• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Intercoms

As far as I can tell about intercoms for bikes, "cheap" and "effective" are mutually exclusive. Save up and by an Autocom or Beahr. You won't regret it.

David

Ironically, somebody on another board asked about the Starcom and I did a short write-up on my decision when I purchased one. Maybe this will contain some useful information for people.

=-=-=-=-

I know there are more than just one comment. Within the past couple of months I asked about intercom systems and that was one on my list.

As a reference point, I will say that there are some very positive comments on the autocom unit here and on other boards. While not nearly as many comments are available for the Baehr units, people also seem to love them. As far as I can tell people who own the Starcom also love them.

Now, if everybody loves them which is better? I have also observed that much like the choice in bikes (or computers), this is a very subjective subject. In the ideal world you would be able to test out each intercom, but there are very few starcom and baehr retailers, so you end up buying direct from them or through one of the many internet retailers. Autocom retailers seem to be much more plentiful, which could come in quite handy.

All this said, after my search, I found a Baehr unit on the used market that hadn't ever been installed, but once I added up all the parts I needed to get it on my 04 RT, I decided the cost of entry was too high. I tested the autocom at my local dealer and it seemed to work, but I really wasn't impressed with the audio quality from the mic and that's one of the main reasons you get one. It could have been the setup of the unit at the dealer, but it was enough to make me think twice about the autocom unit. Unfortunately, there were no discounts or ways to test the starcom unit. But, once I added up the cost of the autocom vs. the starcom with equivalent packages, the starcom was less expensive and starcom would allow me to return the unit if I wasn't happy with it. That was enough for me to decide to pull the trigger and order the starcom. I have been very pleased with it so far. The couple of times I had issues, it was because either I didn't fully read the instructions (find a switched power source if you buy the bluetooth option), or something a simply adjustment on the unit itself cleared right up. They support at starcom via email has been wonderful.

Wayne

Back