• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hi

I think with a 2500 you might actually have a little more room to play with but I am not sure what the load limit is on the 3/4 ton. They usually recommend the tongue weight being no more than 10 % of the max load

You're right it's at least 500. Truck is a 2500 w tow pkg so its got the III or IV class hitch, can't remember. I just didn't want to quote a number up there and it be off. I'll look next time I'm laying on the floor.

I'm no expert, but you should be good. I've seen smaller vehicles with larger bikes on them. Not that their success is any indication of your success. :trust:

I remember one time I tried loading my Hornet on my Nissan Frontier using a steel single rail bike hauler. I test drove it around the block and I know it didn't actually happen but the front end was so light that the steering felt really poor so I just came home and took it off, reloaded the bike in the back, and sold the hauler. Now days I have the DR650 and I am a little tempted to try that out again but I don;t have the hauler and I think it would be a little too close to the limit. Makes me wish my old Ram 1500 with the Hemi a little more, lol. I have a ramp and a system for hauling bikes now but it would be nice to have a way to haul bikes without having to take the tonnue cover and what not.

lol Cool will keep that in mind, thanks.

Wouldn't trade my truck in for nothing, I love my big girl. She's tall, unlike her owner. I'd be cool if she had a hydraulic kit so I could lower all the way to the ground, load my stuff in and then raise up and take off.

Edit: There's no way the front end will get off the ground with this truck (if it does I've had a real bad day). It's 4500lbs up there according to the CAT scale lol rear axle is at 2700lbs. Any leverage in the back just increases the ride comfort lol

BTW, here's the jack used by the hauler: http://www.affjaxx.com/bottle-jack-p-122.html

I looked yesterday and couldn't find a 2T locally that would fit. They were almost an inch too tall which would be an issue in the collapsed position. I might go back and grab one anyway, try it out enough to get the bike to the shop real quick (I'll fight with it for one trip), they're cheap like $13. But I did order one of the AFFs from toolsource online. Least I'd have the stock replacement on the way and here hopefully next week if I drag my feet.

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to wonder if you could not find some kind of electric servo setup, sort of what they use for the step gaurds that automatically lower on some of the new SUV's and trucks. Nothing makes it easy like pushing a button!!!

A powered setup would be cool. But knowing me it's a rabbit hole I don't need to dive into lol

I used to use that hauler all the time with my 250lb Husaberg on my 06' Tundra with no problems. I always considered that era of Tundras a 3/8 ton truck so I know that 2500 of yours should have no issues even with an added piece.

You'll be fine. I'm using that same hitch hauler with a DR200, KTM300 and in a pinch a 365 lb X Chalenge. My old Gen II Explorer looks pitiful with the bigger bike, but it handles it okay. One trick I picked up from ThrasherG is to get a trailer light set and mount it on a board to hang behind the bike. It'll give you a little more visibility.

You read my mind about putting an additional light on the hauler. Maybe a magnetic one so I can pull it out of the way.

Back