• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chain question

Reaction score
What does the 532 refer to when specifying a 532-110 chain? I understand the 110 refers to number of links.

Will a 530 chain work on sprockets made for a 532 chain?

Thanks.

The simple answer to your question is no. In the real world, the answer is maybe. The difference is so small that it might work. I personally wouldn't do it though.

The first number in a chain is its pitch in 1/8th inches. For instance a 530 chain has a pitch of 5/8" or .625". A 420 chain would have a pitch of 1/2" or .5".

The second and third number set the width of the chain. A 525 chain would be 2.5/8" or .3125". A 530 chain width would be 3.0/8" or .375".

And second set of three numbers does indicate how many links.

Skid

Stephen Max said:
What does the 532 refer to when specifying a 532-110 chain? I understand the 110 refers to number of links.

Will a 530 chain work on sprockets made for a 532 chain?

Thanks.
The 532 refers to the pitch of the chain.. And no, you do not want to mix sprockets and chains of a different pitch

Skid nailed it :giveup: I spent too much time thinking about the answer :yawn:

Skid said:
The simple answer to your question is no. In the real world, the answer is maybe. The difference is so small that it might work. I personally wouldn't do it though.

The first number in a chain is its pitch in 1/8th inches. For instance a 530 chain has a pitch of 5/8" or .625". A 420 chain would have a pitch of 1/2" or .5".

The second and third number set the width of the chain. A 525 chain would be 2.5/8" or .3125". A 530 chain width would be 3.0/8" or .375".

And second set of three numbers does indicate how many links.

Skid

Thanks, Skid.

So a 530 and a 532 chain both have the same pitch at .625". but the 532 chain is .4" wide and the 530 chain is .375" wide. I take it that is the width between the inner surfaces of the side plates and determines sprocket thickness? Is there a standard clearance between side plates and the sprocket surface?

Stephen Max said:
Is there a standard clearance between side plates and the sprocket surface?

Honestly, there might be, but I have never looked into the subject any deeper. I just researched it enough to know the basics of the measuring system. I guess if I were to ever design sprockets I would need to know more.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Skid

Back