• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dallas/Denton doohickey

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations to get the Doo done on an 06 KLR. I have the parts, just a bit nervous to tear into it with nothing but YouTube knowledge.

Any help appreciated.

Hot diggity dog

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Looking for recommendations to get the Doo done on an 06 KLR. I have the parts, just a bit nervous to tear into it with nothing but YouTube knowledge.

Any help appreciated.

Hot diggity dog

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

I am in Jacksboro. I have the wrench and puller. It isn't really hard to do. Be sure you have a gasket available.

I am pretty tied up for the next few weekends. But if you don't get a closer offer, I have a place where I work on my bikes that is warm and cool, depending on what is needed!

My 2011 (Gen 2) spring was in pieces at 15k miles. My riding buddy's Gen 1 was intact, and looked good at 26k miles. We both did the torsion spring doo mod.

I was just discussing with the Little General, found out a mutual friend with a Gen 1 had done his doo, the spring had failed again at 4X,XXX miles. He found out during a routine oil change. It was upgraded to the torsion (clock spring) and reassembled.

Let me know if I can help. I would recommend hauling in, in case of unforeseen problems.

Craig

Did you get this done? I did my 87 about 11 years ago but I still have the tools and I'm happy to help if you need it. I'm in Denton

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I did the doo on my '08 two days ago. It's very straightforward. I took the laptop into the shop and used these two UM links and they were all the instructions needed.

http://www.leftcoastklrs.com/balancer_lever_upgrade.htm

http://www.leftcoastklrs.com/Install_a_torsion_spring.htm

Took me 4 hours going very slow and referring to the instructions again and again. Now that I've done one I think it would be a 2 hour job. Just doo it, you'll be glad you did. BTW, if you need the tools let me know and I'll send 'em out.

Last edited:
If you're looking for an independent shop to do some work for you Monkey Wrench Cycles in Arlington would be my suggestion. He's (Frank) done work on bikes for me before when I either lacked the time, facilities or had broken bones and came thought in a reasonable time frame at a reasonable price and did good work.

I'd say come out to Greenville an I'd lend a hand but I sold my KLR 8 years ago and don't have any of the tools to "do the doo".

http://www.monkeywrenchmotorcycles.com/

You still need this done? Or help doing it yourself?
Did my 07 last year and just did a buddy's 15 a couple of weeks ago. Simple and only took a couple of hours (with some beer time) Just have to make sure you have everything you need. Gaskets and I would highly recommend putting in the torsion spring as well and since you are in there do a quick oil change too.
I'm just west of you in Decatur.

Back