I will get what I think it is worth, lol, and then again, just to get something newer with more insurance???? Meh, I'll just keep it and keep riding her.

I am very tempted to like the Super Ten as well but the thing I can't get over is the size of the engine vs the power rating... Seems very limited compared to some of the other big adventure bikes. It also seems like it would be very top heavy, but then again that might just be an optical thing.

I'm thinking once I get the house finished and have saved some money and settled in a little I'll probably start eyeing new bikes again but I'm still considering the FJ-09 over anything else right now.

I am very tempted to like the Super Ten as well but the thing I can't get over is the size of the engine vs the power rating... Seems very limited compared to some of the other big adventure bikes. It also seems like it would be very top heavy, but then again that might just be an optical thing.

I'm thinking once I get the house finished and have saved some money and settled in a little I'll probably start eyeing new bikes again but I'm still considering the FJ-09 over anything else right now.
A good friend of mine will be selling his 014 DL1000 Strom Adventure soon....very low miles & a great ride for sure... + its blue! (Custom painted BMW color)

If youre not interested in a Tenere.... This is the next best thing

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

For some reason my Tenere is the first vehicle I've had that I don feel the need to increase the power on it. Maybe because is so much smoother than my Strom was ,even with the werks clutch basket mod. To me the Tenere has good power around 3k -4k rpm's. It also feels more nimble than my Strom was, Especially on gravel/off -road .

A good friend of mine will be selling his 014 DL1000 Strom Adventure soon....very low miles & a great ride for sure... + its blue! (Custom painted BMW color)

If youre not interested in a Tenere.... This is the next best thing

Is it for sale yet?

Edit: Never mind Rod, I think I see it in the for sale forum.

Last edited:
Back