• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend after Christmas

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
We have a small group that meets in Big Bend every year between Christmas and New Years to ride both Parks, Camp and camaraderie. We usually stay in Terlingua and Study Butte. Post up on this thread if you plan on going.

Might be able to make it this year. My wife is heading to Phoenix after xmas with the dog so I don't need to hang around the house. Stars might just align for me.

I might show up, but I will be 'camping' out in the desert.

Being a busy week though I might not have any time off work.

I have tentative plans to make it to Terlingua between Christmas and New Years this year. I did a quick solo trip in that span last year. I will also be in Terlingua next weekend riding with my dad and brother mainly in the NP.

What are the dates you are looking at? My planned vacation time just got cancelled so I've got a little flexibility on what I can do after the holidays.

With any luck, I'll be in the neighborhood with some riding time... I'd love couple days in the Ranch... weather permitting..

I might show up, but I will be 'camping' out in the desert.

Being a busy week though I might not have any time off work.

My wife, and I think Linda, are looking forward to a river rafting trip if the flows and temperatures are suitable. Know a good guide!?

Please tell me more. I've been wanting to ride to Big Bend, and maybe this is the right time to do it. What's your first and last camping night, when do you camp, and what kind of riding do you do are all questions I'm curious about.

Please tell me more. I've been wanting to ride to Big Bend, and maybe this is the right time to do it. What's your first and last camping night, when do you camp, and what kind of riding do you do are all questions I'm curious about.

My schedule is the same as tossing lead -Jeff. I will be there the 23rd to Jan 2.
Normally we camp at Big Bend RV resort -Study Butte in the popup camping area. Water and electric at the sites. Bathroom and hot showers. Wifi also.
We ride all the roads in the National Park which are mainly class 1and class 2.
I am also planning on getting a group to go down to the State Park and camp and ride there for two days. The roads in the state park are more technical and not newbie friendly, class 2 and class 3 roads. The state park has few amenities and is remote. The scenery and riding is awesome and I like it better than the NP

Hmmm...a plan seems to be hatching...

My wife, and I think Linda, are looking forward to a river rafting trip if the flows and temperatures are suitable. Know a good guide!?
Well, I might have to put in for ONE day off work to take y'all out in the little red boat if all of those other factors come together. You know you have the right job when on your days off you go do the same thing you do at work for the fun of it! You even invest in good gear so you can do more of it.

IN already have reservations starting the 25th in Study Butte through the 2nd..

Well, I might have to put in for ONE day off work to take y'all out in the little red boat if all of those other factors come together. You know you have the right job when on your days off you go do the same thing you do at work for the fun of it! You even invest in good gear so you can do more of it.

I don't think the girls would have any trouble going through the service if that's better for you, I know they would want to have the companies best guide though!

Linda and I will be there 12/25 thru 1/2.

Looking forward to seeing you Ed.

I'll be there but leaning more towards waiting for the tourons to thin out this go-round so maybe 12/31 till ???

Probably look at bring the Jeep and DR this trip.

Hmmmm. Sounds fun and will try to make it. I am a fo' sho' maybe. What are the mileage requirements between gas stations?

Last edited:
I don't think the girls would have any trouble going through the service if that's better for you, I know they would want to have the companies best guide though!
If they schedule through the desk I may or may not be assigned to the trip, let alone their boat. All we need is one vehicle we can leave at the take-out river access point and then we can take my truck to the put-in. After the trip somebody drives me back up to my truck while the rest hang out with the boat. A day rowing the little red boat with friends is well worth a day off during busy weeks.

That's awesome, Ed. And how lucky for those that get to go with you.

I'm planning to be out there 12/27ish to 1/3 or 4ish. Staying at the fancy hotel and bringing the WR.

I've got 2 queen beds if someone was looking to share a room.

Last edited:
I'm planning to be out there 12/27ish to 1/3 or 4ish. Staying at the fancy hotel and bringing the WR.

I've got 2 queen beds if someone was looking to share a room.

What are you calling the (fancy hotel) Lajitas??

I'll be out there with a few folks camping on our land in Terlingua for the new year. I'll keep an eye on this thread!

Back