Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #21
charrito

Re: Thinking of getting in to Adventure Riding... - North of Dallas

https://youtu.be/NpsqlbTuqAc

I giggle in the face of fear.
The views and opinions expressed in any of my posts do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of this forum or anyone associated with it. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Sometimes.
----------------------------------
IBA #57800
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (1,467 - ?)
2006 Yamaha TTR250
2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50 - 28'855 miles
Spotwalla -- InstaCharrito

Last edited by charrito; 12-14-2017 at 08:43 PM.
charrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:13 AM   #22
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Appears as if "One Post Loonatic" lit the discussion fuse....and ran
Dang pot stirrer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
...I don't know much about your desires/wants/needs but I'll tell you in advance what little I do know about them boils your search down to three factors:

(1) Weight

(2) Weight

(3) Weight
More specific:

(1) Bike Weight

(2) Rider Weight

(3) Luggage Weight

I've seen plenty spend an extra $5,000+++ on a 50 lb lighter bike only to negate that savings with a 25 lb beer belly and 25 lbs of useless luggage. All weight counts.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #23
xcaliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrito View Post
https://youtu.be/NpsqlbTuqAc

I giggle in the face of fear.
My mind says" I can do that" Then my body says" No you can't" then my mind says" Listen to the other guy."
Old 12-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #24
loonatic

Wow. A ton of great responses here. Sorry for the delay in getting back. I've been under the weather and buried at work this week, which is a sucky combination, so I never got a chance to come back to this thread. Sorry to lite the discussion fuse and bail! That was a funny comment but totally not my intention!

I already have a 14 KTM 250 XCW that I ride trails and race the occasional enduro on. So I was thinking something more pavement oriented. I don't see myself trying to get on any gnarly trails on a d/s bike. If I want to go ride hard trails I already have a bike for that.

That bike is not suited for leisurely travel though and the only reason I would ever consider plating it is if I was headed somewhere that required a plate to get from Trail A to trail B.

I was thinking something in the (used) KTM 990/1090 range. From my (admittedly little) research so far it seems like those are well oriented on pavement/gravel roads but can still handle some trail duty when asked to.

I didn't have any intentions of buying a new motorcycle either. I've had motorcycles all my life and I've never owned a new one. I am just a bit too cheap to justify paying more money for a new one. I just bought the 14 250 last year for $4200 and it already had all the good stuff on it which beats the heck out of paying $9-10k for a new one and still having to spend the better part of $1000 on aftermarket parts.
loonatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #25
PJ
Forum Supporter

Better off just getting a side x side. I hear motorcycle riding is dangerous
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #26
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonatic View Post
Sorry to lite the discussion fuse and bail! That was a funny comment but totally not my intention!
We provide first class entertainment around here at no charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonatic View Post
I already have a 14 KTM 250 XCW that I ride trails and race the occasional enduro on. So I was thinking something more pavement oriented. I don't see myself trying to get on any gnarly trails on a d/s bike. If I want to go ride hard trails I already have a bike for that.

That bike is not suited for leisurely travel though and the only reason I would ever consider plating it is if I was headed somewhere that required a plate to get from Trail A to trail B.
Mark Sampson, a.k.a. Big Dog, rode over 7K to Alaska and back on a Yamaha WR250. You should read his ride story here.

If you scroll around his web page, you'll see the story of the build of that bike as well as other adventure bikes Mark has built up and taken adventures on. No doubt it will give you ideas. My main point here is if a big dude like Mark can outfit and enjoy a 250 and use it as his bike-of-choice, you might get the idea that bigger isn't necessarily better. Or more comfortable.

Lots of variables. Many of them are based upon perception and paradigms that we all have in one form or the other.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #27
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Having met Mark several times, I don't know that the adjective of "Big" really applies to him He's maybe 5'10" and 175-185 lbs. When I saw him this past July in Montana, I am pretty sure he was riding a 690/701? I can't recall for sure because there were so many people riding that bike out of the group of 50-60 riders. When I first met him, he had just retired back in 2012. We were out in the middle of nowhere in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina taking a break near a cool waterfall. He came cruising up from behind on that WR250. We spent a good 15-20 minutes just checking out all the various mods he had done to the bike to make it adventure worthy. It was quite impressive! He does a good job of paying attention to detail!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:21 PM   #28
Shadman
TWT Site Sponsor

Start minimal, move up over time as interest and budget allows.

I ride my KTM450 XCRW when I want to ride hard and fast.

For my dual sport, it's my trusty CRF230F.

I ride dual sports 3 to 4 times a year. Big Bend, Mexico, another Mexico, and an occasional a day ride from the house. That's all I really need to be happy. The experience on a dual sport I like to think is more like exploring, with riding thrown in to satisfy the adrenaline.

Best bet is a newer, lower mile bike with good and reliable resale value. Think XT225, CRF250L (Fuel injected!), KLX250S, DRZ400. Factory dual sport, just enough speed for highways, lighter in weight to make up for lack of power. $2000 gets you in the door.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #29
Shadman
TWT Site Sponsor

Oh, WR250R if you have the budget. Amazing bikes for being only a 250. 50,000 mile motors.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #30
ttmike

There is also some dirt riding up by Lake Murray in Oklahoma in addition to the red river place mentioned another response. My experience after having tried 400 pound plus dual sportsSuch as BMW and Kawasaki KLR Was that they were too heavy for the type of dirt riding I would’ve wanted to do. I then bought a Harley for the highway and now a 500 KTM after trying a Yamaha WR 250. I also like to spend the summers in northern New Mexico where I ride the forest roads and love it. I can ride pretty remote and high for half a day and then get on the highway and go into Taos for lunch then back home to Eagle nest. I’m tentatively planning a ride up to Taos plateau and Highway to Lake CityColorado. Then up and over either engineer or cinnamon pass into Silverton Colorado. All ride require some highway and Offroad too . If you have a way to trailer or like I do put it in a pick up sometime, it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ttmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:42 PM   #31
loonatic

Thanks for pointing me towards Mark's website. I am working my way through his pages currently and there's a ton of good stuff in there.

Looks like there are a fair amount of DRZ 400s floating around out there on craigslist. That could be a good place to start.
loonatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:53 AM   #32
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmike View Post
I’m tentatively planning a ride up to Taos plateau and Highway to Lake City Colorado. Then up and over either engineer or cinnamon pass into Silverton Colorado. All ride require some highway and Offroad too . If you have a way to trailer or like I do put it in a pick up sometime, it helps.
If you're interested, PM me about your plan if you're interested in feedback off this thread. I rode that area (COBDR) in September on my KTM 500. I can suggest a great place to camp south of Lake City on Lake San Cristobal. Of your two routes above I'll tell you which one I'd pick. The experience was epic.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #33
ttmike

I've done both passes on 4 wheels. When I go, this 68 year old body will be in a motel (Creede or Lake City) at night. FYI, I will take Taos Plateau(all dirt) into Colorado, then west from Antonito, CO on hwy 17 to the pass that follows the Conejos river through Platoro and down to Southfork, CO. This will be where I will take the slab to, probably, Lake City and spend the night.

I'm entertaining a thought about staying in Creede and maybe taking Stony pass to Silverton. Gas will be available in Antonito, Southfork, Creede, & Lake City, which is a consideration for my 2 gallon tank!

Another thing a lot of folks don't know is that the Taos Plateau ride is about 30 miles of dirt road amongst extinct volcanoes. I sometime do that ride, have lunch in Antonito, and head back to Eagle Nest for my RV bed that night!
ttmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #34
charrito

Can I interest you in a Tiger 800?

Blue bikes are faster.
The views and opinions expressed in any of my posts do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of this forum or anyone associated with it. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Sometimes.
----------------------------------
IBA #57800
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (1,467 - ?)
2006 Yamaha TTR250
2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50 - 28'855 miles
Spotwalla -- InstaCharrito
charrito is offline   Reply With Quote