• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What causes this? (pic)

Swagfu

Reaction score
This is from a motorcycle in Wisconsin that I am considering. The bike is a 93 CBR1000f with only 2700 original miles. I live in Florida and would have to have it shipped so I can't examine it myself and only have pics to go off of. My thought would that road salt could cause it, but I am not sure. And, could it be fixed?

20170626_134801_zpso2rtw74b.jpg

Looks like brake fluid leak.

Battery acid? Going back to 93 it probably had a wet battery in it at some time. Maybe ask for pic of the battery box to confirm.

Thanks guys,. I hadn't thought of any of those possibilities. Is it something that can be fixed pretty easily, or does look like an expensive deal?

If it's brake fluid, it's cosmetic. Brake fluid eats paint. Shouldn't cause any structural concerns. Make sure the leak is fixed, sand, prime and paint with a rattle can.

Or ... don't worry about.

Rusty chain, acid from a battery or good old salt corrosion. It looks like it ate into metal or the seller did not clean the bike for the sale pictures.

It better be a steal of a deal because by the time you pay shipping and deal with all of that...

Could be road salt, but from the white corrosion around the metal, I would suspect battery acid. If it's not too far gone, a little scrubbing with baking soda and water should clean it up and neutralize the corrosion.

Here's a couple pics of the rest of the bike. Looks like it was under some type of cover for a while as there are a bunch of scratches on it. Not a deal killer just due to the original miles. 2700 miles in 24 years??? Not many at all. I do know the tires are new and the bike has been completely serviced with all new fluids by the dealership.

20170626_134909_zpspb1nqqmz.jpg

20170626_134840_zpsjhuedgkk.jpg

20170626_134831_zpssiqxhizf.jpg

20170626_134809_zpsvxi9ckw3.jpg

594b4dbc332c997d3c3aa7c3_zps3fzaywhu.jpg

I am also looking at a 1990 cbr1000f that is about 2 hours from me. Much closer and no shipping, but also about 24000 miles. I will be seeing that one in person on Thursday if the sellers schedule works with mine. The 93 is just appealing with the low miles. Being close is a major plus though. Here's a couple pics of that one.
00A0A_7MMmwkws8nU_1200x900_zpslym4mylf.jpg

IMAG4231_zpsld0ehcor.jpg

I'd be more inclined to go with the local bike. Not only does that allow you to scope it out in person, but the additional miles are a good thing in my book. That one with less than 3K miles in all those years has done a lot of sitting. That's never good for a bike.

I'd be more inclined to go with the local bike. Not only does that allow you to scope it out in person, but the additional miles are a good thing in my book. That one with less than 3K miles in all those years has done a lot of sitting. That's never good for a bike.

That is definitely a debate in my head too. Seeing what you're getting in person really makes a difference.

24k on an old Honda shouldn't matter, especially if they changed oil, adjusted valves. That still isn't a lot of miles on a 25 yr old bike, but it had been ridden, I would prefer that one as well.

why would battery acid leak? charging system may be defective,boiling acid. what other damage is not being seen,like under the plastic. old bike, no mileage due to sitting and not running,condensation in oil. again acids(from combustion). gaskets dried out. rubber parts in suspension dry rotted.
brake fluid leak. why?
wheel bearings dry, rusted? steering head bearings,seized calipers.
I know this a lot of doom and gloom,but there won't be any take backs on this one.
good luck.:giveup:

Here's a couple pics of the rest of the bike. Looks like it was under some type of cover for a while as there are a bunch of scratches on it. Not a deal killer just due to the original miles. 2700 miles in 24 years??? Not many at all. I do know the tires are new and the bike has been completely serviced with all new fluids by the dealership.

20170626_134909_zpspb1nqqmz.jpg

20170626_134840_zpsjhuedgkk.jpg

20170626_134831_zpssiqxhizf.jpg

20170626_134809_zpsvxi9ckw3.jpg

594b4dbc332c997d3c3aa7c3_zps3fzaywhu.jpg
looking at the second picture, there are stains on the swing arm, i would think the battery leaked from the TRICKLE charger being to hot. (notice battery tender cord)

I passed on the black bike and purchased the white one. Its not perfect but close enough for me.

batteries can swell and put off acid when they age and perish. It just depends on the type of battery and such things. It's a chance that with only 2400 miles it sat and the battery kicked the bucket several times over and there's a good chance at least one of those times the battery probably got SWOLT!!!! ;-)

And since it's a Florida bike, the sides of the tires will be pristine!:rofl:

No doubt about that. But the previous owner put new tires on front and back about a month before he sold it. But on the bike I sold, the sides looked awesome...lol

Back