• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hip Armor Recommendations

jcyuhn

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for hip armor to be used in a set of overpants? It would have to attach via Velcro at the waistline and hang inside the overpants. Looking for something that is substantial enough to provide real protection yet comfortable enough to actually wear.

Back story: I splurged and bought an Aerostich Darien for riding in Scotland this past summer and fall/winter/spring commuting in Dallas. I ordered their TF3 (I think) hip armor. It's huge - like 1" thick and probably 10" tall and 10" across. Although I am sure it provides good coverage and protection, it is so uncomfortable that I cannot ride with it in place. The Darien pants are properly sized and fit me fine; they are simply not cut to accommodate such enormous armor. Googling around the internet, I appear to be far from the first person to have this difficulty.

So, what do you use, and how do you like it?

Just get them reinforced with titanium screws. That's what I did :rofl:

Thanks for the input guys. I'm really hoping to avoid the hip replacement thing for another decade or two!

Just get them reinforced with titanium screws. That's what I did :rofl:

back in THE DAY...

we used2 sew extra pockets on the outside of our jeans & stuff 'em w/ INDOOR/OUTDOOR CARPET pads :trust:

still driving my STOCK HIPS :clap:

Back