• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Camping Gear Suggestions

REI has some great gear - their name branded stuff is generally top notch (and I've bought a bunch) - I also recommend checking out Campmor.com. They will usually beat REI price by 10-15% for the same gear. they carry most of the Eureka tents and other backpacking and camping gear to fill out any gear list. Only problem is that there's no touchy-feely on the gear - which is important to most of us.

REI's 40 degree and 60 degree sleepign bags are great for cycle camping. a liner (polypro) adds 5-10 degrees warmth.

for packing, I really like the Moto-fizz bags (see Aerostich gear). they also carry other moto-camping gear.

Jetboil - works
Marmot precip jacket
REI raingear
GSR cook gear, dining sets
outdoor gear kitchen pack
kelty gunnison tents (2 and 4 person (predecessor is the Teton)) - really well built
Eureka - value for money is great
thermarest or REI sleeping pad (Don't scrimp)
DO take a pillow
Black Diamond AAA lantern
microfiber pack towel

Last edited:
Stove:
Jetboil. Got this for a x-mas present a few years ago, gathered dust for about a year before I tried it. Thing ROCKS! Found ways to heat up cans of food by placing rocks around the base and setting the can on the rocks. Boils water for my press in a minute. (for coffee, turn it off at first sign of boil).
You can also use it to heat the tent in the morning so you don't freeze yer butt off while crawling out of the bag. :clap:

You can putt a little water in the jet boil cup and then drop your soup in the cup (with the lid pierced so you don't blow it up and dont' let the water displace over the top of the can) When the water heats up it transfers all that heat to the can and in turn your food. I've warmed up cans as large as a Campbell's Chunk Soup can in 10 minutes or so. You can use HEAVY DUTY ziploc bags in this manner as well to make all kinds of things.

For camp lighting you don't wear or carry I carry a 16 foot LED strip roll. Takes up little space and I soldered a 12v plug onto it so I can run it off the bike. You can also run the strip off a 9v battery if you felt so inclined. I ran one strip on a 9v battery over night for 8 hours and it was still producing useable light at the end. I've never ran my MC battery down with one they draw very little power, between 4 and 5 watts.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EHHLD8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage"]Amazon.com: Triangle Bulbs T93007 - Waterproof Flexible LED Strip Light, 300 LED's, 3528 SMD, Pure White, 16.4 feet / 5M: Home Improvement[/ame]

Rather than start a new thread I thought Id add to this one.

There are some great camping gear sales going on now. Backcountry.com has MSR Pocket Rocket stoves on sale for about $32.00. Campmor and CampSaver also have some great prices on all gear.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/back...il&utm_term=0_a3d9c06051-73d2f4fc00-315732701

A couple of more recent, and periodically active, threads where you might want to post this are:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88016&highlight=camping

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99365&highlight=camping

Gas Camping Stove Burner
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q6QTCEM/ref=gbps_tit_s-3_4782_d8ca3ea7?smid=A99MZGWBBIGK9&pf_rd_p=2292984782&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Q2YMETWX3RJ8XX4VV41"]Amazon.com : Etekcity E-gear Portable Collapsible Outdoor Backpacking Gas Camping Stove Burner : Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Cool! Thanks for the info, gonna order a couple of 'em. Say Howdy to Zippo for me.

Edit: Done, but ordered 3. :mrgreen:

I've been out of the country for about a month but am on my way back. I'll let them know :) I have a bunch of these rolls of LEDs now and love them. They are not only useful for camping but even around the house haha.

DIONTX your link is no good, at least on my computer.

Last edited:
REI has some great deals today. ENO sleep system (hammock, bug net and rain fly) and their REI dash tent, 2 man tent weighing less than 3 lbs. both 50% off.
I already have the hammock, but I'm thinking about asking forgiveness on the tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a tent, after going through several iterations, I found a two man tent with doors on each side and dual vestibules (under the rain fly). Side doors mean you don't have to crawl over your stuff to get in and out, and one vestibule can serve as a "closet" for gear and such. The Jetboil just didn't work for me, I'm using a MSR whisperlite, carry a small skillet, and found a nice 17 oz. kettle along with a collapsing (silicone) coffee cone that uses a Melitta style #4 filter. It packs up nice and small. Also, Costco has a nice 2.5" thick self-inflating pad that holds up well (although Costco only carries it seasonally, they have them now). I tried one of the 4" tall cots; it sleeps well, but is a pain to get out of because you're 'down in the valley". I have also found that a nice sized piece of shade cloth can be very useful either as a footprint for the tent or as a windblock, and of course for shade in certain situations.

Sounds like you've done pretty well. Have you camped with it yet? If so, tell us how it works in practice.

Like so many things, camping is the kind of activity that isn't done just one way. Everybody has the same basic needs and encounters the same problems. Solutions, though, can be radically different.

I switched to a dual door/vestibule tent about a year and some change ago and will never go back. Amazing having those dual doors and storage options. And when the wifey camps with me she has her own door to crawl in and out of when she needs to go to the tree.

Back