• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's your most and least favorite smell while riding?

wabbit

Reaction score
Since we are out in the elements on our bikes we take in a lot more than cagers.

My personal favortie smell is a Laundromat (OR Washeteria in Texas)
My least favorite so far is a large Chicken Coop. (I think skunks smell better than a chicken coop.)

My favortie smell is cow manure :brainsnap (City Slicker)
My least favorite is smokin clutch :shame: (Think single-plate dry clutch)

least favorite: well wabbit, that should be an easy one since you recently returned from arkansas. the chicken farms / processing plant in arkansas are pretty bad. as much as i love arkansas roads, that chicken farm smell stays in my nostrils for several weeks after returning from a trip.

favorite: the smell of cheap perfume as i'm cruising down lemmon ave on a saturday night.

gw

Well, my favorite is just not smelling the inside of a car and being able to smell the trees and flowers.

Right now, my least favorite is burning oil. But that's because the DRZ has sprung a minor leak. I'll go with several day old road kill as my number two choice.

I've got one smell that might hit both categories. I ride home through Kemah every night and can smell all the restaurants. For those that don't know the area, Kemah has a boardwalk filled with a couple dozen theme restaurants. I get a good sample of everything on the ride, burgers to sea food. The other night I could smell an onion blossom and that got me to drooling. The food usually smells good, downside is I arrive home hungry and I'm not a great cook.

Favorite: Mrs. Johnson's Donuts on Airport Blvd on my way into work at 06:00 (time to make the donuts).

Least favorite: Mt. Trashmore out on Hwy 290 E. ( city dump, constant methane smell being vented from the ground)

Nothing can top the stench from those pig farms that keep the pigs inside. That will knock you off your bike. The best, has to be Van Nuys, California. Almost side by side is the Budweiser plant and a Nabisco Keebler Cookie factory. A ride past that will cause your eyes to spin.
:chug:

I second the pig farm vote (followed closely by skunk and the Mushroom farm) for least favorite smells. Favorite would be Krispy Kreme and then freshly turned dirt. While not on a bike I love the smell of a motorcyle dealership/shop :twisted:

I'll third the pig farm choice as worst smell. There's a prison-run pig farm on FM 980 between Huntsville and Riverside that gags me every time I've ever ridden by there. Thankfully it only takes a few moments to get past it. A close second would be the mushroom farm on Hwy 75 just south of Madisonville. I don't know what they use to grow those things in, but it's some foul stuff!
:puke:

Best smell would be the aroma of a field of bluebonnets or mountain laurel in bloom. Ahhhh...! 8-)

Smells

I love the smell of fresh cut grass and freshly plowed dirt. Going through the forests, I love almost all of the smells. When it's shady, the fragrances just seem to come out more.

Worst smells - Cresote; fresh black top; road kill; rendering plants; gelatin plants; and yes pig farms..........

Pig Farms

I had my share when I was on field assignment in Sioux City, Iowa. The other white meat there is chicken.....They actually have pig poop cannons that they would use to move the poop from the pens. Yea I know it sounds far fetched but it's so true.....

Least favorite (aside from a funny smell emanating from my bike) is either a rendering plant or a wet sheep field.

Most favorite is probably fresh cut grass or pine forest.

Bun

best - the smell of fresh bread from the Mrs. Bairds' place on Central in Dallas (long gone now).

worst - this wasn't on a bike but in a non-AC VW Campmobile - coming down out of King's Canyon Nat Park toward Fresno and got behind a slow moving truck full of onions...

(the pig stuff has got to be worse, though)

Best smells: Fresh cut grass, pine forest, Krispy Kreme, new leather, cologne on the man I'm riding passenger behind...

Worst smells: Diesel exhaust fumes, skunk, pig/chicken farms, city smog.

Fresh mown hay field - yummy!

The smell of "Sheep S$&t" road has to be expereinced to truly understand...I'm sure the pig farms are close, but "SS" road runs between two sheep farms. If it's rained and it's hot, you taste the stentch! :shock:

Nico said:
Least favorite (aside from a funny smell emanating from my bike) is either a rendering plant or a wet sheep field.

I've noticed that burping in a full face helmet is not good.

Fave smell: When the bluebonnets are at the peak of blooming. Fresh mowed fields. Spent racing gas :twisted:

Worst smell: On the ETBB, we went by some fish farm that smelled like dead fish and livestock all in one shot. That and dead skunks. Run over one of them and the funk never leaves. :help:

favorite is fresh cut grass and the worst is a tossup between a chemical plant/refinery and a pig farm

Favorite: Cedar in the summer.

Least fav: Roadkill... in the summer :puke:

Like and Dislike

That's easy,

MOST Favorite: Pine Tree's and the air right after a rain, also the ocean, honey suckle and fresh-cut grass

Least favorite: Stinkin' cigarettes, cigars and diesel fumes

David
8-)

Back