• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Front shock rebuild on 07 R1200GSA

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
Front shock seems to be leaking oil. I assume it needs a rebuild. Anyone in the DFW area that knows what they are doing or should I send it off somewhere?

If I should send it off, where?

Re: Front shock rebuild on 07 R1200GS

I would call Todd or rick at cogent.

You might consider Klaus & his team at EPM Performance Imports. They can rebuild BMW OEM ESA shocks and/or upgrade them with HyperPro springs.

About 2 years ago & a few years after I replaced my '07 K12S ESA shocks with Wilbers, I made an inquiry with EPM & this is the response I got:

Thank you for your interest in our products and services.

Yes, we can supply ESA shocks with the transfer of the OEM ESA components for the K 1200/1300 S/R/GT models, but they are not Wilbers, they are Hyperpro shocks. We can also rebuild the OEM ESA shocks for those models and supply new Hyperpro progressive springs for the OEM shocks.

We are the only company doing this, there is nobody else in the entire US and most likely world – hard to believe but it is true. The new shocks are from Hyperpro. The HyperPro set including the transfer of the ESA components is roughly $1,350.00. The new shocks are built to the rider's weight & can be built to lower the ride height.

A rebuild service of the OEM front and rear is $600.00... with new springs add $300.00. We can also replace a burned or rusted out or otherwise failed ESA stepper drive for the rebound damping adjustment on the OEM shocks. Some problems with failed ESA pre-load adjustments can be repaired as well.

The above three positions can only be done at and by EPM Performance with the use of Hyperpro parts. There is nobody else in the US who can do or supply the same & nobody who can offer better prices for this type of work and/or products than us. These products & services are available not only for K bikes but R, GS & F bikes as well.

If there is anything I can do for you, let me know.

Regards

Klaus Huenecke
EPM Performance Imports
Email: info@epmperf.com

I'm tempted to go this route when I'm ready to rebuild/replace the shocks on my 1150GS.

Another option for you. :)

Is it OEM or aftermarket?

Is it OEM or aftermarket?
I don't know. Bought it used and I know it's had work from Lindeman Engineering (?sp) but I don't know if the just revalved OEM or replaced. I guess I need to get in there and pull it and see if it's OEM or not.

It has been brought to my attention that the GS and GSA use different shocks. I have a GSA and amended the title as such.

The Ohlins look like a nice option...just not sure I want to spend that kind of money on this bike though. However, I did bottom out the front shock a dozen times or more on my last ADV ride so I'm sure I'd notice the improvement. (Then again...a properly working OEM shock might not have done as poorly)

I installed the Touratech spring kit on my Tiger 800xc stock shocks and that made a huge difference. No more bottoming out. I am going to call EPM about rebuilding my 1150 shocks and changing out the springs is current sag is not correct.

You might also check with Piper Performance in Decatur. Great suspension guy and RaceTech certified.

Thanks for the feedback. Now I just have to decide if I want to spend $300 to have an OEM shock rebuilt or spend $600-900 to put in a better, aftermarket one.

And of course....if I do the front.....then I'll need to do the rear.

Do I really want to spend $1200 to $1500 on a 2007 GSA? I definitely would if I"m keeping it....problem is I don't know if this is the ADV bike I plan to keep for a few years or if I want to trade it out for something else that meets my needs a bit better.

That is a tough call[emoji848] because you will be upgrading the suspension on your next bike also.

Unless you get the same era bike and can swap suspension. I wonder how many years forward the 2007 Gsa used the same suspension?

I have a sneaking suspicion I will see you posting up a ktm adv bike!

I found a set of low miles take-offs for my 05 for $250. Unless you are wanting to upgrade, you may want to investigate that route.

That is a tough call[emoji848] because you will be upgrading the suspension on your next bike also.

Unless you get the same era bike and can swap suspension. I wonder how many years forward the 2007 Gsa used the same suspension?

I have a sneaking suspicion I will see you posting up a ktm adv bike!

You know me pretty well. I'm seriously considering a 1090R as my next bike.

It's really just timing. This is the 2 kids in college year so I probably can't do anything until next May or June after my oldest graduates. I think I'll just get this fixed. I rode it pretty hard last weekend. It's a good enough bike that I can really enjoy riding it as is. (although I probably wouldn't have crashed if I had the KTM :) )

:tab I've had Ohlins front and rear on my 07 GS (Not GSA) since I got it. I love them. I've had the front rebuilt twice, once when it was on my 05 GS and again after I put it on the 07 GS. I've had to rebuild the rear once. If you look at the Ohlins recommendations, they say rebuild about every 10K miles if you are actually using the bike as an adventure bike. I've used Motorcycles Unlimited in North Houston and it is around $200 for a rebuild, front or rear. I kind of look at that expense like I look at tires, oil, and other consumables. Shock performance does degrade over time and you are not likely to realize the gradual change until you get them rebuilt and can see the immediate before/after difference. Once you have had good suspension, it is hard to go back to a bike without it. I like to put my farkle money there before much else, other than maybe luggage and a good seat.

:tab If you already have decent after market suspension, I'd just pay to have it rebuilt unless you plan to keep the GSA a long time. IF you have the right tools, it is not hard. If you don't... well... :eek2:

I found a set of low miles take-offs for my 05 for $250. Unless you are wanting to upgrade, you may want to investigate that route.

Good idea. Where did you find them? I looked at ebay and didn't see any.

Good idea. Where did you find them? I looked at ebay and didn't see any.

I picked them up over on ADV, lots of members have a set collecting dust in there garage. Sometimes beemer boneyard has some in stock too. I'd try ADV first.

I replaced the suspension on my 2008 RT with TracTive from Ted Porter's Beemershop. It retains the electronic suspension adjustment. Very nice indeed.

I used Lindemann Engineering in the past and loved their work. Unfortunately Jim passed away several years ago. The business continues to operate but I hear they have cut way back on the work.Otherwise I would send your shocks back to them.

Put some good stuff on your bike - don't sell it when you get a new one because everyone needs a buddy bike ...!

Dave

Dang , I just sold a low mile front and rear shock set for a 07 GSA for $100. I bought em for $50 with an exhaust can and carried it around for 8 years keeping it in climate controlled closet the whole time. Wish I could have helped ya out. My 07 shocks still worked fine for my riding needs at 82K wihen I sold the bike.

Dang , I just sold a low mile front and rear shock set for a 07 GSA for $100. I bought em for $50 with an exhaust can and carried it around for 8 years keeping it in climate controlled closet the whole time. Wish I could have helped ya out. My 07 shocks still worked fine for my riding needs at 82K wihen I sold the bike.

No problem. I decided to do a major upgrade and put a fully adjustable and custom built set of Mupo's on it. It took a month to get them built and shipped from Italy but it's an entirely different bike now.

Good call... you can get a lifetime out of the motor, with simple Mobil 1 15-50. And, I have had lots of folks tell me how much different the bikes ride with new aftermarket shocks. Maybe I'll bit the bullet on my 2011 ESA GSA at some point and make the upgrade. So far the only gripe is no DCT transmission to save some hand wear and tear :-)

Back