• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thinking of a KTM 500 EXC

^^^ I would love to have one....maybe some day.
Pretty much a non compromising bike with a laser focus.

They are definitely nice. I had a '13 wr450 I plated and rode on some dual sport rides. That bike was great, but just wasn't designed for long distance pavement rides (e.g. gearing, oil capacity, fuel capacity options, etc.) The aftermarket dual sport lighting kits are good, but they are just not the same quality as OEM in my opinion. I finally resolved to focusing on street legal bikes from the factory. The KTM 500exc seems to be the hot item these days and it is street legal. I wouldn't be too worried about longevity. I suspect unless you are racing it, these little motors will go much longer than what's in the service schedule. I'm a Yamaha guy though :)
image_zpsygyigro1.jpg

Pretty much a non compromising bike with a laser focus.

I don't see that as an accurate description of the 500 exc, although it is just my opinion, and you may be 100% correct. To me a laser focus implies a bike set up for one thing only--say a Supercross bike, or something similar. The 500 exc is extremely versatile. Look at Tricepilot exploring the interior of Mexico buying gas from a coke bottle. Then you have kirbykajin lining his up and racing it. How much more versatile can a motorcycle be?

KTM threads always break down into reliability debates, on all the different internet sites. In the majority on instances, again this is just my opinion, the "too expensive/too much maintenance/not reliable argument is from those who don't even own one.

^^^Don't need to own one to know what the valve adjust interval is
Or the top end interval.

30 hours for valve adjust
70 hours top end for race
135 hours non race

I stand by my description.

^^^Don't need to own one to know what the valve adjust interval is
Or the top end interval.

30 hours for valve adjust
70 hours top end for race
135 hours non race

I stand by my description.

:tab I agree with you regarding the schedule. What I am curious about is what is meant by a "top end"?

:tab Checking and adjusting the valves is not that hard, even for someone like me that is not a hard core wrencher. The big thing is whether or not you have the right sized shims handy when you need them. Like many modern bikes, once they've been adjusted once, maybe twice, it is unlikely they will ever need to be touched again for a very long time.

:tab As for the top end, a few years ago I decided to do a leak down test on my bike, a 2010 530 EXC. It was barely leaking by (still in spec) and the valves were fine as far as we could tell. However, I was using more oil than I expected. So just for grins I replaced the piston rings. I had help from another TWT rider. It was not hard and only took us a few hours. In the end, it made no difference. My bike just uses a bit of oil. I top it off (a few ml) every morning if needed when I am on a multiday trip where I may be putting 200-300 miles/day on it. I usually ride it pretty hard and like to really whack the throttle because it just gets up and moves like crazy.

:tab I had an 02 KLR 650. Doing the valves on it was about the same as it is on the KTM. The interval is slightly longer. The shims are still a pain compared to screw/tappets like you'd find on a DR650 or my 1200 GS. The KLR used oil worse than the KTM. The big difference though is the KLR held like 3-1/2 qts whereas the KTM only holds 900ml in the engine and 900ml in the tranny, so not as much cushion for losing oil. I really haven't put any more effort into maintaining the KTM than I did the KLR. Like Tricepilot said though, the difference in all areas of performance is like night and day. Even now, five years after having sold the KLR, every time I ride the KTM I can't keep the thought out of my head when riding even moderately technical stuff, "Thank God I am not riding the KLR!" :lol2:

:tab The KLR beats the KTM in two areas, long distance comfort and carrying capacity. The stock KLR seat was lame and had to be replaced with something better. Once done, I could ride it a long time without issue. The stock KTM seat is lame and needs to be replaced with something better, but I spend enough time standing when riding it that I just haven't gotten around to it. Wind protection isn't really an issue as both bikes are similar. I had the stock small screen on the KLR. As for range in general, I have a 6.5 gallon tank on my KTM that gives me a range of 300+ miles. It amazes me that the KTM gets the mpg that it does given how I ride it and the difference in power compared to the KLR. The KTM is very weak in terms of it's ability to carry a LOT of luggage. That said, I have camped off it for a week. That included carrying food and cooking gear. It still handled fine, even in really nasty rocky stuff. The KLR can be packed like crazy, but you had better do the subframe bolt upgrade. Mine almost fell off completely during a trip in Arizona, even AFTER the upgrade!

:tab I would not hesitate to take my KTM down into Mexico if I knew I was going to be doing stuff like they ride on the MexTrek events. The better handling and lighter weight make a HUGE difference on the rough roads. But that would be a trip where I would not be doing each day's riding packed down with everything I need for the whole trip. If I were going to be doing an extended trip, staying in different locations each day, I'd opt for a BMW 650/800/1200 GS, KTM 690/950/990/1190/1290, YamahaTenere 1200, Suzuki DR650, or even a KLR 650, all strictly for their ability to carry more stuff. Maintenance wise, the DR650 would probably be the easiest to do while on the road.

:tab So as always, it seems to me that whether a bike is "perfect" or not really depends on what you plan to do with it. I was sent a PM by the OP in this thread with a link to an ad for a KTM 500 EXC that I would LOVE to have for the kinds of trips I generally do... Alas... I just can't justify the expense right now in light of other priorities :-? It sure is sweet though.

:tab I have recently watched all of Lyndon Poskitt's [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utXZKuo8iws&list=PLebjQbsuu9jDfukT2wZK8c2X6Uz_U4VJe]Races to Places videos[/ame] of his trip around the world on a KTM 690. He lives off the bike for extended periods of time. It astounds me how much stuff he is able to pack on it. He rides it hard and in VERY remote places. He even rally races it when he arrives at certain places. There have been some issues, but the same is true for trips I have watched with any other bikes. The key is to know your bike and how to deal with the issues it might have. Then there is this guy... riding the 500's

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRw17xMxqlU"]MOTONOMAD - 7000km, 7 countries on KTM 500EXC's - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Qi02_CuI0"]MOTONOMAD II - 1080HD - YouTube[/ame]

Why don`t you just ride a DRZ and a KTM each for 30 min then see what puts a bigger smile on your face??? As a owner of a DR650 and a 500 there is not one correct answer..:rider:

:tab To be honest, my biggest problem with my KTM is that I tend to go through back tires in a hurry... :-P I generally run a more aggressive rear knobby that others might use for general DS riding. If I were planning a more 50/50 trip, I'd probably go with a less aggressive longer lived tire. But it is just sooooo much fun otherwise ;-)

:tab I have the same problem with my 1200 GS :doh: I tend to keep a set of TKC 80's on it because it just makes such a big difference in the loose stuff. I am lucky to get 2500-3000 miles out of a rear on either bike.

Last edited:
:tab To be honest, my biggest problem with my KTM is that I tend to go through back tires in a hurry... :-P I generally run a more aggressive rear knobby that others might use for general DS riding. If I were planning a more 50/50 trip, I'd probably go with a less aggressive longer lived tire. But it is just sooooo much fun otherwise ;-)

:tab I have the same problem with my 1200 GS :doh: I tend to keep a set of TKC 80's on it because it just makes such a big difference in the loose stuff. I am lucky to get 2500-3000 miles out of a rear on either bike.

Another short KTM service interval....replacing tires :lol2: All that excessive HP I reckon.

Not sure why KTM has such a short service interval on their top end but I'm thinking there is a good reason.(racing pedigree?)

Top end would involve checking service limits on ring end gap,piston to cylinder clearance,cylinder taper and out of round,piston pin and bearing,valve and valve seat,valve guide and cam chain.

It's possible that all could be within service limit but it wouldn't make sense to not at least replace the rings and piston pin/bearing if nothing else if you went to that much trouble.

As you stated rocker arm valve adjustment is nice and easy but is generally needs to be checked at least twice as often as shim type.Also rocker arms tend to be harder on valve guides with their side load.

The longest valve adjust service interval in the industry(for OHC) I believe belongs to Yamaha at 26k miles with no initial adjustment needed....pretty incredible.

Last edited:
The longest valve adjust service interval in the industry(for OHC) I believe belongs to Yamaha at 26k miles with no initial adjustment needed....pretty incredible.

:tab While not a specified interval, Honda VFR's were known for going 60K+ without any change in valve clearances. Many owners would check them for the first two specified intervals and then forget about it. It was not uncommon to see VFRs with well over 100K miles on them. I had 60K and 46K on the two I owned and the valves never needed to be adjusted (they were checked though). Those two bikes ran fantastic! I knew other VFR owners with similar experiences.

:tab I think a big factor in the KTM intervals is that they probably expect the bikes to be raced and ridden very hard. They are designed for a higher level of performance which means higher operating stresses. Still, I have read many reports of people using them for DS service and extending the intervals far beyond what is mandated by KTM. I would also expect a manufacturer to be very conservative with respect to their specified intervals just as a CYA kind of thing.

:tab A bike like my 530 or the newer 500 should not be that hard to work on because it is just a thumper. I would MUCH rather work on that than the VFR 800's I used to ride!! That is even true for the Vstrom 650 I used to have. Getting to the bits you need is FAR easier and they are generally simpler. Of course the same is true for the KLRs, DR650's, and other thumpers. Most of the stuff I have done with my KTM have been optional items like the larger gas tank, upgraded water pump, upgraded oil pump, and the addition of a radiator fan, specifically to make it a better DS bike. So to be fair, in stock trim, my 530 was not a real good DS bike for going any distance. It was definitely more of a day ride bike, especially because of the small gas tank. The headlight is also laughable, and that remains to be dealt with still. I just haven't needed to do any night time riding with it yet. The thing is, once these upgrades were done, the bike really is just a totally different beast than my KLR with its various upgrades to make it a better DS bike. I can ride far more technical stuff with MUCH less effort. The result is less fatigue throughout the day and fewer mistakes as a result of that fatigue. I jokingly told my wife that the KTM would save on medical expenses because I would crash less, and thus it would pay for itself :-P The reality is that there is a bit of truth there.

Riding the 500 as a true dual sport. like many here do, honestly the bike is not even breaking a sweat. I would say real world that a stock piston could probably go 600 hours in true dual usage, but at half that time I would be looking at it. I consider the bottom end (crank) to be the life of the engine, with good maintenance. They are pretty robust.

Valves--not sure what the factory frequency is but they probably won't need adjusting--possibly they may need an initial adjustment. The valve train on all KTMs now are tough--as good as anything in the class.

I have no idea why people say they have concerns. Yes it is not a WR250 (thank goodness) but this is a proven platform, and an EXTREMELY high performance platform at that. The same bike that piddles around on dirt roads could line up and win a race. Where else you gonna get that?

The only advice I have for those that have a pre-2017 KTM exc or xcw four stroke is to not ride a 2017. The new ones are incredibly good, and a noticeable step up from even the previous generation (which are great bikes as many here already know).

:clap::rider:

There's a couple of really anti KTM guys on TWTEX, that's fine. I'll stick with them, they work, end of story. Take care of them and they will be fine. Puts a grin on my face every time I ride.
"A guy on ADVrider had to do a top end on his 2013 at 350 hours and he paid
$2300 to have it done."
350 hours on basically a race bike and complaining??

Why don`t you just ride a DRZ and a KTM each for 30 min then see what puts a bigger smile on your face??? As a owner of a DR650 and a 500 there is not one correct answer..:rider:
This is the most logical post in this thread.

There's a couple of really anti KTM guys on TWTEX, that's fine. I'll stick with them, they work, end of story. Take care of them and they will be fine. Puts a grin on my face every time I ride.
"A guy on ADVrider had to do a top end on his 2013 at 350 hours and he paid
$2300 to have it done."
350 hours on basically a race bike and complaining??

Not anti KTM at all.Some have the attitude that KTM is the end of story.

Well...not everyone wants an expensive,38" seat height,1 bun wide seat,

High strung race bike with lights.

I want to go 40k + miles without having to rebuild my engine once or twice.

I want to do long distances comfortably and carry a load.

I cannot utilize the full potential of some Japanese DS bikes much less a KTM.

But as stated I would love to have one but there is a price to pay beyond the initial investment.

Simply,there are more versatile Cheaper DS sport bikes that can put big grins IMO

Don't be offended when not everyone subscribes to team orange.

There is room for us all.Ride on:rider:

Last edited:
Anyone considering an EXC may first want to evaluate their riding skills. KTM's are street legal race bikes with race-oriented geometries, which are sometimes not the best choice for people with limited off-road experience. And while the 500 will lay waste to the AT in the woods, it also has relatively "twitchy" characteristics on the street.

The OP may have extensive dirt experience, which is a definite plus. If not, it may pay dividends to find a loaner KTM/dual sport and spend a day riding in various conditions. With its ability to deliver explosive power instantaneously, the 500 demands a rider's full attention. In the hands of the right person (aka KirbyKajin), it's magic. A novice may walk away with a different opinion.

Gang, I am getting serious about adding a KTM 500 EXC to the barn. Does anybody have one that can offer insights, suggestions?...
Not sure if I should consider the 350 instead, but I want it street legal and I am a big guy at 250 lbs!...

OP started thread only asking 500 EXC or 350 EXC opinions from owners. Not opinions on which brand or type of bike he should buy.
but this is the internet and you don't always get what you ask for.

_

Thinking of KTM 500 implies he hasn't made his mind up.

Maybe the OP appreciates the pros and cons of a potential purchase.

I guess only the OP knows.

Last edited:
I have a ktm 500 and 350 which I ride with my kids. I think the 350 is an amazing bike that does almost everything the 500 can do. The biggest negative I have seen is the 350 (when geared for off road riding) doesn't love running down the highway. I like to ride a lot of dual sport adventure riding, so this aspect of the 350 isn't great for me. You can change the gearing, but you sacrifice off road capability. The 500 can do both great. That being said, there isn't much comparison off road where I think the 350 is the perfect bike. My only other comment is that I weight 195 and the 350 has plenty of power of me but don't know how it would handle a bigger guy. My 21 year old son races the 350 in Arkansas loves it. We also take the 350 to Colorado every summer and it is strong in the high altitudes. Both are amazing bikes with a slightly different purpose. Good luck

I do appreciate all of the input, pro / con / insights and everything in-between. Have been watching and listening to see where this all goes.

Being that I will do 99% of all service and tear down work, nothing I have heard about the KTM scares me off at all. I am all for lighter weight, high performance street legal dirt bikes!

I have a ktm 500 and 350 which I ride with my kids. I think the 350 is an amazing bike that does almost everything the 500 can do. The biggest negative I have seen is the 350 (when geared for off road riding) doesn't love running down the highway. I like to ride a lot of dual sport adventure riding, so this aspect of the 350 isn't great for me. You can change the gearing, but you sacrifice off road capability. The 500 can do both great. That being said, there isn't much comparison off road where I think the 350 is the perfect bike. My only other comment is that I weight 195 and the 350 has plenty of power of me but don't know how it would handle a bigger guy. My 21 year old son races the 350 in Arkansas loves it. We also take the 350 to Colorado every summer and it is strong in the high altitudes. Both are amazing bikes with a slightly different purpose. Good luck

^ Very interesting. My only additional comment is that the 500 lends itself better to "adventure mods". IMHO.

Deciding upon which model to choose can be challenging

i-m94mMxQ-M.jpg

Ok, I want one of those !!!!!

Honestly the decision on the KTM 500 is done, the only thing I am struggling with now is new 2017 for about 12k and change or a lightly used for 8 to 9k.

I did watch some great youtubes on the new ones, lots of new smog stuff and the kick starter is an additional $400 or so if that is important. Otherwise new seems pretty freaking amazing...

Ok, I want one of those !!!!!

Honestly the decision on the KTM 500 is done, the only thing I am struggling with now is new 2017 for about 12k and change or a lightly used for 8 to 9k.

I did watch some great youtubes on the new ones, lots of new smog stuff and the kick starter is an additional $400 or so if that is important. Otherwise new seems pretty freaking amazing...

I personally would go with a lightly used XCW and convert it, because no smog stuff to start with and to switch to a bigger tank smog stuff (charcoal canister) has to be removed.. I have a 13 XCW and the most fun bike I have ever rode especially when it`s in its element. Big Bend!!:rider:

For local stuff, defined by me as being no more than 1000 miles from the truck, I think the KTM meets or exceeds all of my requirements. I would like to know the pros/cons if I go further than that. For example, if I go to South America and burn 20,000 miles, would the KTM be the right bike if I wanted something light? Or, would a DR650 be a better bike because it may not need a piston while on the trip, notwithstanding it being slower and heavier? It's just a personal question I'm trying to get underneath. Performance vs. utility trade off. I am trying to really understand the sweet spot for a bike like the 500. These things are like golf clubs, you have to select the proper one for each occasion. I sure wouldn't mind a 500 for the grin factor.

David, for a South America trip I would take a properly set up DR due to being more comfy for long perods, also KISS keep it simple, if you do have problems a DR can probably be fixed much easier.. On top of that a DR can be loaded down like a pack mule with no worries..

Back