• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Minimal Riding Garb for Scooting

Reaction score
No doubt the road is just as abrasive if you land on it, but while the shiny side is up, maxi scooter riders are pretty well protected from the elements. So while AGATT may be the safe choice, it's not always the choice scooter riders make. But the bones are getting brittle, reaction time not what it was, so I'm thinking of gearing up a bit.

My question is, given the hot weather here in Texas, and the non necessity of protection from wind and to some extent even rain, what's a reasonable minimal riding set for around town riding and short 1-2 day road trips?

Full face, riding gloves, mesh jacket, mesh pants and riding boots. No exceptions. Especially on a larger scoot like Silverwing or Burgman.

Even a rain drop or a small bug hurts like h%^l when it hits bare skin. Now imagine a pebble or shrapnel hit you. Also, you need this protection around town than outside the town.

I have slipped more times at stop lights on grease and oil than I care to remember.

Just personal experience. If I don't want to gear up, I take the truck.

I'd say full face helmet and gloves.

Full face helmet in case you bonk your noggin. It would also suck to rash your face. I've seen too many rashed face shields to fool myself into thinking it doesn't happen often.

Gloves because when you go off your bike your instinct is to catch yourself with your hands. I don't know about you, but i consider my hands the 2nd most important body part. If you want to know why, try having a friend duct tape your hands into clubs for a day and see how you get along. I want gloves on to take the initial impact and hold my fingers together.

I wear a high quality jacket, but i really only consider it rash protection. It's got elbow pads and a back protector, but i don't think they're going to do much. Even the jacket isn't going to do much if i slide feet first. Like most people, i don't cinch the jacket up tight enough or secure it to my pants to keep it from riding up.

I don't wear riding pants. The jeans i normally wear i expect to shred. It's surprising how tough jeans seem, but when drug across asphalt they come apart like tissue paper.

I don't wear riding boots either. I think people make the mistake of think leather boots (Cowboy, Harness, etc.) or high ankle boots (Hi-Tops, Hiking Boots, etc.) are good. They're not. While they won't immediately fling off like regular shoes, it just means the EMTs will have to cut what's left of them off you. Get real riding boots if you don't want you feet and ankles full of hardware.

If i had to put them in order of importance, it'd go: helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, pants. Now that you've gone and made me think about it, i'll have to go buy some boots. I have a pair now, but they're dual sport/MX style. Not something i like to wear around often.

You question is a good one. I am going through the same self examination of my riding habits. For years (40+) I just wore what was comfortable and enjoyed riding with the wind in my face. I've even rode with shorts and tee shirt....... Never worried about getting hurt.

This past winter it was easy to talk myself into wearing a big padded jacket, gloves, boots, full face helmet and all.......... but they helped keep me warm.

Now it's getting warm and it will be hot soon.

I don't think I can enjoy riding in 100+ temperatures with a full face helmet and a big padded jacket. How miserable is that? I wonder when I see someone riding in hot weather with full gear how they can stand it. I've seen friends drip pools of sweat when taking off their riding gear at a stop.

Up North they have a riding season.....the summer. Down in Texas fall, winter, and spring are the riding seasons.

Now, IF someone can point me to a lightweight protective mesh type jacket that is cool to wear, I just might buy one and use it this summer!

No doubt the road is just as abrasive if you land on it, but while the shiny side is up, maxi scooter riders are pretty well protected from the elements. So while AGATT may be the safe choice, it's not always the choice scooter riders make. But the bones are getting brittle, reaction time not what it was, so I'm thinking of gearing up a bit.

My question is, given the hot weather here in Texas, and the non necessity of protection from wind and to some extent even rain, what's a reasonable minimal riding set for around town riding and short 1-2 day road trips?

You question is a good one. I am going through the same self examination of my riding habits. For years (40+) I just wore what was comfortable and enjoyed riding with the wind in my face. I've even rode with shorts and tee shirt....... Never worried about getting hurt.

This past winter it was easy to talk myself into wearing a big padded jacket, gloves, boots, full face helmet and all.......... but they helped keep me warm.

Now it's getting warm and it will be hot soon.

I don't think I can enjoy riding in 100+ temperatures with a full face helmet and a big padded jacket. How miserable is that? I wonder when I see someone riding in hot weather with full gear how they can stand it. I've seen friends drip pools of sweat when taking off their riding gear at a stop.

Up North they have a riding season.....the summer. Down in Texas fall, winter, and spring are the riding seasons.

Now, IF someone can point me to a lightweight protective mesh type jacket that is cool to wear, I just might buy one and use it this summer!

I'm in the market for the BEST flowing, ventilated air-mesh jacket also. I have a First Gear now but suspect there are better flowing jackets.

Wear full gear on your scooter. We've worked scooter crashes here in Temple-the crash, impact and road feel the same on motorcycle or scooter.

Wear as much gear as you can stand. That's pretty much it.

I love my first gear mesh. At speed it's almost like wearing a tshirt.

I'm in the camp of ATGATT regardless of cc displacement. yeah, it's hot in the summer, but the potential benefit of gearing up outweighs the risk in my opinion. I'm starting to get skittish even riding the bicycle at 20, 30 and 40mph with just that silly little beanie helmet and cycle shorts/shirt.

Helmet, (full-face to protect the chin/jaw/cheeks)
Gloves (mesh, armored knuckles)
Mesh Jacket (Olympia mesh jackets)
Mesh Pants (Olympia mesh pants)
Boots - riding specific, not cowboy

If you get hot, just douse yourself with a water-bottle and let the evaporative effect take place. Wear shorts under the mesh pants, or bicycle shorts.

Helmet - full face - all the time. No exceptions (also wear ear plugs).
Gloves - What are you - nuts? Can't imagine riding without them.
Jacket - Here again, fell nakid without one (but mesh is fine).
Boots - Prefer to ride with my Sidi's, but sometimes opt for hiking boots.
Pants - I use to always ride with pants, but now I'm usually in jeans. I've slowed down and don't ride any where near as aggressively as I once did.

I started using a backbrace/kidney belt years ago. It's become a standard piece of equipment that I grab on my way out the door, just like my helmet and gloves. I won't leave home without it except for very short rides. I bought it at the Int'l Motorcycle show in Dallas four years ago and wore it on the ride home. The additional comfort was unbelievable. I didn't stop until I reached Austin and felt like I could ride another 200 miles. It was a great improvement over the ride up to Dallas.

Most of the year:
Full-face Helmet, Gloves, Earplugs and Boots are the minimum that I will ride with. Tourmaster Elite two-piece rain suit for wet days. I actually like riding in jeans and a T-shirt (without jacket, riding pants, etc.) but they are not adequately protective. I've never tried the kevlar Jeans so maybe they would be a good alternative to basic jeans. I have an older First Gear Air jacket but there are times when even that feels hot and constraining. I've recently used a half-helmet and love the openness and comfort they provide. I can't bring myself to think that they provide an adequate level of protection although Harley Davidson dealers provide them with their rental bikes and Victory provided them during their Demo rides.

For really cold days:
Fullface helmet, boots, earplugs, Goretex lined Motoport Riding pants and a leather First Gear Jacket with Winter Riding Gaunlet style gloves. I also use an Aerostich wind triangle during cold weather. I don't know if Aerostich still sells them.

I don't know why scooter riders believe they are immune from crashes and drivers running stop signs. Working in law enforcement, I see it all the time.

I don't know why scooter riders believe they are immune from crashes and drivers running stop signs. Working in law enforcement, I see it all the time.

I don't doubt it. But it's a cost/benefit calculation, and everyone has a different idea where the line should be. Maximum safety is to not ride at all, we all know that. Especially in the US where bikes are so few that they are often just not seen by auto and truck drivers.

For me, I've always preferred to ride with a full faring and windshield, but with minimal head protection. Usually a half helmet, 3/4 for freeway travel (to cut the wind noise).

Wearing a full face cover to me seemed pointless, no wind in the face = might as well be in a cage. I know this is sacrilege to many riders, and I don't pose this as a recommendation. It's just where I, personally, draw the line on cost/benefit.

As to other protection, it seems like a good jacket and gloves is probably the way (for me) to go. I'm also considering a mesh suit like the Olympia Stealth suit, and will be trying one on shortly.

I don't doubt it. But it's a cost/benefit calculation, and everyone has a different idea where the line should be. Maximum safety is to not ride at all, we all know that. Especially in the US where bikes are so few that they are often just not seen by auto and truck drivers.

For me, I've always preferred to ride with a full faring and windshield, but with minimal head protection. Usually a half helmet, 3/4 for freeway travel (to cut the wind noise).

Wearing a full face cover to me seemed pointless, no wind in the face = might as well be in a cage. I know this is sacrilege to many riders, and I don't pose this as a recommendation. It's just where I, personally, draw the line on cost/benefit.

As to other protection, it seems like a good jacket and gloves is probably the way (for me) to go. I'm also considering a mesh suit like the Olympia Stealth suit, and will be trying one on shortly.

I'm with you on this one. Lot's o folk to tell you you're wrong though... :zen:

My choice--ATGATT
Your choice--Well, your choice.

Mesh is pretty good and really isn't much if any hotter than not wearing it. I think it is cooler because the Texas sun isn't beating you to death. If you are out for a day ride or longer, something like this http://www.goathleticapparel.com/shop/38-heat-gear/qwikwick-long-sleeve-baselayer-shirt , or LD comfort is the way to go. Wet, adjust to good evaporation, repeat. A lot of air flow isn't always the answer. If you are commuting in business attire, take the car.
Above 95 degrees, I prefer textile, but restricting air flow will result in a decent evaperation rate with mesh and keep you cooler than with the hot air increasing your body temp and drying you out to the point you may find yourself in trouble.

Test yourself. No scraping, breaking or bruising is involved here and isn't part of the equasion. That is for later. On one of those marvelous hunerd degree days, find yourself a sunny piece of parking lot or sidewalk and lay down on it. Stay there a full 60 seconds if you can. Now think how you will end up if you are unable to move, for say 4-5 minutes with the gear you choose. I have never been able to get the t-shirt guy to take me up on the challenge. You know the one, the know it all who is telling you that you aren't practicing freedom, and how hot your gear is when he has never even seen it outside a picture, and may even not ride.
Kind of an eye opener, huh.

Good luck in what ever direction you decide to go in.

Or, just ride your own ride instead of challenging other people to contests.

I ride ATGATT no matter how short or long the ride it. If it is too hot, I just don't ride. I agree with LostinTexas in that I find it hotter to have the sun beating on me than wearing the gear. I don't wear top of the line gear because I am still using the same gear that I bought when I didn't have a pot to pee in and I don't want to buy new gear until I can afford the absolute best. I am not going to offer the same PC answer of "each to his own" because I have seen too many bad things happen to too many good people that would wear a helmet, a tank top, and sandals. Why bother wearing a helmet if you are simply going to die from infection due to road rash? :shrug:

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck and pray regularly for you and ALL bikers on the road as we are already sitting ducks with or without the gear.

Like this?

467492a4-16bf-b279.jpg

Back