• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda CRF 250 Rally

Reaction score
First Name
David
I was at a dealer today and the bike caught my eye. Any thoughts on the bike for off-road, weekend trips, etc. Your opinions would be appreciated.

I liked that first video that KP posted (haven't watched the second one yet). There's another thread on TWT about what bike would we like Santa Claus to bring us--I didn't post there, but this would be the bike for me. I swang a leg over one at a dealer, but haven't ridden one.

CBR300 engine bolts right in and perks it right up, why Honda has not figured it out baffles many.

Webnel here on TWT has one. You could pm him or maybe he will see this.

I was at a dealer today and the bike caught my eye. Any thoughts on the bike for off-road, weekend trips, etc. Your opinions would be appreciated.

CBR300 engine bolts right in and perks it right up, why Honda has not figured it out baffles many.

Dang. 340 lbs. Little red pig. LRP. Lol

I haven't ridden the CRF250 Rally yet, but having owned a CRF250L for a couple of years now, and also a KLX250S for some three years prior to that, I can comment re: off-road & week-end trips.

1st of all, I concur with frenzy & JMZ that Honda missed the mark by not putting a little more grunt in the Rally, at least a variant of the available CB300 engine, if not, say 325 or 350 up to 400 cc's, as it seems lots of folks are seeking a lighter weight motorcycle that is competent for minimal maintenance unpaved roads (such as in 1st video linked above) that can also maintain 75 mph on the highway. With sufficient cc's, I suspect the Rally, with its extra weight and fairing, could do so. I say "suspect" as my CRF250L (and the KLX250S and any similar dual-sport motorcycle), at least in my experience, does not function well at 65+ mph. Seems the weight, wheelbase, steering geometry and aerodynamics are not appropriate for such speeds.

Now that being said, I have enjoyed both 250cc motorcycles as a weekend all-road light-tourers. Both the CRF/KLX250's travel comfortably on the highway at 61 mph (per GPS), which is well suited for the smaller state highways here in Louisiana and up in Arkansas that I prefer to travel, and both excel at exploring county roads. The primary reason I replaced the KLX is a friend offered to sell me his CRF with a larger aftermarket gas tank. I have found the CRF is a little better highway bike than the KLX, as it it a little heavier and its engine has a little broader torque curve. Once the road deteriorates to bumpy oil-top or gravel/dirt, the KLX is a little better than the CRF. I am not confident that the CRF250 Rally would be particularly adept at true off-road travel, such as single-track, etc.

So, in response to your query, the CRF250 Rally should be a good mount if the riding style matches the bikes abilities; that is, traveling most any road, paved or unpaved, with sustained highway speeds of, say, under 65 mph.

Caveat: These observations are from a fellow who also enjoys riding TW200's :pirate: and sidecar rigs

Last edited by a moderator:
Honda did turn up the power for 2017, the rally should make in the ball park, stock, what a previous years crf250l does moded with tuner and exhaust.

mine is running a tooth smaller on the counter shaft and is perfectly happt to run a true 60mph all day long and return 60mpg.

I agree the 250l will run 60-65 very easily with 13T counter sprocket Its still a bit buzzy.
The CRF250l is to heavy as it is. The rally just added weight. I would love a 250 lb 300-400cc adventure bike with the very low maintenance that makes 40 hp. If we're a parallel twin so that it was super smooth and not a vibrating beast would be amazing.

can you say CRF500L rally!
attachment.jpg

That would be great. I have a cb500x Rally Raid and really like it. It weighs in at 430 lbs with the farkles. Shave 100 lbs off would be great.

Well, to tell the truth, I just bought one yesterday so after it shows up in my hands, I'll let you know. :flip:

Nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Well, to tell the truth, I just bought one yesterday so after it shows up in my hands, I'll let you know. :flip:

Kat, my supreme congratulations. It's a wonderful, all around motorcycle that you will enjoy custom farkling and riding for years to come. It's 250 cc's will be plenty fast enough since you have much less gravitational pull than the hefty ones complaining about the missing 300 cc engine. Perhaps a thread about your new bike adventures is possible?

Awesome! Congrats! How about some pics of you & the bike?

What a neat bike, & should fit a lot of riders well.

Have you come up with a name? What happened to poor ol Q (I'll bet you done forgot about him)?

First, apologies for the GIANT picture. Tapatalk got a little crazy. I'll see if I can fix that!

Second, thanks y'all!!! Because a lot of you have slogged through years of me and Q and the endless "What's next?" debate :-D

Q is going to his retirement home where he will be loved and pampered and get to live in a garage and play in the backyard with chickens and sheep. I have already demanded visiting rights to my beloved buddy.

I have to admit that I'm kind of looking forward to running down a highway at 75 without having to apologize to my bike the entire time :lol2: At least, I assume I will be able to do so. If not, you'll hear all the whining!

I'm heading out of town this weekend so the new (temporarily named) Red Ranger is hanging out at the shop, enjoying his last days of indoor living. I expect I have a lot to learn from this critter. We'll ride together, take a few naps together, and we'll get along eventually.

Pics will follow and maybe, if I can remember, I'll write up a few of our adventures in hitting the road. Possibly literally more than a few times.

:flip:

so when are you getting your leg extensions done? :lol2:

I have had mine three years now and have only had to tear the engine down once.

Jealous. I want one :giveup::sun: I told my buddy who is thinking of getting one that I'd report back to him when you let me take it for a test romp lol

Back