• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SPOT GPS

I have used heavy duty velcro to fasten several different types of gear to the brake master cylinder on my FJR. I put the fuzzy part on the brake reservoir and the hook part on the device what ever it may be. I found the industrial rated velco at Home Depot ( or hopeless depot as I call them) and Lowes as well. I have travled some bumpy roads and never lost a device. Check it out.

I bought a Gen3 to replace my original SPOT because I like the idea of it "pausing" when you stop moving, and then re-initiating the tracking once you start rolling again, and that you don't have to restart it after 24 hours.

I did a BBG one time and started the tracking about 2 hours before I actually left the house, so since my BBG was 23H 55M the Spot failed to capture the last two hours. Grrrr.

Anyhow, after getting SPOT on the horn, I got the devices changed in the system in about five minutes... piece of cake.

Now... the issue... SPOT does not honor the $75 rebate if you buy through Amazon. You find that out at the terms & conditions link on the online rebate page, at the very bottom, in very small print. :angryfire

So I call SPOT back to have them change me back to my original unit. "No problem" says Diego. "I just have to call Finance and let them know so they don't charge you for an inactivation/re-activation. I'll be right back".

Phone goes dead. I call back and it just rings and rings. I call back several times over the next 30 minutes and it just rings and rings.

So I sent them an email and I'm waiting to hear back. In the meantime, my Gen3 is boxed up to go back to Amazon and my old unit is sitting on my bike, but the Gen3 is still showing in my account so if I ride this weekend I won't have any tracker.

Arghhhh...

UPDATE 07/15/17
It turns out that they had a big storm in Louisiana yesterday (imagine that), and their building lost power. I spoke with them this morning and they changed my account to show the old SPOT Messenger instead of the new Gen3, and there wasn't any charge to disconnent/reconnect.

So in the end, all is well.

I also found out that in order to get the rebate you have to have a NEW subscription, you just can't swap units, so I'll be staying with this model until my subscription expires next April.

ANOTHER UPDATE 07/15/17
The circus continues... I happened to check my credit card balance and I found a charge from SPOT in the amount of $194.45. It seems that the promo code my agent was given when she re-activated my account didn't work. So now I'll be looking for a credit to my statement the early part of next week.

I'm currently researching the InReach brand now. :-)

OK, I think TricePilot has convinced me. I had not given thought to what Brenda would go through if she got "the call". That, plus the story by Sideoff on ADV has pretty much convinced me that the interactive texting is the way to go. It might be a little more expensive this way, but right now it looks like it will be money well spent. My SPOT is good until April of next year, so I'll start looking for deals around Christmas time this year.

Last edited:
I ended up with the inReach Explorer+ and love it. Bluetooths over to phone for easy texting vs the texting on the unit. Weather reports are great as well. Quite happy with it.

Had the Spot G3 & (Giant Loop holster worked great on hydration pack strap) for almost a year and my batteries just leaked :doh: (Perhaps due to recent Co trip and higher elevations). Despite a few hours cleaning, it's dead. Good thing my contract is almost up. I am leaning twards the InReach.

Spot does offer a supplementary rescue insurance plan through GEOS. Will have to look if InReac has same offer. Think it was about $20 a yr for 100,000 a suplemental coverage like medivac...

What I don't see in the articles is how it all played out for paying for said rescue. That would be good to know, as anything with a helicoptor is huge, and inshurance companies like to place fault, or delay payment, etc... or how does it work if you pressed 911 for your buddy? I imagine they charge whomever ie in the rescue vehicle not the caller.

Had the Spot G3 & (Giant Loop holster worked great on hydration pack strap) for almost a year and my batteries just leaked :doh: (Perhaps due to recent Co trip and higher elevations). Despite a few hours cleaning, it's dead. Good thing my contract is almost up. I am leaning twards the InReach.

Spot does offer a supplementary rescue insurance plan through GEOS. Will have to look if InReac has same offer. Think it was about $20 a yr for 100,000 a suplemental coverage like medivac...

What I don't see in the articles is how it all played out for paying for said rescue. That would be good to know, as anything with a helicoptor is huge, and inshurance companies like to place fault, or delay payment, etc... or how does it work if you pressed 911 for your buddy? I imagine they charge whomever ie in the rescue vehicle not the caller.

Inreach's rescue plan is $500k for about $18 for the year. Was ready to use it on the Great Divide Ride with my broken collarbone when some of the guys found some locals with a pickup so did not get a chance to use it.

I guarantee that if you use it for a friend, the friend is not covered. At the end of the day it is likely underwritten by an insurance company, which then will take a look at the accident and deny the claim as the friend was not the policy holder. Otherwise, we could have a group of 100 riders and one person have the coverage and order a helicopter for anyone that gets hurt.

You healing up good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep - crazy enough, I have never been in any pain other than apparently I stubbed my big toe pretty good and still aches a little. Even after the plate went in with 10 screws for the collarbone I only took Tylenol. The ortho I had is a neighbor who got me in within 2 days and probably took his time since he knows me, so I will chalk it up to that.

Bike is toast because of the wiring harness, so I will have to get a new one or buy that one from the insurance company.

Counting down the weeks to get back out.

Inreach's rescue plan is $500k for about $18 for the year. Was ready to use it on the Great Divide Ride with my broken collarbone when some of the guys found some locals with a pickup so did not get a chance to use it.

I guarantee that if you use it for a friend, the friend is not covered. At the end of the day it is likely underwritten by an insurance company, which then will take a look at the accident and deny the claim as the friend was not the policy holder. Otherwise, we could have a group of 100 riders and one person have the coverage and order a helicopter for anyone that gets hurt.

Glad it was not too traumatic for you and you are healing well. Yeah I think GEOS does the insurance for InReach as well. I knew you couldn't cover a fellow rider, but was concerned if you called for someone else, the evac bill might come your way...

Called Spot, and they are sending me a new unit under warranty. So looks like I will be staying with them one more year.

Back