TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #41
maximus_flavius

Re: Need vs. Want...how do you handle it?

How do I handle it? Poorly. Thats how........
maximus_flavius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #42
redden68

Timely question. I really enjoy my Versys, most fun I've had on 2 wheels in a while. But, I really want a Bonnie. I can't ride enough to justify 2 bikes right now and I'm afraid I won't enjoy a Bonnie as much as I do the Versys.
2002 Honda XR400R - gone
2007 KLX 250S - gone
99 Concours 1000 - gone
68 Bonnie 650 - gone
74 Yamaha 650- gone
69 Suzuki TS250 - gone
71 Bonnie 650 - gone
68 Kawasaki W2 650SS - gone
redden68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:58 AM   #43
gixxerjasen

Here's an interesting and timely post to check out on another forum. Language warning though.

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index...get-to-decide/
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #44
julimike54

Link doesn't appear to work
Old 04-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #45
gixxerjasen

Hmm, wonder if that's a section that's behind the login.

Long story short, his family member who has put work first all his life and is 70 and still works like 50 hours a week just had two strokes in two days and is dealing with the fact that he's losing major mobility and moving into a forced retirement. The poster was hit with the fact that you never know when something is going to happen to take away what you love to do, so do it now.

Last edited by gixxerjasen; 04-02-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #46
camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
Hmm, wonder if that's a section that's behind the login.

Long story short, his family member who has put work first all his life and is 70 and still works like 50 hours a week just had two strokes in two days and is dealing with the fact that he's losing major mobility and moving into a forced retirement. The poster was hit with the fact that you never know when something is going to happen to take away what you love to do, so do it now.
Fully agree. This is why I'm changing jobs now (starting a new one end of this month). Getting out of management and creating more time for my hobbies and things I want to do. Because you never know when your number comes up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #47
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
.....Getting out of management ....
I see a small but definite trend with that. Almost all among first and second level managers. I took it a step further than you did and just got out totally.

I will add back in a word of caution here. A lot of folks including me are counseling to make sure there is adequate life in the work life balance, but we should not have to over extend ourselves to do it. I'm about to start taking trips that I could never take before on a bike that I didn't have and I'm really looking forward to it, but the things I find the most luxurious are simply taking the time to enjoy a nice spring day and spending time with my wife on the property we own. Among the few stresses I have in my life now are those that involve expenditures for niceties.

In the end I guess that I would say that a person needs to ensure that they own their stuff rather than than being owned by it.
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:20 PM   #48
camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I see a small but definite trend with that. Almost all among first and second level managers. I took it a step further than you did and just got out totally.

I will add back in a word of caution here. A lot of folks including me are counseling to make sure there is adequate life in the work life balance, but we should not have to over extend ourselves to do it. I'm about to start taking trips that I could never take before on a bike that I didn't have and I'm really looking forward to it, but the things I find the most luxurious are simply taking the time to enjoy a nice spring day and spending time with my wife on the property we own. Among the few stresses I have in my life now are those that involve expenditures for niceties.

In the end I guess that I would say that a person needs to ensure that they own their stuff rather than than being owned by it.
Indeed. Either extreme is bad, and its all about balance. That's what I've been working to achieve in my life.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #49
Morgan Buchanan

Enablers one and all. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Morgan Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #50
Morgan Buchanan

Morgan Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #51
gixxerjasen

Nice. I'm kinda jealous.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:39 AM   #52
one Wolf

2016 GSX-S 1000FA... purple cap

2014 BMW R 1200 GS... purple cap

'07 FJR1300, purple cap...Gone

'08 Silver DL1000, purple cap...Gone

'I don't wanna die, I just wanna ride my motorcy.....cle'
one Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:32 PM   #53
Fischthing

I screwed up and bought a '06 Wee that still proves to be the most fun, er, logical bike for me. Prior I had a ST1100, 1800 GW and SV650. The Wee pulls those together for me (1 up).

When I want, and I do a lot of wanting, a ride on the Wee works magic.
Then there is the hint of something new/different, like 700cc class ktm adv bike. Or the now "seasoned" FZ07 (remember when the new CB500's came out?). I want a MG V7II, until I read a review...yea, some day I will pick up a cherry used one. The new 900 triumphs are cool...

The DL 1000 is an easy choice.
Fischthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #54
geolpilot

When you want something, double the price and see if you still want it. You will have to make that much before taxes and other costs to have the money to buy it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
geolpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:34 PM   #55
budzrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzrex View Post
It leads to trouble, I have 3 and am thinking on number 4 as a matter of fact i made a first right of refusal offer on it tonight
its a sickness almost a year later from my last post in this tread, and I do have number 4, housing a 5th for a friend and eyeballing another one again, and I have realized my wife is a goddess with incredible patience for my passions. Or she figures if I keep playing with toys I am out of her hair and she can relax
1992 RM250
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
2005 Dodge Ram

The best times in life are often behind bars
just pick horizontal ones
budzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:14 PM   #56
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

How timely is the resurrection of this old thread...

I only have two that are actually "mine". Then there are the four dirt bikes for the kids. Snoopster keeps her bike in our garage as well. I've had to move the riding mower out behind the garage and get a nice cover for it So now, if I want another, I have to get rid of one of mine.

I still go through all the need vs want stuff though. Now with three kids from 12 to 8, I am often wondering what I could do with the money that might make for really cool memories for them. That gets me thinking about doing bike trips with them like I did with my oldest last September on my 1200 GS. My problem now is I want to upgrade my small bike, which can't carry a passenger and goes on trips where it is just me and other riders, so that necessarily excludes the wife/kids for now. Also, there is ALWAYS something else I probably SHOULD spend the money on, like fixing something on the house, adding to savings, buying something my wife might want, etc,...

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $312.84 - Previous Month: $553.44 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #57
KenH
User's account inactive by request
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post

... The bike spoke to me. ... .
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Buchanan View Post
Enablers one and all. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
An addiction much more common than people think. That's why little boys become demons and little girls become witches, and it's called "maturity".
KenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #58
Knobby

T usually has great advice. The only thing I'll add is my personal philosophy. Each new thing is only attractive for a while. Logically that means there are a finite number of things we can get in our lives that we can afford (T's advice) to keep us interested. Therefore the faster we get those things the longer we're bored at the end. Pace yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
If you are paying all your regular bills and meeting your responsibilities, what comes after that is just personal preference. Need is rarely an objective standard. You just have to consider the other things YOU might wish to do with the money versus getting a bike. The problems start when you let other things go so you can buy the bike and those things start to come back to bite you. I mean let's face it, most of us don't REALLY need a bike. We simply have one (or more) because we can and we enjoy it.
Knobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #59
Annhl8rX

I've found that what I think I want in a bike never really is. My first street bike was a Katana 600, and I loved riding it. I got rid of it when I found a good deal on a leftover SV1K naked. I never liked the SV as much as many people seem to. I found it uncomfortable, and just not that much fun to ride.

Then I began to lust after a supermoto, so I got one. There aren't any enjoyable roads around me for that kind of bike, though. When I coupled that with the ridiculous scarcity and cost of parts for it (it was a Vor), i couldn't bring myself to keep it long.

The discomfort of the SV and the Vor made me think I wanted a cruiser, but I still wanted power. I bought a V65 Magna, thinking it would be the best of both worlds. It wasn't as comfortable as I had hoped, and I didn't care for the weight, antiquated brakes, or suspension.

"A sport touring bike should fit the bill", I thought. I replaced the Magna with an ST1100. Too big, too heavy, and too boring.

I'm bikeless right now. Partly due to disenchantment with street riding, and partly because I have a kid now (man...those are expensive).

I think the biggest issue is that I expect to get the same thrill from street riding as I do dirt riding, and I'm not sure that's possible. Navigating roadways with Buicks and semi trucks on a 400+ pound machine just can't duplicate the thrill of riding on a trail barely wider than a knobby tire while dodging trees in third gear on a 250 pound two stroke.

I'll get back in the street at some point, but I don't know what kind of bike it will be on. Right now I'm thinking I want something light and nimble, but who knows. Whatever I decide on will probably end up being the wrong choice yet again.
Annhl8rX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #60
OldTLSDoug
Mad Modder
Forum Supporter

After a year, I think I have figured it out. If I want a bike, I convince myself that I need it and purchase it.

I am only at 5 and two of them I haven't had a year yet. I am eyeballing a Futura, but haven't pulled the trigger because I have to build a shop, then continue purchasing scooters. Plus I NEED to put a V-6 in my NA Miata....I am pretty sure I need something else as well....

Life is good.

Doug "OldTLSDoug" Basinger
All Suzuki, All the time...until I'm not...
2009 Yamaha FZ1
2008 Suzuki DR-Z70
2006 Suzuki GSXR 750
2006 Suzuki DR-Z434SM
2006 Beta Rev 3 270
2000(1) Suzuki DR-Z400S(E)
G-Town Squid Squad
OldTLSDoug is offline   Reply With Quote