• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Austin TARA: Monthly ride

Great group to ride with. Thanks for letting me join in.

Ditto. Great to meet some local riders. Thanks to Thomas for taking the lead. I enjoyed riding sweeper for the first half of the ride and turning over turtles before heading back along Yeagher & the airstrip.

Hope to see y'all again in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great ride!
Many thanks to the Africa twin rider ( sorry. I'm really bad with names) who step in and took the lead.
I had to split up from the group to search for gas, which was challenging.

Love this group!
Shai

FYI. Gas [emoji579] at Stripes in Blanco. Pulled right in.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Hey Guys, beautiful day and a good ride, just a little bit of gas anxiety. Happy to hear people made it back without running out of gas. Yesterday was an Africa Twin day, today I'm rebuilding the front forks of the KLR with some Cogent springs. Beautiful day for It too.
Thomas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

b9bfa220528b57ba1a81c334abf13751.jpg

Mike filling up a bottle of gas.

33d2c452187ade3b0b9f11744eec1475.jpg

Thanks for sharing! Thank you guys for your support. Like you said, this is part of the adventure, making good memories and great stories to share. [emoji1]

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Hey Trailboss, I know the next ride is James River. I looked at the route and it looks like the group will be crossing the mother of all crossing. There may need to be some discussion on this. It's either deep or slick depending on your line. What do you think?

I'll be doing the go around. It wouldn't be so bad with the smaller non electrical bikes, but I don't thing the Africa Twin would fair well in the dunking booth! lol

I'll be doing the go around. It wouldn't be so bad with the smaller non electrical bikes, but I don't thing the Africa Twin would fair well in the dunking booth! lol
It's not as big of a deal as its made out to be. I would do it on the at. Seen plenty of big bikes go through before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

And the water is shallow...

I wish I could join you. Haven't rode James river yet.
Unfortunately ACL falls on the same day.

A bunch of us did it in the spring. The shallow was super slick, but going a little deeper was fine. The only one who fell went shallow.

I highly recommend walking the whole thing before you ride it, so you know where to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The deep section looks like the way to go but it has caveats also. Every time I have been there the deep section was...deep. Risk falling in the shallow slick stuff or potentially fill up boots in the deep.

I'm going to pack my shop broom and sweep the shallow first. I may look funny with a broom sticking out the end of the bike, but oh well!

Just kidding

So, I'm planning on riding the DRZ this weekend. Is fuel going to be an issue? Should I plan on "accessorizing" with an extra gas can?

So, I'm planning on riding the DRZ this weekend. Is fuel going to be an issue? Should I plan on "accessorizing" with an extra gas can?

The route is a total of 233 miles (according to the GPS). Gas along the route is available in Johnson City, Mason, and Round Mountain.

I look forward to joining the ride this weekend.

Last edited:
I am going to try and make it. What is the best time and place to meet up in or around Johnson City?

I am going to try and make it. What is the best time and place to meet up in or around Johnson City?

If you have a gps, download the route and select a spot on the route to intersect the group.

If you don't have a gps, I suggest being at the intersection of Hwy 281 and Hwy 1323 at 9:00 am.

Back