• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

10th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 7/30-8/3/18 Cloudcroft, New Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought our last cabins where fabulous :rider:

The company was great the cabins were way better than the hotel room.

Vinny are you going this year? We should talk . . .

My wife might go, hence the nicer digs question

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The company was great the cabins were way better than the hotel room.

Vinny are you going this year? We should talk . . .

My wife might go, hence the nicer digs question

I normally stay in the Weed/Sacramento area when I'm up there, but that's probably further than you want to be from Cloudcroft. Camp of the tall pines in weed has cabins and Sacramento Methodist campground has a few cabins and their newer dormitories are nice and hotel like. I did a vrbo search for cloudcroft and there's a lot available. I may rent one of those on our next family trip.

https://www.vrbo.com/results?q=Cloudcroft,+NM,+USA&to-date=&from-date=&uuid=

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Planning on taking my 15 year old son and trailering around Cloudcroft to get to the trails that don't require plated bikes. Any "must do" OHV trails that you recommend? Son and I will probably stick to the moderate difficulty roads and trails.

Last edited:
I am going to make this, but I would like to find something a bit, how shall I say, nicer to stay in.

I have been to the hotel once and the cabins once, are there many other choices?

No I am not trying to sound snooty, just looking at options :)

The Lodge is nice.

Planning on taking my 15 year old son and trailering around Cloudcroft to get to the trails that don't require plated bikes. Any "must do" OHV trails that you recommend? Son and I will probably stick to the moderate difficulty roads and trails.

If you stay on dirt, you just need a nm ohv sticker. You can purchase a 3 month permit.

New Mexico Non-Resident Fee Exceptions

*** With the passage of SB 379, the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle (OHV) law changed the requirements of non-residents who need to purchase a non-resident permit. The new law now recognizes a non-resident operating an OHV is in compliance with New Mexico if that person: is currently in compliance with another state’s off-highway vehicle registration, user fee or similar law or rule demonstrated by certificate of registration, permit or similar evidence…(66-3-1004.C NMSA 1978).

We trailered out to the trail heads each day the first three years. Lots of spots to park that will connect up to lots of riding. Such parking area 1 for the Rim Trail on the Sunspot Hwy, FSR223 and Alamo Peak Rd off the Sunspot Hwy.

You could even park on Burro Ave, and to be legal push your bike a short distance to the Pines Trail (T568) to connect to Pines North Trail (T5688) for more two track and some ATV trails north of town or the dirt route down to the West Side Road.

Sacramento Ranger District (Cloudcroft area) Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM)

New Mexico Non-Resident Fee Exceptions

*** With the passage of SB 379, the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle (OHV) law changed the requirements of non-residents who need to purchase a non-resident permit. The new law now recognizes a non-resident operating an OHV is in compliance with New Mexico if that person: is currently in compliance with another state’s off-highway vehicle registration, user fee or similar law or rule demonstrated by certificate of registration, permit or similar evidence…(66-3-1004.C NMSA 1978).

We trailered out to the trail heads each day the first three years. Lots of spots to park that will connect up to lots of riding. Such parking area 1 for the Rim Trail on the Sunspot Hwy, FSR223 and Alamo Peak Rd off the Sunspot Hwy.

You could even park on Burro Ave, and to be legal push your bike a short distance to the Pines Trail (T568) to connect to Pines North Trail (T5688) for more two track and some ATV trails north of town or the dirt route down to the West Side Road.

Sacramento Ranger District (Cloudcroft area) Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM)

Great info! Thanks. Will get Texas OHV stickers and hit the spots you listed. Both the kid and I are excited to ride in NM and meet you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to make this, but I would like to find something a bit, how shall I say, nicer to stay in.

I have been to the hotel once and the cabins once, are there many other choices?

No I am not trying to sound snooty, just looking at options :)

Hi Mike, three years ago, five of us rented this place for 5 days. Look around at this and other cabins available on Amigo's site.

http://www.amigorealtyllc.com/c/Day-Cabin

Lot of Campgrounds in the Area, Any recommendations? would like to get a site reserved for this trip. Thanks!

Sander...On the days your wife goes riding, you mentioned staying on Jeep roads and such. How many miles does that type trip entail?
My wife rides a greatly shortened 200 2 stroke but i'd be worried about mileage. Although I think it would not be a problem I was just wondering.
Thanks

My wife rides a plated plated Yamaha TTR125L with the stock tank, she has never had to switch to reserve. We average about 60 miles per day, I think my group has only broken 100 miles in a day a couple of times when just riding around Cloudcroft. We wander around out in the woods until mid-afternoon then plan a route back in to town. For me 60 miles of dual sporting equals 200-250 of adventure riding.

There is gas available in of course Cloudcroft, but also Weed, High Rolls, Mayhill and Pinion.

37594980042_37953eae82_b.jpg
DSC01976 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

Last edited:
My wife rides a plated plated Yamaha TTR125L with the stock tank, she has never had to switch to reserve. We average about 60 miles per day, I think my group has only broken 100 miles in a day a couple of times when just riding around Cloudcroft. We wander around out in the woods until mid-afternoon then plan a route back in to town. For me 60 miles of dual sporting equals 200-250 of adventure riding.

There is gas available in of course Cloudcroft, but also Weed, High Rolls, Mayhill and Pinion.

37594980042_37953eae82_b.jpg
DSC01976 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

This picture may be exactly what I need to talk my wife into going and riding her TDub. She goes kind of slow but I think she would enjoy the scenery as long as we stick to double track. 60 mile rides sound like my cup of tea as well specially on a smaller bike.

Im not sure if we can make it

We just ordered his and hers Radrover electric bicycles

4in fat tires!!!

Interesting. I like the concept of this as far as well get together at a given time and meet up to ride. Not an organized rally, but just a group that comes together at an agreed upon time and place. Gonna try to see if I can make this one.

Lot of Campgrounds in the Area, Any recommendations? would like to get a site reserved for this trip. Thanks!

Getting a reservation is a good idea. Summer is probably busy up there. Late July is the early part of the monsoon season I think, so the desire to camp in the afternoon rain is an requirement.

There are many national forest campgrounds in that area. Or there used to be. I haven't been there in a few years.

Last edited:
Any big bikes going? I would be interested if there are. I am on an africa twin and don't want to do difficult single tracks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Any big bikes going? I would be interested if there are. I am on an africa twin and don't want to do difficult single tracks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There are many twisty paved roads and quite a few gravel roads as well in that area of New Mexico. I'm not sure what bikes I'll even own by then or which of them will be operational. So I might bring the big GS. No guarantees. :trust:

BBJ there are a lot of great forest roads that out there. We rode several hundred miles there and barely scratched the surface plenty of fun to be had on and off road on a big bike. One of my riding partners was on GS800 and he went everywhere we went. I would really like to go this year but I am not sure I am going to make it. We are doing the NMBDR in early June and my son will be gone during this years event. I am sure i am going to be way behind on work and I'm not sure Ill catch up in time.

Well, well...I am in Mayhill, New Mexico for the weekend with Jazzy Gina. I was sitting at lunch today and the park ranger mentioned that due to the extreme drought conditions, they may close all FR trails to motorized vehicles including hikers by May 12 if they do not receive significant rain.

RB

20180421_133259-L.jpg

Well, well...I am in Mayhill, New Mexico for the weekend with Jazzy Gina. I was sitting at lunch today and the park ranger mentioned that due to the extreme drought conditions, they may close all FR trails to motorized vehicles including hikers by May 12 if they do not receive significant rain.

RB

20180421_133259-L.jpg

Aaagghh!! Say it isn't so. I was worried about that because of the drought. Let's hope they get some rain pronto.

That isn't uncommon before the monsoon season hits.

Spring is the windy season. These high winds dry the forest to the point of extreme fire danger. Fire is a constant threat in the Lincoln National Forest. The fire season usually starts in March or April and continues through mid-July. If the fire danger becomes too high, open fires may be prohibited, and forest areas and roads may be closed. The rainy season begins in July and continues through September, helping to end the immediate fire threat.

I saw that they issued stage one restrictions already. Since 2010 they have only closed the fire roads once that I'm aware of. Hopefully it won't happen this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back