• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

California, Oregon, Washington trip planning?

Reaction score
First Name
Dennie
Last Name
Spears
Not a MC trip. I'm taking my wheel chair bound MIL on a trip of about 3 or 4 weeks. Driving. For sure, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Sequoia, Redwoods, Big Sur along Hwy 1. Maybe Hurst Castle. What else? We have been all over NM, Co, and southern Utah. This will be a sort of scouting run for a future MC trip of considerably longer time. Thanks in advance.

Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood will be ADA compliant and a scenic place to visit. (REDRUM!) The Columbia River Gorge should offer some shopping, eating and sight seeing. The Olympic peninsula is a fun place as well. If you can stay inside the rain shadow - Port Townsend, Anacortes, Whidbey Island - you can avoid most of the drizzly weather the area is known for. The Washington State Ferry system is pretty cool and can offer some good on the water sight seeing. The trip from Anacortes to Friday Harbor is guaranteed to provide glimpses of marine mammals and there are boats our of Friday Harbor for killer whale watching. Lots of apple orchards and wineries open for tours and tastings. There are also a large number of scenic, pre-WWI forts that have been turned into state parks. It is a spectacular place.

Big Sur was unreachable last I checked. Massive mudslide took out the road to the south and a bridge out to the north isolated it from Monterey. Bridge repair was overdue so might be open now. In that case you could do a down and back to Big Sur.

Mudslide is after San Simeon so you can still reach Hurst Castle from the south.

_

Last edited:
Big Sur was unreachable last I checked. Massive mudslide took out the road to the south and a bridge out to the north isolated it from Monterey. Bridge repair was overdue so might be open now. In that case you could do a down and back to Big Sur.

Mudslide is after San Simeon so you can still reach Hurst Castle from the south.

_

It's reopened as of last October.

Suggest:

Big Trees Park (on CA 4, Ebbets Pass, great riding road.)
Murphys, CA (irish mining town)
Placerville, CA (gold mining boomtown, cool museum)
Sacramento (has a railroad museum that is impressive)

Back