• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Nitrogen tire fill

When I drove my bike to the top of Pike's peak I let all of that heavy sea level air out of my tires and added that sweet thin 14,000 ft air.

Hmm I wonder how long it would take for one of them mini air compressors to pump up a tire up there?
What is the pressure rise in a tire at altitude?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ok the pressure at the peak is 60% of that at sea level
8.82psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
A script on that link doesn't play nicely with Firefox. I had to force quit Firefox and immediately close that tab upon restarting Firefox.

If you have you own compressor, add a painter's quality dryer/filter to achieve nearly the same result.

I've rotated my front tire by flipping it to run in reverse. That allowed me to use up the tread on the right side that never wears as quickly. I estimate that gained me 30% more use of the tire.

I have a dryer set up to two lines. One goes straight to coupler, the other to a pneumatic oiler for running air tools. Like others have said dry air is the main thing:chug:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmnZ4-EUbIk"]Nitrogen vs Air In Tyres - Fifth Gear - YouTube[/ame]

Watch this, then decide if it's worth the extra dosh. It's a Fifth Gear test. I don't bother. Maintaining your tire pressures on a two-wheeler is such a vital part of riding I don't think it's worth the hassle. YMMV

Back