• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[RESOLVED] Stranded in Kerrville - Monday evening, Dec 11, 2017

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Hall
My friend and soon to be new TWT member DucDogers is showing chords on his rear tire. If anyone can help he needs a trailer lift back to Austin. Dave can be reached at 512.XXX.XXXX.

We did the San Saba Meet & Greet & Eat on Sunday and then continued down to Kerrville to do the Three Sisters. After the ride today he noticed the problem with his rear tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Stranded in Kerrville - Monday evening, Dec 11, 2017

Greg, have you tried looking for motorcycle shops in town?

I coulda just walked over to your room, but I'm comfy in my chair.

try LOST SOULS moto repair he may have a tire. good luck

Thanks. Will also try Destination Cycles when they open in the morning.

What bike and what size tire you might get lucky and instead of trailering home be able to get a tire put on

If my wife had not just come home sick I wouldn’t mind making the trip and Martin on a tire but I’m afraid I can’t do that for two days now
My friend and soon to be new TWT member DucDogers is showing chords on his rear tire. If anyone can help he needs a trailer lift back to Austin. Dave can be reached at 512.461.6142

We did the San Saba Meet & Greet & Eat on Sunday and then continued down to Kerrville to do the Three Sisters. After the ride today he noticed the problem with his rear tire.

Greg, I've got Wednesday off and could run down. But my co-worker is out tomorrow so I'm an army of one at the office and can't get away tomorrow.

Why not ride it slow to Austin ????

I had the same thing happen to me on my way back from LV a couple years ago.
In Holbrook Az my buddy pointed out that cord was showing almost all the way around rear tire.No option but to slowly ride 250 miles to Albuquerque (60-70).Due to cold weather almost no further wear on rear tire.Good luck! I did Pray a lot however!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would pm MR2much and get him to give me a slow route and make the day out of it. Knowing him , he could probably keep you on roads less than 45 mph the whole way. LOL.

Last edited:

Problem solved yet?

I would pm MR2much and get him to give me a slow route and make the day out of it. Knowing him , he could probably keep you on roads less than 45 mph the whole way. LOL.
Although I have limped back on a thin tire before.... In this case Destination Cycles is a better choice I think

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

You are correct sir , unless your a ******** like me and have a tire waiting at home to mount yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for all the replies and offers of assistance. We determined that there was just enough tread left and were able to limp the 90 miles back to Austin without incident.

Would a moderator please mark this problem as having been resolved.

Managed to ride it back to Austin. Greg and Dave left Mopac at Koenig and I rode on to Round Rock. There were no signs of additional tire wear, as we took it slow on the way home. Greg may have more info. Other than that, we had a blast on this trip.

Thanks for all the replies and offers of assistance. We determined that there was just enough tread left and were able to limp the 90 miles back to Austin without incident.

Would a moderator please mark this problem as having been resolved.

Dang, I got up to flip the record and you posted!

If you ever have that issue again lower the air pressure by about a third of what is recommended and take it easy , you can get another couple hundred miles out of it by making the contact point a lot broader .

Now that this is resolved, a question: wasn't there a way to determine that the tire was too tired (pun intended) before this short trip even began?

I've seen riders leave Texas for Panama and stop in Mexico posting up where to find a tire(s) for their bike. Isn't checking tread life part of the pre-ride ritual?

I'm not ragging on the rider here, but I am posting up for the general audience who might want to avoid getting into a similar jam requiring assistance and/or rescue.

Context might be everything here - I'm not sure if the rider was returning from a long distance epic trip and "limping home". Perhaps it was a type of tire where determining tread life is difficult.

I'd be interested in the lesson learned here. :pirate:

yep, tores are portant. ya ain't got but too an ya need em bofe mose of the time. that's what an old man told me once upon a time.

Now that this is resolved, a question: wasn't there a way to determine that the tire was too tired (pun intended) before this short trip even began?

I've seen riders leave Texas for Panama and stop in Mexico posting up where to find a tire(s) for their bike. Isn't checking tread life part of the pre-ride ritual?

I'm not ragging on the rider here, but I am posting up for the general audience who might want to avoid getting into a similar jam requiring assistance and/or rescue.

Context might be everything here - I'm not sure if the rider was returning from a long distance epic trip and "limping home". Perhaps it was a type of tire where determining tread life is difficult.

I'd be interested in the lesson learned here. :pirate:

I have seen tires go from looking fine to crap in one day of riding. It seems that some tires degrade rather quickly at a certain point. I am sure it also depends on the type of riding, road surfaces, etc,... For any multi day trip that I do, I usually mount new tires just to be sure. It is cheap insurance for the trip. If the old tires have any life left, I just hang on to them as spares, for me or anyone else I might be able to help.

yep, tores are portant. ya ain't got but too an ya need em bofe mose of the time. that's what an old man told me once upon a time.
72427eeee1b99925adc130ffee529c46.png

I'm sure this is with straight street rubber. I can't imagine that happening with knobbies - built in gradient wear indicators.

Yes.

However, I have seen the same thing with some of the Big Block DS tires. Even TKC 80s are kind of like old Ford fuel level gauges sometimes... Fine... Fine... Fine... EMPTY!

Back