• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 ET 500; OCT 10,11,12. RUSK Start

BADTEX

Reaction score
First Name
STEVEN
I have basically copied jqueen post for the South group because he has done an awesome job of listing what needs to be said.

Alright - This will be the planning thread for the North group riders, East Texas 500 mile dirt road loop. 3 days. I will update this post with GPS track, rider list, etc. If something needs to be added to this post, let me know.

This is not a sponsored or supported ride. As of right now there is no support vehicle, so we will need to carry our own tools and camping supplies. Anybody wants to volunteer a support vehicle and/or driver, let me know. Please ask your friends and family.

We will split into groups of 5-10 riders prior to departure (smaller groups are better). First and last person in each group needs to be able to follow the route, either by GPS or maps.

Try to be at Rusk KOA by 7 to 8AM, so that everybody can unload, gear up, split into groups, and be MOVING by 8:30AM on Friday from Rusk. I don't care if other groups leave early or wait later, but my group will be planning to be gone by 8:30AM, If not earlier if every one is there and ready to go.

Friday, October 10: KOA in Rusk, TX to Bean's VIP Campground, Milam, TX
Saturday, October 11: Bean's VIP Campground to Livingston, TX
Sunday, October 12: Livingston to Rusk KOA. We will be crossing paths with the South group on this day. We should all be on the right side of the road anyway, but we will know for sure that there will be opposing traffic on this day.

For some riders these are very easy days (150-200 miles per day). However, if there has been rain within the last few days, there will be delays. Also, if there hasn't been rain for weeks, there will be sand (couple of inches deep in spots). My pace isn't blistering, but I plan to have plenty of time to take a few 10 minute breaks and stop to sit down for lunch somewhere along the way. As long as I'm not riding in the dark, I don't care when I get to the campsite.

Remaining to do:
-Call Rusk KOA to make sure they have room for us. Please let me know if you plan to spend the night Thur 8-27. I plan on doing this.
-Call Bean's VIP Campground to make sure they have room for us. Again let me know if you plan on camping there.
-Find a place for camping in Livingston. Open for suggestions.

Please let us know if you are in or not as soon as you can. We don't need exact numbers, but we need to give Bean's a heads up on around how many people.

IN::rider:
BADTEX KTM 625 SXC
Wilderness rider
Clutchless
Jsb223 DRZ 400
Muff903
mtnbikeboy

PROBABLE:
Beararcher KLR 650
rz_racer_69 XR650L

OUT
Aanarchy KTM 690 Enduro - OUT
Doug KTM 500 - OUT
Garfey KLX 250 - out
BTweaver13 - out
texxter XR400r - out
Alpine357 - out

ALSO: Please check the South post for other great ideas and GPS trek
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1284637#post1284637

I am planning to do the ride, but not sure about camping due to no sag/gear transport. I don't have all the super slick ultra light camp gear that will fit on my extremely limited rack space. My back pack will be full with rain gear, spare tubes, spare clothes etc. So will have to locate hotel rooms where needed unless a sag driver happens to volunteer prior to the event. Then I will throw my oversize bedroll into the trailer, and camp. There are a couple of fishing piers with overnight camp & RV areas West of Livingston on Hwy 190 where it crosses the lake. I think at least one has showers and a restaurant, but being right along the highway, neither is anywhere near quiet and secluded like Beans is. Could be a last choice option if nothing better surfaces.

In, pls. :rider:
KLX250 (w/tires that don't run screaming for the nearest ditch/tree at the first hint of mud!)

I'll have a GPS and can provide 2 Zumo 550s if anyone needs one and has a Ram ball mounted somewhere and easy access to the battery (ring terminals on the mount power cords). I also have an Oregon 400 (AA batteries) that'll get you unlost should you find yourself in that situation but I don't think it'll take the tracks. If it will, I'll have it loaded, too. You'd also need a Ram ball for the Oregon mount.

Last edited:
In on a DRZ 400
Have the tracks from 2012 loaded on gps
Will need new ones if they have changed

I'm not sure yet if I can get three days off so I may just do a one or two day ride. Time will tell.

In on a DRZ 400
Have the tracks from 2012 loaded on gps
Will need new ones if they have changed

My understanding is that there were some changes. The 2014 track link is at the bottom of post #1 in the Livingston start thread.

Last edited:
In. DR650 and looking at new rubber for the ride. Not a big camper, so if anyone's interested in splitting motel costs, lemme know.

I also have zero inclination in mastering the art of tire & tube repair, so there's cash for whoever can render said skills, should they be called upon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In. DR650 and looking at new rubber for the ride. Not a big camper, so if anyone's interested in splitting motel costs, lemme know.

I also have zero inclination in mastering the art of tire & tube repair, so there's cash for whoever can render said skills, should they be called upon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My kind of rider, lol! I like staying in motels and a tire changer would be awesome!

I am 80% in.

'89 TA w/ K760 Rear(for sure) and TR8 frt most likely.

I do all my own tire swaps and will bring levers. As of yet I don't have a mini 12V pump.

I am planning on camping at KOA Thursday night.

My wife has tacitly agreed to drive chase. Only thing is, she is most likely starting a new job between now and then, so it will depend on her employer.

Also, we can provide a driver, but no vehicle (Donations to get my '73 Commando on the road?).

Don't laugh too hard. It just needs exhaust, a voltage regulator, and an air filter. It's been to Barnwell and back under its own power. 4 wheel drum brakes are great for towing, right? The 4bbl 304 combo may be a little hard on the fuel budget though.

I'm definitely in, with my buddy, Doug, who rode it with me last year. Looking forward to it again.

Only one I have handy.
4aqesy7e.jpg

Forgot to mention - I'll be on the 690 Enduro, Doug will be riding a KTM 500. FWIW

New battery for the DRZ installed last night along
with a new air filter.

Still might get tires before Oct.

Still working out the whole camping off a small bike
thing. My GS is usually loaded down pretty good.

Got camp and a few extras in a bag that weighs 14 lbs.

Still working out the whole camping off a small bike
thing. My GS is usually loaded down pretty good.

Got camp and a few extras in a bag that weighs 14 lbs.

You my not have too if mtnbikeboy comes thru for us. :trust:

I put on a new frt tire on 2-3 weeks ago. Just picked up my rear wheel from the shop where they mounted a rear one. I'll put it back on the bike this weekend.

Also just got a Sony Action Cam last night. :clap: Left it at home to charge.
I get to play with it tonight after I get home from work. :rider:

You my not have too if mtnbikeboy comes thru for us. :trust:

Believe me, I hoping he or someone else can come through.

:pray:

I know how much harder a loaded DRZ is to handle in the sand or
dare I say it mud.

Just in case, I got some racks mounted and two different luggage
options depending upon how much I may or may not have to carry.

GPS tracks updated in the Livingston thread (first post): http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97356

Since I am in the Livingston group, the tracks go that direction. The 1st and last sections are basically to get from Livingston to Moscow. If you guys plan to camp near Moscow, you may not want to do those two sections. You should be able to see the tracks here if you don't do GPS (although I think it is temporary): http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/20140901165602-84182-map.html

I also made some suggested tracks for a support vehicle that hit all the gas stops but not the dirt roads.

Thanks for the updates...

FYI the updated file had user color information saved in the file I had to
strip out to get it to upload to my ancient monochrome GPS.

But now I know how to do that as well.

You learn something new here everyday.

:mrgreen:

Out of curiosity, how do you strip it out? Just set them all to black? I use an iphone with MotionX-GPS.. It accepts the files, but it doesn't keep the color information.

Back