• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mandatory tire monitoring

As stupid as this is, I'm not surprised. We have cars with automatic lights (on AND off) because people can't seem to remember to operate their lights. We certainly can't expect people to do something as mundane as check their tire pressure on some regular interval.

The more the masses act like mindless consumers, the more regulation we'll see. The more regulation we give to the gov't, the more they'll (gov't) like it and the monster will grow all on its own.

[steps down from his soapbox]

We need automatic transmissions that shift into Park as soon as a sensor detects there is no weight on the driver's seat.

Or how about steering wheels that won't turn unless they detect the driver's head turning to look first?

:lol:

Just cheating Darwin a little more, keeping the idiot genes in the pool. :angryfir:

How about this? It would clear up highway congestion and keep idiots off the roads making them safer. You don't issue a driver's license until a driver can sit down and pass a test on the mechanical function of their cars. Essay questions on function of the internal combustion engine and diagnosis of problems. You could have an oral/demonstration exam, something like make the drive change out his brake pads in front of officials giving the test. Make him/her pull the valve cover and set valve lash on a DOHC under bucket shim motor. Nothing hard like rebuilds, just simple mechanical stuff.

The premise to this is, if you're an idiot, you cannot drive, period. The mechanical condition of your SUV effects the safety of everyone on the road. If you can't check tire pressure for Christ's sake, what business do you have driving? Same goes for brake maintenance, and you'd have to show a abundance of mechanical aptitude in order to drive.

Also, I think a device in SUVs that disables any cell phone inside the car would be nice. Not sure how they're going to keep women from applying make up or anyone from reading the morning paper on their commute... :roll: There's still room for Darwinism here.

How about a law eliminating cup holders, in car video, make-up mirrors and power outlets. :-D

With the money saved, we could have phone scramblers (yes they exist) that operate when the car is not in park. Nothing to do but drive, what a concept.

eliminating cup holders
Now ya done switched from preachin' to meddlin'! :angryfir:
I can't function without a Dr. Pepper within easy reach (I only sip when stopped at traffic lights). :roll:

I am sure that one day there will be a study done on the correlation between the introduction of cup holders and the increase in motor vehicle accidents.

Jack Giesecke said:
Also, I think a device in SUVs that disables any cell phone inside the car would be nice.

It would be cool to install one of these devices in my saddlebag...

http://www.netline.co.il/Netline/HPe.htm

hpe.jpg

Imagine being able to disable every cellphone within a one kilometer radius. Yeah Baby!

Illegal for civilians in the US, but cops can use them.

I like it.

Government regulation is not always a bad thing. I see it as very similar to air bags and fuel efficiency standards. Compliance with government regulation can drive technology and engineers to come up with good solutions and becuase the solutions are required on all vehicles you get economies of scale that would not be possible if they were optional.

For one, I like the air bags much better than those automatic seatbelts that some cars had for awhile if the buyer was unwilling to pay for airbags.

Checking air pressure on tires is a dirty and unpleasant hassle that I am happy to let a tool do for me.

You do realize that Joan Claybrook, mother of the air bag under Jimmy Carter, is now being critical of them for turning minor fender benders into injury accidents?

See airbags in any kind of racing? 'Course not.

All for side curtains, but the "bomb bag" blowing right at you is not always a good idea...

An issue ignored by government is that tire failure, in and of it self, doesn't cause accidents and roll overs; drivers input does. The gap between vehicle capability and that of its driver has never been greater. The more high-speed and technical a vehicle is, the less qualified the average driver is behind the wheel. Advances were ceated to make driving more pleasurable and safer. Sadly, the greatest impact of said advances is the dumbing-down of drivers.

uberhawk said:
You do realize that Joan Claybrook, mother of the air bag under Jimmy Carter, is now being critical of them for turning minor fender benders into injury accidents?

I've always found it humorous in a Wiley Coyote sort of way that a 10 mph collision results in a 200 mph airbag blast. :-D Seriously though, I've seen minor fender benders reult in broken bones from the bag. Never EVER reach under the top of the wheel to make a turn.

Checking air pressure on tires is a dirty and unpleasant hassle that I am happy to let a tool do for me.

The problem though is that the regulations only require a tire pressure warning when the pressure is significantly low (75% I think). That's 24 psi for a 32 psi tire!!

I guess I'm anal, but when my pressure difference is more then 1 psi I reach for the air pump. My car tires are low profile so it doesn't take much psi difference to start noticing handling issues.

John Bennett said:
Jack Giesecke said:
Also, I think a device in SUVs that disables any cell phone inside the car would be nice.

It would be cool to install one of these devices in my saddlebag...

http://www.netline.co.il/Netline/HPe.htm

hpe.jpg

Imagine being able to disable every cellphone within a one kilometer radius. Yeah Baby!

Illegal for civilians in the US, but cops can use them.

:twisted: :dude: Outstanding!!, I'll take 2 to go please

Frankly, I'd worry about all the distracted drivers trying to figure out why their phones stopped working. ;-)

The cellphone killer would definately have to be poweful enough to kill the cell signal, give the drivers time to decide they've lost signal and put the phone down, and then us to pass.

Maybe equip a chase vehicle with one of these...
19inch.jpg

Back