• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dad and I; Dallas/ Ft Worth to Moab

Abner Ravenwood

My Email is Dead!
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Stephens
Hey guys,

I am calling on the wonderful TWT community for help and guidance on planning a long distance trip with my Dad. Heres the scoop:

We both ride dual sport thumpers. Dad is on a 99 KLR, I am on a 08 XRL. We are wanting to ride our dual sports from DFW to Moab Utah, while in Moab, explore White Rim and Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods. The work our way south thru northern New Mexico. Explore the Turqouise Circle and do some Dual Sporting in the Mountains. We are also looking to do some camping in there also.

So my plan thus far (feel free to help critique it):
Day 1: Leave Grand Prairie, slab it to Dumas, Tx
Day 2: Dumas up thru northern NM into CO, maybe Alamamosa?
Day 3-6: Moab for 2-3 days, explore the back country, camping possibly.
Day 6: Head south into New Mexico working our way to Taos, Red River area.
Day 7-8: Explore Northern New Mexico, Santa Fe area.
Day 9-10: Slab it back to Tejas. Tired and wanting to go back.

Other than the obvious gear we need to take ie: camping equipment, tools, first aid supplies, small food. Anything special we need to take?

I know to take spare tubes, patch kit, MONEY, etc.

How am I doing so far? I am about a year away from actually leaving. Needing to line up work vacation, and save money. The miles don't bother me, its the unknown of taking such a long trip on the bikes. The only other option we have is to rent a SUV/ truck and trailer and haul them to the certain stopping points and doing day rides and HOPEFULLY hooking up with some fellow TWTexans to help show us around.

So what say ye? Any help needed? Or am I doing good so far?

Chris

Abner,

From my newbies experience...I have learned a lot just being with the TWT group on the pie runs and the campouts. Some of the members have an incredible amount of knowledge but the best way to tap it is to sit around the campfire.

I turn 66 tomorrow. From several recent experiences, I can say that being able to pick up your bike is essential. My Super Tenere lays over flat and with a full gas tank and gear must go way over 600 pounds. Jason and Darien helped me outside of the Davy Crockett campground and I was glad to see them. I know a KLR is lighter but loaded it may approach 500 pounds. It wouldn't hurt for your father to regularly work out in a gym. Lay that bike down in the yard with a 50 pound load strapped to the seat and see how hard it is to get it up by himself.

Enjoy the planning,
Robert

Moab rocks. You'll will love it. That said, I'd rent and trailer the bikes to the destination. That is a long way on a DS

Moab rocks. You'll will love it. That said, I'd rent and trailer the bikes to the destination. That is a long way on a DS

That is starting to be a big possiblity. Saves the bikes and our bodys.

Chris

There are several threads old and newer talking about NM and CO.

The Rockies
heading towards NM this week
Rampart range road + phantom canyon road,CO

Are you crossing around Clayton.NM?

The enchanted circle is great. The road 434 from Mora,NM to the circle is twisty and 64 to Chama,NM from the circle is very nice also. There is a train ride based out of Chama,NM or Antonito,CO that you might enjoy also. Coyote creek looked nice for camping last time. Drew

Ok... If it were me I would do it this way. Warning scenic and twisty roads ahead. Now the first part I have not been on. The Raton to South Fork part. Seeing where your crossing and all this is the way I'd go.

25 north from Ranton,NM to Walsenburg,CO.
Then Walsenburg over to South Fork.
OK this is where it gets good,really good. Take 149 north from South Fork to Gunnison. This road is as crooked as a politician. You and pops are gonna love it.
At Gunnison do not I repeat do not miss the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.
Now from Gunnison to Montrose thats 50.
Next 550 "the million dollar highway" from Montrose to Durango.
Then to Utah from there.

If you need places to eat or motels if you decide not to camp let me know. In NM or lower CO I can help. Drew

Bring PLENTY of Water. Hydrate,hydrate,hydrate. The above post is great information as far as getting there. All excellent roads. I also agree, your bikes are not made for long distances, so I would trailer. I am not a big fan of trailering but in your case it makes sense.

My suggestions are as follows.
1) trailer there and back. Its a beautiful area and looks like you're short on time. Don't waste time droning through desert if you don't have the time. Plus, moab can sneak up on you if your not careful. This way you have an easy out if something happens and tools back at base camp.
2) Water, water, water. I cannot say this enough for the area.
3) standardize as much as reasonable. No point in bringing duplicates of non critical tools etc. Also buy any 'known' issue parts ahead of time. For DS its always good to have a parts bin. If you don't bring it with you, advise a friend how to get and ship what you may need.
4) not sure what riding gear you plan, but dress in respect to planning to fall on rough terrain.

I haven't been to moab personally, but from living several years in death valley do the following.
1) test your survival gear in a good wind. Know how to set it well in rocky terrain. A bad windstorm can make for a miserable/unsafe night.
2) check high and LOW temps. Just cause it may hit 100+, doesn't mean it won't freeze at night.
3) get some form of PLB (personal locator beacon) or similar device. Check in with the ranger and let them know your plans and if you use spot, set them on your contact list. They will be able to help you better than anyone else in the area.
4) learn the local dangerous wildlife and how to deal with it. Usually rangers can help with this. Always check your gear before using it. Scorpions don't like it when you want their newfound home back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I am looking into trailering out there.

The plan is to check in at the local ranger stations to check about wildlife, where TO go and where NOT TO go. We will not be camping if we trailer, we will use the Motel as a base of operations. I have looked into getting a SPOT to wear on myself while out in the desert. Tools and nessecary parts will be taken. Both myself and my Dad will have Camelbaks and water onboard. That is the last thing we need is heat stroke in that beautiful back country. First aid supplies and snake bite kits will be on board as well.

Am I missing anything?? Anyone wanna tag along? LMAO

I have realized that we do not have the right bikes or time to ride from DFW out there and back. The Hill Country on the XR is "Doable" but not the distance I have mapped out. I need a S10 or something of the sort.

Chris

Back