• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rox risers - bad idea on a DS?

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Warren
I replaced bent OEM bars on an XR650L with Renthal highs.

Today was the first day I've spent some extended time standing and the bars just aren't high enough.

I have a set of Rox Risers, but can't decide if it's a good idea or not on a bike that will see 80/20 dirt over pavement. There is a lot of leverage generated on two weak links ... friction fit clamshell clamps.

So ...

Bad idea?

or

Shouldn't be a problem.

I’d say if you don’t feel like you have to have them I’d go without. I run them on my KLR love them had no issues. Threw a pair on my klx and am constantly having to adjust or tighten them just another thing to mess with.

I've debated the same, bars are low when I stand. I have 2" Roxs from my previous bike just sitting there.

I use HDB risers and have 3" risers on both of my dirt bikes. They are solid and do not ever come loose.

Drz has the hdb risers and they are a pretty substantial rise-can’t remember how much, but I haven’t ever had any problems with them and I drop my dirt bikes unlike some of the people here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about putting some ape hangers on my Dr
At 6'5" went with 2" Rox risers instead. No Issues and the pig gets ridden hard .

Sent from the dark side of the moon using Tapatalk

I was thinking about putting some ape hangers on my Dr
At 6'5" went with 2" Rox risers instead. No Issues and the pig gets ridden hard .

Sent from the dark side of the moon using Tapatalk

The tall Renthal bars only add about 1/2" in rise. I still found myself leaning forward and my weight onto the bars and fatiguing my arms and shoulders too quick.

Another solution might be to lower the pegs an inch or so. But not the most desirable solution because it changes so many things like shifter and brake position.

I have the risers and am leaning towards installing them and see how it works. They sure are purdy, though ... hate to beat them up.

Anyone have a set of black anodized they would like to trade?

https://photos.smugmug.com/For-sale/i-fCJNVTp/0/85cdb21c/X2/RoxRiser_01-X2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Use ROX 2” risers on both my 1150GS’ and theyre great. You do have to tighten real good, but I’ve done a 1300 mile off-pavement ride including 4WD passes through NM and CO on both with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also run the 2in risers on my 650l. About 5k on them ,no problems.

Doctor them with a little red loctite.

That's probably the best advice right there. I would try em bare first, if they slip loctite em up. Just don't get any of the red in the screw holes. I imagine blue would work as well.

Worried about that purty polished finish? That's what paint is for! Afterall, its just a dirt bike, it ain't for lookin' at

That's probably the best advice right there. I would try em bare first, if they slip loctite em up. Just don't get any of the red in the screw holes. I imagine blue would work as well.

Worried about that purty polished finish? That's what paint is for! Afterall, its just a dirt bike, it ain't for lookin' at

Agree, red not advisable for the bolts.. The green loctite its used for things like bearing races/housing and could be used in the area between the bars and the clamping space area. Dries and would lock in for sure.

Green...A high viscosity retaining compound for joining fitted cylindrical parts

Last edited:
I used risers on all of my dirt bikes. Long torso with long arms, and it helped a great deal when standing. I used Tusk risers, but the same idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks BT ... I ordered a set of Tusks ... want a nice set of Rox risers for that new rig?

Agree, red not advisable for the bolts.. The green loctite its used for things like bearing races/housing and could be used in the area between the bars and the clamping space area. Dries and would lock in for sure.

Green...A high viscosity retaining compound for joining fitted cylindrical parts

Absolutely...It is often called out in tech manuals for retaining bearings on a shaft. Not everyone has green lying around.

Anodize those puppies. I been wanting to try my hand at home anodizing myself.

:tab I have the 2" ROX on my 1200 GS and on my KTM 530 EXC. They work great.

:tab Here's the deal. If you fall over and there is no where for things to move to relieve the force of impact, they tend to bend or break. My risers have NEVER moved while doing any riding, sitting or standing, in any kind of terrain. However, when the bike hits the ground, if they are not overly tight, they will move a little, and this can be the difference between a bent handle bar or just readjusting the risers. This has happened on both bikes. My KLR 650 however had fixed risers. I bent several sets of bars on that bike just from mild drops. My 530 went through a nasty high side off some ice and landed hard after being a good ways up in the air. The bars were fine and are still on there. We did have to loosen and realign them though, and then the bike was good to go after I could finally breathe again...

hmmm ... hadn't considered that aspect.

Thanks.

I love forums, I can learn from others mistakes. :D

:tab Saturday I was out riding with my son... "Oh yeah, this corner is where I slid the back end of my KLR 650 around 270 degrees, coming to a stop upright but still with enough spin momentum that I could not keep from falling over sideways... and bending my BRAND NEW handle bars on the very first ride with them after replacing the set I had just bent..." :doh: He thought that was funnny. I think I went through three sets of bars on the KLR. I am still on my first set on the KTM 530 EXC and it has had its fair share of whacks.

Being 6'8", I've always run Rox on my bikes. It's the only way I can somewhat comfortably stand ! ! !

I'm planning on getting a set of the 1.75 or 2 inch ROX risers for my Versys. I've tried standing on the pegs and I can, but I can't really accelerate if I do. The angle is just too steep to move my wrist. Controls don't seem to be an issue, but I've only seen about 10-15 miles of gravel road so far.

I'm planning on getting a set of the 1.75 or 2 inch ROX risers for my Versys. I've tried standing on the pegs and I can, but I can't really accelerate if I do. The angle is just too steep to move my wrist. Controls don't seem to be an issue, but I've only seen about 10-15 miles of gravel road so far.

Get them, you'll be glad you did ! ! !

Back