• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cloudcroft Sept 1st - 4th DSing

I plan to be based out of the Saddle campground and making Sept 1st & 2nd riding days on the trail systems. I may be headed out from Cloudcroft on the 3rd (maybe a morning ride).

Not going to make it this time. Hopefully I can catch the next one. Enjoy

Last edited:
I'll be at my usual spot in CC Labor Day weekend. Not even taking a little dirt bike, but will have the dual sport and could have my arm twisted.

Man, I want to get back up there and ride some more of the trails.
Chasing Johnf3 around was fun - even with the log hopping.
Beautiful country.

How does the trails hold up with the daily rains (from what I can tell) over the last week? Just trying to get an idea if later this week they'll be good to ride. luckily, I've never been to CC when wet, but looks like it drains pretty well?

How does the trails hold up with the daily rains (from what I can tell) over the last week? Just trying to get an idea if later this week they'll be good to ride. luckily, I've never been to CC when wet, but looks like it drains pretty well?

Depends. The daily rains are the normal weather pattern this time of year, however they are usually spotty showers and not full coverage rain storms. If the trails are truly saturated then some become much more challenging and some not ride-able. When the ground is already saturated like it is in places now, a quick rain shower can turn the trails nasty in a hurry. Think greasy black dirt with oiled roots and teflon rocks. The red dirt around West Side Road turns to clay and it will stop you in your tracks. There are some pictures in someone's ride report that shows this.

The forest service roads are mostly rock so they are usually always passable. I have ridden up Russia Canyon Rd with a veritable river coming back down the road and made it no issues.

Good news is that somewhere in the forest the trails will usually be good to go. If you have to, you can go 25 miles south of Alamogordo and ride Red Sands. It is truly epic if the sand is wet.

Last edited:
I wound up in the Pines campground around the corner (there's a very anti dirt bike park host in the saddle campgrounds).

I wound up in the Pines campground around the corner (there's a very anti dirt bike park host in the saddle campgrounds).

Just curious, since that is a forest service campground, is that a park rule or just the host?:doh:
Probably doesn't matter if they are being a butt.

Last edited:
Got setup just after a rain. The park host was making his own rules and I understand management will speak to him about it.

Any photo's from the ride. I have a cousin lived in Timberon and he says he lost his home there to a large fire a little while back. Was wondering if anyone rode down in that area and could tell me what it looked like after the fire?

Back