TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-25-2017, 06:07 PM   #261
Texasrider58
Forum Supporter

Re: Who gets credit for getting you into motorcycles?

Took a short ride this morning on the Strom. I considered the reason I now have the bike. Spent some time again reading the stories here. Met some great people here. Two wheels may be the shared interest but the true treasure is the people you meet. Thanks and have a good holiday
Texasrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:37 PM   #262
drfood
Forum Supporter

Just saw this thread so I thought I would contribute. Sorry if it's too long and boring, but it's a cool story to us.

Mine was more along the lines of a romantic influence. Jay and I had dated about 2 or 3 weeks when he sent me a link to the Honda Rebel site and told me if I wanted to keep dating or eventually move in together I would have to accept him riding and preferably riding myself. Well since we were newly dating and I was in a crappy job I didn't really think much about it. Eventually he moved in with me and we settled into a relationship. Then we met 2 women (yes they were in a relationship together) via a story in the Houston gay magazine where they were developing a GLBT and GLBT friendly motorcycle group. So we met with the group for several months.

Jay finally said it was time to get the MSF done and so we went to Boss Hoss and signed up and took the class on August weekend. Talk about a stupid idea. Learning how to ride a motorcycle and taking the course in August in Houston. It was hot and miserable. We took the riding part out off College Ave in the parking lot of some strip clue. Kawasaki 250's. Neither of us had any gear, thankfully they lent us helmets and gloves. Both of us passed fortunately although the box maneuver was almost my downfall.

Jay had already decided he wanted a cruiser and we found a nice Sabre 1100 up in Tomball that they guy had to sell or his wife was taking the kids and leaving him. I was fixated on getting a BMW R1100RT. We shopped for the BMW all over central Texas but I just never found one I like. That's when the group here helped me out of a bind and got me to see that there were other choices. I eventually got a V-Stom 1000 from Alamo BMW in San Antonio.

Now let's not have a thread about the fun of the 1st 5 years of riding...there are stories i do not care to share about those years.

Thanks for letting me take a stroll down memory lane. It almost seems like yesterday.
drfood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:17 PM   #263
MississippiTexan

Mentioned my uncle previously who had his hand in getting me on two wheels. After a motocross crash which I broke my pelvis and collarbone in 1978, I put them up. In 1986, after college, my first job was in the freight business and I needed inexpensive transportation to/from the terminal. Had always wanted a 1976 KZ900 but could not find one in decent shape in MS. Settled on a 1977 KZ1000 and haven't looked back. Current ride 2016 CRF1000L (Africa Twin)

Last edited by MississippiTexan; 12-26-2017 at 11:38 PM.
MississippiTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #264
ntklr650

One of the few memories I have before the age of 6 was riding across the pasture on my dad's dirt bike. He only had it for a short time but that was the start. My mother hated bikes and swore we would never be aloud to own one. From that point forward, I road one every chance I could get under the radar. Bought my first bike at 23. It was an 87 KLR650. When my mom found out, she flipped as expected but I had already graduated college and bought my own home so she had no leverage. When I got married she thought that would be her opportunity to use the new bride against me but my wife grew up riding boda bodas as a form of transportation so she was all in on the two wheel world.

2001 KLR-650
1987 KLR-650 - Sold
2005 Vulcan 750 - Sold

New status: On two wheels again.
Old status: In between bikes right now
ntklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #265
Zonie

When I was 3 or so a friend of my fathers stopped by on his bike. Think it was either a Harley or an Indian, this was back in 54 or 55. Took my brother for a long ride and all I got was a ride around the block, I was pissed!
In the late 60's I loved watching Then Came Bronson, I wanted to do that! And, I have been riding for 49 years now. Got my first button bike 18 months ago and with the exception of that bike they all shift on the right. 5 Norton's, 1 AJS, 1 Matchless and a Suzuki V-Strom. I enjoy them all!
Zonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #266
georgeXcore

My dad (who never owned a motorcycle) technically started my bike obsession with getting me my first dirt bike at 8 years old, however I think it's more of a genetic issue. Motorcycles were life for my grandfather. I have a picture of him at 16 years old in what looks like zoot suit on a motorcycle old enough that it still looked like a bicycle with a motor. He had a story that when he was 16 he planned a tip to go from Boston to California on his motorcycle with two of his friends. His dad didn't trust his friends so he handcuffed my grandfather to the radiator in his bedroom so he wouldn't go. My grandfather said he hated his father until a year later. He found out his friends ran out of money half way there, tried to rob a gas station and ended up shooting the clerk. Those two ended up in San Quentin on murder charges. He also started a pretty rough and tumble MC that he disbanded in the late 80's/early 90's. My parents have a picture of me driving his Honda Shadow and I must have been like 9 or 10. He was on the back because I couldn't touch the ground, and I was in a tank top and shorts.......

My dad grew up riding dirt bikes with his brothers but never got a motorcycle. I have a million awesome stories from my grandfather.
georgeXcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:06 AM   #267
Scott E.

It was two people. The first, a very close friend, and the second someone I greatly admire but have not met.

As I was reading the book Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road the friend purchased his first bike. He tried to steer into a Harley but I went with a used GS 500, which was a great starter bike. His enthusiasm for motorcycling definitely influenced me.

Ghost Rider was written by Neil Peart, the drummer and lyricist for the band Rush. It chronicles his long distance ride through North and Central America, which helped him come to terms with the deaths of his wife and daughter. I’ve been a huge fanboy of Rush since 1982 and identify with much of Peart’s philosophy and worldview, and this book is a window into the thoughts and emotions of a great thinker and feeler.

Motorcycling has been a great journey for me!
IBA Member #59800
2015 Yamaha FJ-09

Last edited by Scott E.; 01-06-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Scott E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #268
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott E. View Post
It was two people. The first, a very close friend, and the second someone I greatly admire but have not met.

As I was reading the book Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road my friend purchased his first bike. He tried to steer into a Harley but I went with a used GS 500, which was a great starter bike. His enthusiasm for motorcycling definitely influenced me.

Ghost Rider was written by Neil Peart, the drummer and lyricist for the band Rush. It chronicles his long distance ride through North and Central America, which helped him come to terms with the deaths of his wife and daughter. I’ve been a huge fanboy of Rush since 1982 and identify with much of Peart’s philosophy and worldview, and this book is a window into the thoughts and emotions of a great thinker and feeler.

Motorcycling has been a great journey for me!
Did you read his first book about bicycling through Africa?

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #269
Scott E.

Yes, The Masked Rider is also very good.
IBA Member #59800
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Scott E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:15 AM   #270
Voltar

In 6th grade I bought a homebrew minibike from our neighbor, Lonnie. I lived out in the country and would travel relatively far distances on that thing. It broke all the time and taught me a lot of Macgyver'ing.

Fast forward to 15 years old and I have my 1st bike. A Suzuki TC125C. I drove to Lonnie's. He took my bike for a spin and handled me the keys to his Honda CB750 and said "have fun"!!

Looking back on it.... who the **** hands a 15 year old biker rookie the keys to CB750? Good 'ol Lonnie. RIP.

Projects and Stuff
Voltar is offline   Reply With Quote