• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Experience breaking in Bell RS-1

Reaction score
I really couldn't find a good place for this so I apologize if there is a better sub forum.

I'm considering the purchase of a Bell RS-1 and am really struggling with size selection. It appears I'm between a Medium and a Large though the match of shell shape to my noggin seems really spot on.

Does anyone have any experience breaking in one of these helmets? My concern in particular is with the crown. It's pretty snug but it might be fine after it breaks in. Thanks for any responses.

I have an RS-1 and like it pretty well. Originally I ordered a small based on their size chart, but it was significantly too small. The medium fits me fairly well.

I highly recommend getting one you can return if you don't like the fit. Overall, I would say to choose a snug fit initially, but not painfully snug. It will loosen up a little bit with use.

Thanks for the feedback. Robb, can you tell if the crown area softened up/crushed much? This is going to replace my touring helmet and have had experiences in the past where a helmet that was perfect the first 200 miles became a real pain the next 200.

I'll probably go into the store today over lunch and wear the medium for a while.

Go to Motoliberty, they can help you pick out a helmet that will fit right.

I agree. I've worked with Audrey and Peter on several helmet purchases over the years so have a good sense of my head shape and what I'm looking for in a helmet. I'm really wanting to hear about how the RS-1 specifically breaks in since it feels like I'm in between sizes.

I have an RS-1 and can't remember it breaking in much. Maybe a little less snug, but nothing that sticks out in my brain. I do love my light sensitive visor.

Thanks for the feedback. Robb, can you tell if the crown area softened up/crushed much?

Not for me. It was more of an overall loosening. It you have hot spots, I've heard that you can mash the Styrofoam a bit with your fingers. I wouldn't do it much, though.

Not a recommendation or endorsement of the following practice. But I have used a baseball bat to shape the foam of many helmets over the years to customize the fit. I hold the helmet in one hand and use the bat for adjustments.

Not a recommendation or endorsement of the following practice. But I have used a baseball bat to shape the foam of many helmets over the years to customize the fit. I hold the helmet in one hand and use the bat for adjustments.

One of the guys a Moto Liberty did a very similar process on a helmet that I bought and it worked like a charm. I had some pretty bad pressure on my forehead and it turns out that compressing the styrofoam about 1mm in a few spots did the trick.

Yes, I am fully aware that I just removed 1mm of potential shock absorbing material from the helmet. But I also removed a high spot that might concentrate the energy of an impact.

I hope this reply didn't come from Prison! :doh:

Aggravated assault of a helmet with a deadly weapon? :rofl:

I like tight helmets. I have used the back of a spoon with great success.

Back