• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LAB2V 2014

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do this since I started riding bicycles with motors a few years ago. I've gotten the go ahead, have already registered & have started planing out my trip.

Anyone else planning on heading out there this year?

:( Sadly - not this year for me. Maybe next if I can get a couple of things done.

Wildernessrider is going I believe.

Have you ridden in the Mojave? It's a pretty awesome place. The ride is pretty tough. Make sure you paint every fastener with Loctite before you go.

Be sure to get your hotel reservations now, don't wait or you'll be sleeping in the Ramada parking lot in Barstow.

Have a good time and if you have any logistical questions post them up. It seems best to trailer to LV and then ride into Palmdale, either by powerline road or if the bike is big enough the interstate. You're on the D37 forum as well, correct? It's a great resource. AMA District 37's organization is beyond belief and the vendor giveaways at the banquet are fantastic.

Have a good time!

I've already have nabbed a room at the Barstow Ramada. I'm planning on getting a room for two nights in Las Vegas so I can ride back to pick-up my truck with out having to lug too much gear around. Then I'll drive back get a good nights sleep before seeing how many personal endurance records I can break while driving home.

Not sure where to stay in Palmdale yet...

If the ride starts at the same bike shop as last year, there is a Holiday Inn just around the block where everyone stays the night before the ride. My son and I did this ride last year and had an enormous time! Hoping to go again this year, but not a certainty yet. The boy is still nursing a broken tibulla & fibula from a MX track mishap earlier this year, and funds are a bit tighter. Just in case, I will likely soon grab a room in Palmdale, Barstow, & Vegas. Basing yourself in Vegas is the way to go. Because my Dad lives near Palmdale, we did not keep our vehicle in Vegas last year. That Sunday after the ride it took us almost eleven hours to get back into Lancaster due to horrendous traffic jams all the way between LA & Vegas. I understand that this has become the norm for a Sunday afternoon. This year I will be leaving my truck in Vegas for sure. Just ride to Palmdale for the start.

In 2012 we spent a very cold night camping in Acton, near Palmdale, and left the rig at the KOA there while we rode to Barstow and LV. In 2013 we left the rig in the parking lot of the Orleans and rode to Barstow via dirt. There will be a number of people on the 37 forum looking for riding partners both for the ride before and the ride after. Like Donny said, the traffic is pretty bad on Sunday. The ride in on Thanksgiving day is a lot better.

There is a Thanksgiving dinner at the Palmdale Holiday Inn and Palmdale Supercycles stays open late the night before departure. Plan to get an alpine start. Day one starts with line standing before dawn.

I'm getting jealous just thinking about it.:angryfire

The hang up for me is how to get my gear bag to Palmdale if I park in Vegas. My plan was to get an early start Sunday (yeah, right) & take side roads if traffic gets bad. Is that a no-go?

It's a go. It just may not be the easiest. The side roads are mostly suitable for 4wd and plated dirt bikes. The fastest route back to Palmdale would be I15 despite the traffic though you might be able to go south and pick up I40. I can't comment on the traffic on I40, but where it meets I15 expect a backup. This is one of the side roads along side the interstate near Baker:

Baker.jpg

We went north up through Pahrump, across to Death Valley Junction, 190 to 375 and then down through the Panamints. From there we took 178 to Ridgecrest where ThrasherG had dropped his phone in the desert (he found it) and finally 14 to Palmdale. It was a great ride and until Ridgecrest the traffic was pretty non-existant. After Ridgecrest it was bumper to bumper on a dirt bike in the dark. Take lots of gas if going this route because after Death Valley, their is none until Trona.

Depending on the size of the gear bag you could see if someone could haul it for you (again D37 forum.) I just carried some extra skivvies and socks in a cantle bag and basically lived in the same clothes for four days.

Oh yea, plan for it to be in the 40s in the mornings.

The only real road alternative is a small highway that goes out to the North from Vegas, and makes its way back across the CA border, then eventually dumps you back into I-15 about 115 miles down range. As indirect as it may be, it's still quicker than the traffic line moves on I-15. Literally, Sunday commutes of up to 16 hours have been logged between 'Vegas & LA in the past year. It is a real issue, and should be avoided if at all possible. Meriden is right it will be cold in Palmdale that morning. Quite likely below freezing as it was last year. We rode in light falling snow now and again for the first couple of hours. I wonder if we couldn't ship our much needed gear & spares bag to the Palmdale Holiday Inn.

The hang up for me is how to get my gear bag to Palmdale if I park in Vegas. My plan was to get an early start Sunday (yeah, right) & take side roads if traffic gets bad. Is that a no-go?

You'll be wearing most of your gear. What you dont wear will fit in a large throw over bag. Your bike doesn't even need a strong subframe as you can strap it to rear portion of your seat. I used a Nomad Venture and Meriden used a Giant Loop Great Basin. Either of those holds more gear, spares and supplies than you need to haul for an overnight stay in Palmdale and Barstow. D37 sag wagon will transport the bag for you to Barstow and then on to LV.

Pre-ride off pavement start from LV to LA.

2013-11-27%2010.56.46_zpsbumgtf0s.jpg

_

The only real road alternative is a small highway that goes out to the North from Vegas, and makes its way back across the CA border, then eventually dumps you back into I-15

I wonder if we couldn't ship our much needed gear & spares bag to the Palmdale Holiday Inn.

That must be Old Spanish Trail Highway off of 190 (Pahrump Highway.) That meets 127 going south to Baker.

Since he won a battery, Rman and I shipped out winnings from the Orleans back to Fayette County. If you want to ship, and if the Holiday Inn won't let you ship to them, there are several UPS stores in the area. It might cost a few bucks more for them to accept the shipment and hold it. Nomads and Dirtbagz cost around $200 -$250 new. Wolfman has some options for under $200. Since I keep luggage on the bike all the time it made sense to buy. For one time use I'd consider shipping.

Like Silverbullet said, D37 will provide a trailer. They ask that you limit the size of your bag, but some of the riders were leaving some very large gear bags with them. I carried most of my stuff and sent a small bag carrying gear I would want if I was separated from the bike.

This is the stuff I needed to know! Nothing beats learning from someone else's experience...

Found a used Giant Loop Mojavi on ADV for a keep on the bike bag, anything else can go into a small backpack. I really wont need to bring that much with me.

It really sounds like the way to go is park in Vegas then ride to Palmdale, yall have convinced me.

Last edited:
Hotels have been reserved and I have a good mate I race bicycles with semi-committed to going with me. All the little thing are getting done to the bike. It's looking good!

Hey Meriden we been missing you at the Wed night prayer meetings. You doing alright? Silverbullet & I were scheming last night about how to get ourselves out West again this year for the LA-B-LV ride. We were kicking around the idea of using my truck with MX trailer. So I could haul up to 5 bikes, allowing some riders (like my son & possibly David) to fly in to LA for the ride, or fly home from 'Vegas on Sunday. Doing it this way could help take the sting out of fuel costs for me, and make it possible for those with limited time off to participate.

Hey Meriden we been missing you at the Wed night prayer meetings. You doing alright? Silverbullet & I were scheming last night about how to get ourselves out West again this year for the LA-B-LV ride. We were kicking around the idea of using my truck with MX trailer. So I could haul up to 5 bikes, allowing some riders (like my son & possibly David) to fly in to LA for the ride, or fly home from 'Vegas on Sunday. Doing it this way could help take the sting out of fuel costs for me, and make it possible for those with limited time off to participate.

Sorry to have missed. This MBA program is eating all my time. LAB2V is out for me this year but I've promised myself to do it next year if I can get the program finished in time. Right now I'm only six weeks up on the schedule and that's not good enough to be finished by next November.

It sounds like you have a plan, though. Getting the bikes out there is the big problem. If enough people were willing to participate it might even make sense to rent a bigger trailer in coming years. I'd be in for that and would be willing to make the pull. The wife's still not happy that I want to go back, but hey I have to do it.

Funny thing happened during the ET750. Us old guys called it a day after Onalaska and headed in to New Waverly to eat. We're standing in the parking lot and I get this crackly cell call from a 760 area code. It was the Barstow Ramada. Since I had ridden the past two years as an AMA member they wanted to know if I wanted another room before they booked them all. Go D37!

Back to the books. Heck, I wish I had books. I miss books.

Hotels have been reserved and I have a good mate I race bicycles with semi-committed to going with me. All the little thing are getting done to the bike. It's looking good!

Matt are you still going this year and your cycling buddy is still committed? Looks like wildernessrider might not be able to make it this year. I'm trying to see if there are any options available besides driving out solo if I do decide to return again this year.

_

I just got confirmation last Friday that I will be out on a tour and not able to ride the LA-B-Vegas this year. Sure hate to miss it. Undoubtably the best dual sport ride I have ever done. Maybe next year I can go again.

I just got confirmation last Friday that I will be out on a tour and not able to ride the LA-B-Vegas this year. Sure hate to miss it. Undoubtably the best dual sport ride I have ever done. Maybe next year I can go again.

Congratulations as I know that is good news for you. I would trade places with you in a heartbeat. Like you say there is always next year, just...Turn The Page. Not sure if this year will work out for me either now. Do you need to hire a lackey for the tour? I'm available on call basis and I travel for free.;-) If not say hello to all the members of my band, haha

_

Was there a hint in your post SB as to what Donnie is doing. Lol

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

If something changes I'll let you know, but Devin is committed to driving out there with me and doing LAB2V so my truck is going to be packed.

Hope you can find a ride, we cant be the only blokes going out there.

Matt are you still going this year and your cycling buddy is still committed? Looks like wildernessrider might not be able to make it this year. I'm trying to see if there are any options available besides driving out solo if I do decide to return again this year.

_

Back