• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

RE-RIDER!

Shhhh...be Ve-wee, ve-wee, quiet; I'm hunting Wee-bits. Heheheheh :rider:

Attachments

• ElmerFudd2.jpg
    ElmerFudd2.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 180
:tab I would recommend doing a refresher course. I have known many people that used to ride years ago, got back into it, did even the basic MSF course, and commented about how even a basic course did wonders for their confidence and basic skills.

These guys are sponsors here on TWT,
http://twtex.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149

But any similar course would be good.

:tab If you rode before and were competent then there really isn't a good reason why you should not be able to handle something like the VStrom 1K if you can get your feet on the ground. I personally preferred the 650 over the 1K though, despite having a bit less power. I just thought it handled better. That said, the 1K has been a very popular bike.

Right again Tmeister.

I've found a couple classes scheduled in the Houston area in January. From class descriptions, it seems the beginner MSF is for folks trying to get their first M endorsement? If I read that correctly?

I've kept my M endorsement on my driver's license since I was 16. Maybe i need a more advanced course? I'll research this more soon. Definitely want to update my old riding habits.

:tab Yeah, the basic MSF course is for those getting a license, but also for those that might want a basic refresher if they've been off bikes for a while. There is also an MSF advanced course. I believe the guys in the link I posted offer both basic and advanced riding classes. If you really want something good, do an entry level track day, regardless of which bike you buy. That will do wonders for your street riding skills!

Thanks so much, will definitely be looking into my options with these riding safety courses. This and joining 'group rides' memberships, I am told by my insurance agent, will allow for some discounts in my policy.

It's a Ween-Ween. :doh:

:tab If you do a trackday, your insurance should cover your bike. Track days are NOT competitions. They are closed course instruction schools with very strict rules about what you can and cannot do while on the track. I did a few when I had both USAA and Progressive insurance on my bikes and both companies covered the bikes (I called to be sure). I did not have to use them though ;-)

Back