• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

IBA/TOH finish upTexas ride

Figured I’d go cheer Traxx on as he went through Yorktown.

9f7079d66843b4d9d5b3d79ab51d1866.jpg
Nice!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well, I am done with the Texas TOH Memorials. I didn't finish the SS, my mind set just was not right. I will Post up pictures along with a ride report tomorrow. Most likely I will just add to this thread.

I completed 1 of 2 objectives yesterday, and looking back at it I really should have done both. I will call it lack of rest, causing a poor mind set and general bleh.
Up at 04:00 shower and have a half a cup of coffee. Dress up as Fat Darth Vader and roll out at 04:45.
Its wet and water is standing all over the place, I put it down to the rain from earlier in the night. The forecast shows it to be cloudy and no rain. Ha!!!! It is a cool 56 degrees and brisk.
I hit the 7-11 at about 05 and get fueled up and start my tracking and nav apps.
1defc7c119b59abf9a61f73dd7e955ec-M.png

Now head south to San Marcos. Up to speed on I-35 and going well through Ft Worth. I hit a very light rain, you know that stuff that just sticks to the visor instead of beading up and rolling off. Combine that with the road spray from the other vehicles on the road and it can cut vision way down. Its like this until about Austin.
About the 130/I-35 split I can see brake lights on I-35 so 130 it is. Look down and I am getting short on fuel. Roll on looking for a gas station, getting shorter on fuel, still looking. Miles to empty down to 6 miles and there is a station, YAY!!!! I guess I won't get to use the Roto Pax after all. Back on 130 and keep going, soon after this is where I make my first mistake. I miss my turn back to I-35, call it not paying attention or poor vision or what ever but I stayed on 130. Man I have been on here for a while, shouldn't I be turning toward I-35 and San Marcos? Next sign up San Antonio? What? Awwwww Foot!!!! How do I get to San Marcos. Okay head Straight west and slightly north.
San Marcos
3951d86ec35e239215fc0386f421bed8-M.png

IMG_0009-M.jpg

Now on to Yorktown, a much better ride than the super slab.
You already saw the photo of Myself and the memorial in Yorktown. Thanks South Tex, it was great meeting you and taking the time to talk.
Here are a couple of my own.
IMG_0017-M.jpg

IMG_0021-M.jpg

Now on to Port Arthur. But first I had to do something about my seat. I keep sliding down. I had the front of the seat adjustment set for a level seat. So I brought the front adjustment to the high level and left the rear in the lower level. Much better.
So the roads to I-10 were fun, just enough curves to keep it interesting and not so many to keep the speed down. I-10 though, not fun. Passed through Houston with no issues.
It's been over 10 years since I have been to the area.
IMG_0023-M.jpg

IMG_0024-M.jpg

This one hits home for me, I guess being a Bubble Head and all.
IMG_0027-M.jpg

IMG_0028-M.jpg

IMG_0031-M.jpg

IMG_0032-M.jpg

Tired and not really feeling it.
Call in the dogs and put out the fire, time to go home.
56219071262__67E9A058-BB32-42C7-A1AE-5AD7E524E49E-M.jpg

If I had checked the route and compared the miles and time I could have finished out the SS1000 in nearly the same time. Well you know the whole hind sight 20/20 and all.

Good to meet you too, and glad to see that rear tire held air for the trip [emoji419]

South Tex had mentioned that I was traveling pretty light.
True statement. I ditched the panniers in favor of better MPG and consolidated everything into the tankbag.
Water, gloves, tire air gauge, pen and note pad, 2 bandanas, phone charger and cord.
1 gallon roto pax strapped to the left pannier.
Between the underseat storage and tool box I have a wheel lock/alarm, air pump/tire plug kit, leatherman wave with assorted bits, bungie straps and CPR mask with gloves.

Good to meet you too, and glad to see that rear tire held air for the trip [emoji419]
Ditto, and the tire is still holding pressure this morning. I haven't pull the nail out yet though.

Tired and not really feeling it.
Call in the dogs and put out the fire, time to go home.
The best decision that can be made is the one that allows you to ride another day.

If I had checked the route and compared the miles and time I could have finished out the SS1000 in nearly the same time. Well you know the whole hind sight 20/20 and all.
When I called off my BBG in June I was 17 miles short of an SS1K yet I was too mentally numb to realize it or care at the time. And, in hindsight, once i made it to the hotel the majority of the wildlife issues were behind me, but again, I was too disengaged to know or care.

Hindsight is wonderful in the sense that it can teach you what to do in a similar situation in the future.

You got your TOH sites and you got home safe. That's sufficient.

Back