• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Making our way back to Texas from the west

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
So it turns out I need to make a trip out to California for a few days and thought, heck why not tow the trailer with a couple of bikes in it and take a week or more to wonder back to Texas. I am taking both the Africa Twin and the Husky along with the my better half. The AT will be more for two up dual sport adventuring.

To that end I am starting to think about must see places to see and ride on the way back. I just bumped into a youtube video of some guys dual sport riding from the Mt Trumbull Schoolhouse (Arizona) to the Grand Canyon that looked like a great way to start this trip. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6tiGE5XIis"]Dual Sport Adventure to the Grand Canyon - YouTube[/ame]

I am looking for any other suggestions, recomendations or out right must see and do advice.

The broad brush strokes are to come up from Vegas area and head into Utah then into Colorodo. Looks like heading towards Grand Staircase - Escalante, Glenn Canyon, Canyonlands National Park, into the San Juan National Forest to Durango. From there we will kick for home.

Note: This will be in my nice comfy Duramax with the enclosed trailer full of bikes, clothes and gear. We will be staying in hotels the entire trip, not a camping trip.

Look forward to the deluge of input, any GPS files are welcomed too. In the past I have found once you start a trip there is very little time to play with GPS files, so I want to try and get this together asap.

Oh yea, it looks like I may be heading out to CA as soon as this weekend ...

Thanks, Mike

Motels try the Branding Iron in Chama,New Mexico. Note:huge parking lot. Do the Cumbres and Toltec train ride while there. Eat breakfast at Finas and dinner at High Country.
http://cumbrestoltec.com/

Gunnison,Colorado use the Long Holiday motel and eat breakfast at the W cafe and a steak dinner across the street at Ol miner steakhouse.

The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is very nice but not like the Grand canyon.

North Clear creek waterfalls off 149 is a good spot for a few pics.

In Durango catch Serious Texas bbq.

Roads CO50,550,92,114,149,160.

In New Mexico the Enchanted loop38 is neat and cool temps. NM64,434,518,etc. Albuquerque stop at The Owl cafe for a award winning green chili burger. Old town is sweet if you are shopping for turquoise.

Last edited:
Kubota...careful of those late night swims on your vacation
1368699625_2.jpg

If you can make it to Moab then take the AT around the LaSal mountains via the Utah bdr track. It's a unique area and a great trail. From Moab head due east to Ridgeway. The topographic transition within that 150 miles is amazing. From Ridgeway you can work your way down to Durango any number of ways. Looking at the fire map shows the Hermosa Creek road area may not work. Of course you can leave Ouray and go up Corkscrew over to Silverton and then down to Durango via the Jeep trails. Enjoy!

Excited to get back to CO

Last edited:
I watched the video you linked and now I want to take the route they did to the Grand Canyon. Maybe in 2019 I can try that. Time and money, things most of us need more of.

AZ Central and East...Grand Canyon of course, Behringer Crater in Meteor City, AZ. Winslow, AZ for The Eagles song and tacos. Plus cool pic in front of the singers statue 'standing on the corner'.

Utah...Must see Zion NP and stay overnight at The Driftwood Lodge in Springdale, Devil's Highway through Escalante, Fruita for some pie in Capital Reef NP if you make it that north. Great place to stay overnight in

Colorado...basically can't mess up if you're in the San Juans.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back