• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

San Antonio to Big Bend by way of 90

Did you make it? I'm in Terlingua now. I'm leaving early Tues morning.

I have done that ride quite a few times and will be doing it again this 4th of July. The fun starts after leaving Del Rio towards Alpine . I Recommend The Maverick Inn hotel in Alpine. I always use Alpine as my base when visiting the Big Bend area.
Ride Safe & Have fun:sun:
I did a ride with my buddies back in April and stayed at the Antelope Lodge in Alpine & is an old style motor court built in the late 40's. Each little cottage contains 2 rooms & each room is different and unique. Some have colored cement tile or linoleum floors from the 1950's while others have carpet. Furnishings and artwork also vary from room to room and some even have the original cowboy oak furniture from the period. I like the older places to stay... just a little more character than newer places, especially the chain motels/hotels.

That whole area is a magical place & a real Texas treasure. :thumb:

One suggestion is go west on I-10 to Sonora and take a Left. Go south and work your way across to Juno, then down to Comstock on Hwy 90. You'll follow the river and its an interesting twisty road,...or as twisty as you can get.

An alternative is to take a Left at Junction and go down by way of Rocksprings, GREAT breakfast tacos at the gas station there in town. Then make your way across thru Juno to Comstock.

Either way, there's lots of open range so watch for cattle.

I go there 2-5 times a year and 90 out of San Antonio is my favorite route because I've just grown to hate I-10 and the views are much nicer. My favorite gas stops are the Chevrons in Hondo, Uvalde, and Del Rio. Sanderson begins the Permian Basin gas station chains that you'll also find in Marathon and Terlingua which are also good stops for fuel. Ride south from Marathon, into the Park, and you'll be rewarded with great scenery and if you've lost the isolated feeling you surely developed before Sanderson don't worry, as you'll quickly be reminded within 5 miles of leaving Marathon. LEOs are easy to spot from far, far away so don't be afraid to pick up the pace if you're good on gas.

For Terlingua lodging, The High Sierra is accomodating, convenient, and fair, but the luxury award goes hands down to .... crap I suddenly forgot the name... But it's owned by the same sweet lady who also owns La Posada Milagro, the best breakfast in the region. Air BnBs are fairer priced (luxosuites are upwards of $180 a night) but clearly lacking for comfort. Enjoy your time in Terlingua and talk to the shop owners. They're quirky and fun people.

Have you picked a date yet? Fall weather is usually nice and the Chisos Basin is normally 8-12 degrees cooler than the rest of the park with a spectacular view. Camping in the fall is usually not an issue. Yes there are bears in the Chisos, I've seen em, but they are timid and prefer to run away.

That guest accommodation he speaks of actually is called Posada Milagro. Mimi runs it and the coffee shop Esspresso e Poco Mas. Best breakfast hands down here.

The last I heard, Kathy was working at the Starlight, but reading the Terlingua Moon seemed to indicate she has a shop of some type there at the "Y" (vintage clothing maybe?).
The availability of gas is not a problem in BB; consciousness of how much gas you have can be a problem. I'd recommend being able to fix a flat, and always carry more water than you think you need.
There is a much higher percentage of law enforcement officers compared to the population than you'll find almost anywhere (when you include all the feds in the area).
That being said, one can still find ways to get in trouble "en la frontera".

My wife and I hit BB a few times a year, our next trip is for Thanksgiving. Being in Georgetown we always take 29/377 and catch 10 in Junction. As far as scenic ways to get there from Austin/Georgetown is 90 worth the extra time to get down to San Antonio?

Most times my wife and I split our trip between camping and staying somewhere. Since most of what we are doing is hiking in the park we try to stay in the park and love the Chisos Mountain Lodge. The restaurant there is one of my favorites anywhere solely for that view. We have done some really cool AirBnB stays in Terlingua, as well as the La Jitas resort. La Jitas is nice but was a bit too resorty for us,so we have only stayed there once. Yes I get that it's a resort and I don't know what we were expecting, but it just felt weird to us. This will be our first time staying in the state park and we are pretty excited. For the last three years we thought the state park was just a giant chunk of land where the only road/access was that paved road going through it (170 I think). I haven't been there with the bike yet but I'm hoping to make trip before the end of the year.

That still is the only paved road. It is 26 miles of dirt to get to the Sauceda visitor center and bunkhouse. At over 315,000 acres BBRSP constitutes more than half of the land area of the entire state park system. It is the least developed, and the least visited. It is a mountain biker's dream. More than 60 miles of improved trails plus enough back country trails to put together a 100 mile bicycle loop. When you come to town gas up every time. The closest gas station to Sauceda is in Presidio.

Sorry for the late response. Another trip took precedence (going to AZ to see my sister) and the BB trip is tabled until spring of 2018.

This has had a lot of good info and allowed me a little extra time to get some extra items that will come in handy.

Back