Originally Posted by stephanl View Post
test

test test
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lano View Post
test:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M38A1 View Post
'ya know..... there's an easy way to do the quote thing. It's the little button down in the lower right of the post you want to quote. Click that and it automatically grabs the entire post as a quote, USERID included and imbeds it in your post. Then, edit as necessary to get the specific content you want.

There's also a "+" button next to the quote button.
test again

(Gone but not forgotten)
2005 M50 Suzuki Boulevard
1983 Honda 650 Nighthawk
1980 Honda CM400T
stephanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #42
M38A1
Administrator

Re: How to include images in your posts

I think you've got that one mastered now!

"The older I get, the more I believe our snowflake youth are born pre-offended" - Me
"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Conservation of Stuff: Stuff can be neither created nor destroyed. It only changes ownership" - Me
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #43
stephanl

Quote:
I think you've got that one mastered now!

OK. Thanks for your help. computer illiterate here. I want to share some pics from shutterfly on this computer. ??

(Gone but not forgotten)
1983 Honda 650 Nighthawk
1980 Honda CM400T
Old 09-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #44
M38A1
Administrator

Posting pics isn't that hard.....

1) Do you have the pictures already loaded on your home computer or laptop?

2) Do you have a free photo hosting account with someone like Flickr or Photobucket?

"The older I get, the more I believe our snowflake youth are born pre-offended" - Me
"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Conservation of Stuff: Stuff can be neither created nor destroyed. It only changes ownership" - Me
Old 09-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #45
stephanl

Quote:
Posting pics isn't that hard.....

1) Do you have the pictures already loaded on your home computer or laptop?

2) Do you have a free photo hosting account with someone like Flickr or Photobucket?
Yes I have pics on shutterfly on my computer. No I don't have Flickr or Photobucket. Whick do you suggest?

(Gone but not forgotten)
1983 Honda 650 Nighthawk
1980 Honda CM400T
Old 09-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #46
stephanl

Test: add image
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1362.jpg  

(Gone but not forgotten)
1983 Honda 650 Nighthawk
1980 Honda CM400T
Old 09-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #47
M38A1
Administrator

If your pics are on shutterfly, that should work to get them displayed here.... I'm not familiar with shutterfly inside, so you'll have to do a little hunting and pecking on your own.

However......... If you find the image you want on your shutterfly account, somewhere with that picture should be a LINK field, or HTML code button. It might look something like this:
(IMG)http://www.shutterfly.com/stephanl/m.../trip.jpg(/IMG) but the ( ) will be [ ].

Can you find that on shutterfly?

edit:
OK, what you did above was to "Attach" a picture which works just fine within certain parameters of size. I was going to try and walk you through linking pics to display a bit larger, but not huge...

Old 09-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #48
stephanl

Test. these are added through browse. not sure how big pics will come out. Is that why Flickr or Photobucket is needed?
Attached Thumbnails
22.jpg   21.jpg   29.jpg  

(Gone but not forgotten)
1983 Honda 650 Nighthawk
1980 Honda CM400T
Old 09-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #49
M38A1
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanl View Post
Test. these are added through browse. not sure how big pics will come out. Is that why Flickr or Photobucket is needed?
Flickr, Photobucket, Shutterfly - they're all the same in that their servers actually host the picture. Then what you do to get it to display here is provide the URL or internet address of the picture hosted elsewhere with the proper code and it displays.

For example, the url of the following picture (again using ( ) instead of [ ]) is this:
(img)http://m38a1.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/20100911-Stunters-Bikini-Bike/BikiniWashStunt-5875/1003663650_GTdSR-M.jpg[/img]

But displays here as:

The picture itself is hosted on smugmug's servers, we grab the internet address of the picture and drop it here.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #50
stephanl

I also just got photos on a new Apple computer(on iphoto app on computer). Does this work the same or should I still get Flickr/Photobucket?

Thank you for patience and your HELP!

(Gone but not forgotten)
1983 Honda 650 Nighthawk
1980 Honda CM400T
Old 09-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #51
M38A1
Administrator

Let's back up just a bit....

Having pictures on your computer is one thing. You can attach them from your own computer much like the three shots a few posts back. But they are attachments to viewers and have to be clicked to see a somewhat larger version. If you're not logged in, you don't even see the pictures, just 'attachments' as a link you then have to sign in to click and view.

Having them hosted at a host site such as shutterfly, smugmug, flickr or photobucket is another option most everyone uses. That allows the pictures to be pushed up from your computer to THEIR site, then you grab the internet address of the picture and post that in THIS site. The viewer won't have to click any little pictures and larger versions display automatically regardless if the user is logged in or not.

Any of them are fine, and you said your pictures already on shutterfly, right?

Old 09-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #52
stephanl

Ok. That helps. Not all are on shutterfly. But the URL address thing is a bit confusing. Does the address always pop automtically up or do you have to add it? And I see your point about making the pic a bit larger, mine were too small.

(Gone but not forgotten)
1983 Honda 650 Nighthawk
1980 Honda CM400T
Old 09-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #53
M38A1
Administrator

OK, do this just to get the hang of it....

Open two windows, one here to get some direction, and a second to open your Shutterfly account....

Let me know when shutterfly is open.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #54
stephanl

Shutterfly is open.

(Gone but not forgotten)
1983 Honda 650 Nighthawk
1980 Honda CM400T
Old 09-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #55
M38A1
Administrator

OK, go find a picture you want to test with. Make sure it doesn't violate our code of conduct, ie: make it a benign picture.

When you find that picture, SOMEWHERE around it would be something that says HTML, LINK, URL, BBCODE or something like that.... you might have to click on the picture itself and get it to display by itself instead of in an album, I'm just not sure how shutterfly looks inside......

Let me know if you see ANYTHING like that or ANYTHING that looks like: [IMG ] shutterfly.com/blahblah[/IMG ]

Old 09-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #56
stephanl

I clicked on the pic and there is 13.JPG close to it.

(Gone but not forgotten)
1983 Honda 650 Nighthawk
1980 Honda CM400T
Old 09-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #57
M38A1
Administrator

OK, sort of bad news......

I googled hard linking shutterfly pictures and it appears they won't allow that from their site. So...... I'd recommend going over to Flickr.com or Photobucket.com for free accounts. I think if you have a Yahoo! email address, your userid/password works on Flickr as well.

Personally, I have a pay-for-site at smugmug.com and a freebie at Photobucket. Many friends use Flickr and it seems popular.

A long time ago I had a Kodak gallery that wouldn't allow direct linking and that's what forced me to change where I stored my pics for display on forums.

Starting about post #92 and using Photobucket, here's a good discussion I had to get another user up and posting...
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...t=25568&page=5

Sorry I can't help much more than that at the moment...

Old 09-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #58
stephanl

You have been a HUGE help! I guess shutterfly isnt such a good one for this. I will try Flickr. Now, what entails getting photos over to Flickr from shutterfly?
Can it be done?

BTW, could the capitol of wierdness be the most awesome Austin? Also,my dreambike is a BMW R1200RT, now that they have a lowered suspension and seat height it may be doable some day soon for my 5'2" frame!

(Gone but not forgotten)
1983 Honda 650 Nighthawk
1980 Honda CM400T
Old 09-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #59
M38A1
Administrator

There would be no way to transfer pics from your existing shutterfly account to another easily. You mentioned you have a new computer, but am I to assume you don't have your data/pictures loaded on that new machine?

My understanding is, that you'll have to have the images on your computer or at minimum a CD/media stick to upload them from to the new host (flickr in your case).

So..... ASSUMING you have all your images on a computer you can connect to the internet with or a disc/stick for a computer that can connect, it should be fairly easy. Just open the new flickr account, create an album (I think you get three albums for their "FREE" enrollment) then start uploading via their uploader the images.

In some respects, that's why I like Photobucket. You get to have as many albums as you want and you're only limited by space used, something like a couple GB of data I recall.

All it takes is an email address for either.

One thing to consider is how long you think you'll be tied to that photo host or your images. Once you start with one, you're sort of tied to them to at least log-in every so often to keep the account active.

Or.... you pick something like Flickr Pro or Smugmug which are Pay-For sites and pay an annual fee for them to host your images.

But for now, we've got to get the account somewhere for you in order to start creating albums to upload pictures to....

Follow so far?

Old 09-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #60
stephanl

Got it. I think I will go with Photobucket then. What is the annual fee for smugmug? So what I need to do is get a stick, copy photos from shutterfly, and then open the account and download them to Photobucket?

(Gone but not forgotten)
1983 Honda 650 Nighthawk
1980 Honda CM400T