• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Moving to San Antonio Fall of 18'...

I too am moving to Boerne in two weeks for a new job at Alamo BMW. If it is not to late you want to ride Furka Pass from Glitch to Brig. I was stationed in Heidelberg for three years and miss the riding there. Simplon pass into Italy was also an amazing ride. There is what looks like a fun ride first weekend in November out of Johnson City first weekend in November. I will be doing the Sunday portion of it.

Does that mean you get to work on my bike when I bring it in after another ~3.8k miles? Alamo BMW is where my bike was released into the Wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is dispatched to me, then yes I will. Look forward to meeting y’all when I get there. It will be nice to be back in Texas.

Lots of German influence in the hill country. I hope the stay in Texas will be a good one. I'm sure you will find all sorts of things to like and some not to, but overall its a great state to be in.

I too am moving to Boerne in two weeks for a new job at Alamo BMW. If it is not to late you want to ride Furka Pass from Glitch to Brig. I was stationed in Heidelberg for three years and miss the riding there. Simplon pass into Italy was also an amazing ride. There is what looks like a fun ride first weekend in November out of Johnson City first weekend in November. I will be doing the Sunday portion of it.

Just got back from Switzerland - and have been going to Switzerland, Austria and Italy (some in France also) to cover the major passes over the past 4-5 years...

Rode some odd passes and/or lesser known last month: Klausen and an offshoot of Grimsel Pass called Oberaar Pass which most people miss as you have to wait for certain times of the hour to ride to and from.

Thanks for the heads up on the passes, some riders here never go to Switzerland or Italy, which is crazy to me, and hope you get back someday! Also, I'll keep an eye on things here in the forums for future rides, meet and greets etc.

Hope to meet up someday!

Erik

43852145285_0effc31e0d_k.jpg

29824593417_ec693c0bfe_k.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the "hello's" and guidance. Really looking forward to meeting and riding with some if not all of you.

It's been a hot summer here in Europe so the transition to Texas shouldn't be too bad.

Again, thanks!

Erik

Welcome Bitte. A nice gathering spot just south of downtown San Antonio is Beethoven's, where as a "member" you get to leave your personal stein behind the bar for daily / weekly use. As a 7th generation Texan-German (on both sides, my dad tells me), and subscriber to things German, you'll find a large German community in the hills north, east, and west of San Antonio. Also a great riding area.

When Texas starts to lose it's charm come to Mexico with us. Your BMW is begging for more battle scars. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115969

This Mexico ride is exactly what I am up for (and of course Beethoven's!)...

Just am catching up on the Texas forum as I/we have been on the road.

Thanks for sharing this and I'll be on the lookout for these type of rides in the future. Mexico, South America, am pretty much up for anything. My 2018 Europe to South Africa was of course put on hold with a bad accident and us finding out we are leaving this fall/winter. So, anything south of the Texas border I am up for...

Erik

I don't know what German brisket is, but can I sign up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Finally made it to San Antonio. Have joined the local BMW Club (SABMW Riders Assc.) and not sure about the Lone Star Club as it looks like it's in Dallas? No matter what, got the bike back together and look forward to riding with some of you over the next three years or so. Please feel free to drop me a note and just wanted to thank everyone one last time from here for the warm welcome.

Erik

Priorities got interrupted for moving our entire home from Germany once the bike was unloaded!!!

Again, thanks for the warm reception everyone!

Erik

We will have that rear tire worn down in no time.

Challenge accepted! I have three more sets of the old Mitas E-07's sitting in the garage...shame they "upgraded" to the E-07+ as I have been reading on advrider.com and the reviews are not nearly as good as the originals. I bought three sets before I left Europe but might use sparingly and throw on some tires that are more road orientated since I am not sure where to go for "off roading/trail riding".

Challenge accepted! I have three more sets of the old Mitas E-07's sitting in the garage...shame they "upgraded" to the E-07+ as I have been reading on advrider.com and the reviews are not nearly as good as the originals. I bought three sets before I left Europe but might use sparingly and throw on some tires that are more road orientated since I am not sure where to go for "off roading/trail riding".

Other than unpaved county roads, you are not going to be finding much in the way of offroad/trails in Texas suitable for that bike. Most of your actual offroad/trail stuff will be in privately owned riding parks and are generally setup for full blown dirt bikes. As for the "technical" aspects of the county roads, most are graded and maintained such that driving a typical sedan/truck down them is not going to be an issue. There are a few exceptions, most notably if you get out to Big Bend NP or Big Bend Ranch & SP. If you head up into Arkansas, you will find more technical and scenic offroad riding in the form of county and forest service roads, and also there are ATV trails that can get quite technical, even for a smaller DS bike. The paved riding in NW Arkansas and SW Missouri is a lot of fun. You can also head West to Cloudcroft, New Mexico. There is a good bit of nice paved and unpaved riding in the mountains there. Most of it is at high enough elevation that it is pleasant when things get toasty here in the summer. Northern and Western New Mexico also have a lot of great riding, paved and unpaved. If you have more time, heading into Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming opens up MILES of fantastic riding!

That's what I was afraid of. Europe was a tough one in regards to offroad/trail riding (aside form the T.E.T.) - Northern Africa was great and Eastern Europe was also good but kind of a "no man's land" at times...so might save the tires for a trip to Big Bend.

Thanks for the insight...

Erik

If you like sand, come down to SE Texas... There is usually and East Tx 450/500 ride that is done once or twice a year. If the weather is nice, it is an easy ride (plus a few sand spots that can be tough on big bikes). If the weather is wet... :eek2:

We are doing a ride on 3/10 if your interested. Gravel and some pavement

I have the new Dakar design now. New design may have better traction due to increased lug spacing off road/pavement. It is what it is which is a 50/50 tire so not great at either. It is , how Scott always mentions, a compromise for sure. The old design , at least for pavement seemed to really bite well when diving over into corners. I have noticed a different feel (now i'm describing feelings :lol2:) on pavement on corners than the original. Still neutral on whether its any better or worse tire. I do know they are expensive.

I have the new Dakar design now. New design may have better traction due to increased lug spacing off road/pavement. It is what it is which is a 50/50 tire so not great at either. It is , how Scott always mentions, a compromise for sure. The old design , at least for pavement seemed to really bite well when diving over into corners. I have noticed a different feel (now i'm describing feelings :lol2:) on pavement on corners than the original. Still neutral on whether its any better or worse tire. I do know they are expensive.

I've heard they are expensive...i was picking up E-07/Dakars in the end for 50ish Euro. The E-07+ for around 65-80 Euro. I have read the discussions online as to why they are double or triple the price here in N. America.

My last order (sigh):

I found Touratech the same. Bad rap here in N. America for the prices, but in Germany (I know, where it's made) the prices were fair. I asked them about it at the Touratech Headquarters. They just frowned when they saw the prices had almost tripled here in the states. But...seems there are very solid other parts manufacturers out there. Between 4x4's and adventure riding no shortage of aftermarket parts here in America. Good t be home :)

Might be a little too soon to leave my wife alone with two semi trucks of boxes and household goods to still be unpacked :)

Keep me in mind in the future!
Will do. It is an ongoing monthly ride

Back